• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who would you prefer to be right now? Lance or Floyd.

One has all the money in the world, a foundation, fame, 7 Tour titles. However won't admit all of this came by deception and its about to be indicted for a Federal trial which will be very expensive and probably result in a prison term.

The other is broke, owes money to lawyers, will be probably be charged with perjury, is considered untrustworthy but has confessed all his sins and is free as a bird.

Who would you rather be right now? Floyd or Lance.

Floyd every day of the week.
The man has a conscience, Lance, not so much, to say the least. And history will be kind to Floyd. He has already paid for his sins. Lance's fall and day of reckoning await him. And his fall could be catastrophic. Anyone that knows Floyd likes him....the opposite is said of Lance and what kind of person he is.

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Lance. Because he has money and there is still a chance that the public will accept his redemption if he chooses to confess- even now at this late stage.

Landis has neither.

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Floyd - he has shown that despite the lies he still has something left and that's a little bit of integrity.

Lance has never had any of that :rolleyes:

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Sanitiser said:
Lance. Because he has money and there is still a chance that the public will accept his redemption if he chooses to confess- even now at this late stage.

Landis has neither.
Nah - the only way for Lance is a full confession, that will never happen.

Money will never buy Lance any integrity or a clear conscience. He is a very poor man.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
As I've said before...

I'd take this
images

over this
images

any day of the week.

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Floyd,

As has been said, while he may do some bird for Lieing under oath he is no longer burdened with the double life and the stress involved.

I think Armstrong believes he is untouchable. I believe he will be in denial for a long time.

Money can buy most things but not piece of mind. Floyd can face everything in front of him knowing that he cannot feel worse than he has in the past.
That is priceless. How much of his fortune would Armstrong give for that right now?

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Lance will look out for Lance.
He grew up poor and won't spend money defending himself to the poor house and leave his children the same way. If it makes sense for him to 'clear his conscience' he will do it. And the truth is most of the general public will forgive him due to Livestrong etc.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
If you asked me TODAY (knowing what I know) I'd actually pick Lance. I'd get into therapy, go on Oprah and spill it. Check into inpatient therapy, wait six-twelve months, sell the jet, come out with a book and TV deal. Then I'd overhaul the foundation's stated goals and actually work to fight cancer. If I were Lance, I'd be in that ugly conference room plotting Lance 4.0.

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
"Who would you rather be right now? Floyd or Lance."

Armstrong, without a doubt. He's got the money for nothing, and the chicks for free.

What does Floyd have, besides $80,000 in debts.......Wait, make that $580,000 in debt. Pending possible prosecution for fraud. Zero love life. Zero credibility, and .....oh yeah.....no job.

Armstrong has enough money to worm his way out of any legal problems. If need be, he can always have witnesses eliminated.

However this turns out, Armstrong will end up untouched. he is too big to fall.

Landis, on the other hand, can never redeem himself.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:
One has all the money in the world, a foundation, fame, 7 Tour titles. However won't admit all of this came by deception and its about to be indicted for a Federal trial which will be very expensive and probably result in a prison term.

The other is broke, owes money to lawyers, will be probably be charged with perjury, is considered untrustworthy but has confessed all his sins and is free as a bird.

easy Floyd. the only way is up, with a clear conscience. for the other the only way is down.

Ecowarrior18 said:
Money can buy most things but not piece of mind. Floyd can face everything in front of him knowing that he cannot feel worse than he has in the past.
That is priceless. How much of his fortune would Armstrong give for that right now?

Cancer vs Jail?

Anyhow, I'd probably pick Floyd too. Conscience etc.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Lets see....

I'm a procrastinating slacker with a fear of public speaking.
Hate to fly too.

Seems I am not well suited to be a Lance.
Better suited to be a Floyd maybe.....

Although if I were a Lance, I COULD always just hang out at the bike shop and troll cycling forums lol.

Shoot, maybe I will rename my shop "Mellow Johnnys" and pretend I'm Lance...

"Dude, yo hog, are you STUPID? Lance or Floyd wtf?"

Cool. Now I have to rename my kid.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
MR_Sarcastic said:
"Who would you rather be right now? Floyd or Lance."

