• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who would you trust to run a clean cycling team?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
al_pacino_scarface.jpg

Dear Wiggo said:
Didn't like doping or didn't like training and racing hard? Is he earning more now as a manager than a rider? If so, there's the reason he left, not coz he didn't like doping. He's smarter than the average rider and probably saw team managers getting soft and fat and earning more than he did and decided to go another route.

Plus he had a high hct naturally (allegedly) so his doping boost was diminished significantly. His results are not all that great, according to wiki.

It's my theory he just wasn't cut out for the pro rider life and the doping was but a minor component of his inability to stick it out.

I'm impressed that you know his motivations, career and the atmosphere of professional cycling in the early 2000s so well, yet had to use wiki to know any of his results.

Anyway, in response to the original post, at this point I'm ready to say Vaughters. Also, in direct relation to the report, Frankie Andreu. Brian Smith has me convinced enough. Someone else that comes to mind is Steve Bauer, he's reputed as one of the squeaky clean ones of the 80s. I don't trust anyone who's new to the sport, necessarily, as even if they're avowedly anti-