Armstrong, without a doubt. He's got the money for nothing, and the chicks for free.

What does Floyd have, besides $80,000 in debts.......Wait, make that $580,000 in debt. Pending possible prosecution for fraud. Zero love life. Zero credibility, and .....oh yeah.....no job.

Armstrong has enough money to worm his way out of any legal problems. If need be, he can always have witnesses eliminated.

However this turns out, Armstrong will end up untouched. he is too big to fall.

Landis, on the other hand, can never redeem himself.

yep just like Bernie Madoff, JP Morgan and Conrad Black, or Pres Nixon even.

All too big to crash and burn:rolleyes:

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Sanitiser said:
Lance will look out for Lance.
He grew up poor and won't spend money defending himself to the poor house and leave his children the same way. If it makes sense for him to 'clear his conscience' he will do it. And the truth is most of the general public will forgive him due to Livestrong etc.

I certainly see this long term outcome for the American general public and of course all the fanboys and girls.
By its very nature it would be a "play" but hey ho that`s sadly the world we live in.
However I`d be stunned if he retained much favour in the cycling publics world.
TBH a better arena of compettion is the best possible outcome once the dust settles but realisticly that has ZERO chance of being substantive if Paddy Mc Fibsbad @ family and Heinz Pud survive the impending hearings and what they reveal.

Heres hoping they dont eh!:)

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Sanitiser said:
He grew up poor and won't spend money defending himself to the poor house and leave his children the same way. If it makes sense for him to 'clear his conscience' he will do it.

You know, I disagree. Landis shows some emotional maturity in the Kimmage interview, but look how hard it was for him to get there. He had to lose everything first. I think Armstrong is an even more flawed character than Landis was, and will hold on to the lie even more tightly. In fact, I do not believe he will ever give it up.

Regarding forgiveness by the public: maybe. The problem is that being clean was so important to Armstrong's image. He's not revered by many simply because he's a great bike rider who may or may not have doped but does a lot for cancer education. He's revered by cancer survivors specifically because he represents the ability of humans to triumph over disease. Doping goes right to the heart of that.

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:

I don’t see the deception. I accept that doping is widespread and I've made my peace with that fact. I consider Lance as the rightful winner of 7 titles on the same mertis that I consider AC the rightful winner of 2010. I don’t think either men was the best doper, but simply the best over the rest, period. They’re both great sportsmen, and while Landis was a fine athlete, I don’t consider him to be in the same league. So in short, Lance, surely.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Captain_Obvious said:
I don’t see the deception. I accept that doping is widespread and I've made my peace with that fact. I consider Lance as the rightful winner of 7 titles on the same mertis that I consider AC the rightful winner of 2010. I don’t think either men was the best doper, but simply the best over the rest, period. They’re both great sportsmen, and while Landis was a fine athlete, I don’t consider him to be in the same league. So in short, Lance, surely.

that shows little understanding of the doping and its effect on riders :(

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Practically speaking, I would rather be Lance. He still has a chance to get through this with at least some of his finances and image intact. However, my feeling is that if Lance does get through this without a conviction, history will regard him as another O.J. Simpson. From a mental/emotional health perspective, I would absolutely want to be Floyd. Mental/emotional health is much more important than finances or public image, so I choose Floyd.

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Speedzero said:
You know, I disagree. Landis shows some emotional maturity in the Kimmage interview, but look how hard it was for him to get there. He had to lose everything first. I think Armstrong is an even more flawed character than Landis was, and will hold on to the lie even more tightly. In fact, I do not believe he will ever give it up.
Regarding the Kimmage transcript it's interesting Lance's take on the UCI. He knows they are the greater force and tells Landis to lay down regarding the Mercury payments. Lance knows the game and is a pragmatist. The only reason he lies so much is that people believe it.

Speedzero said:
Regarding forgiveness by the public: maybe. The problem is that being clean was so important to Armstrong's image. He's not revered by many simply because he's a great bike rider who may or may not have doped but does a lot for cancer education. He's revered by cancer survivors specifically because he represents the ability of humans to triumph over disease. Doping goes right to the heart of that.
This has been discussed a ton of times on the board, editorials etc. People are willing to forgive him for the 'good works' he has done.

TRENDING THREADS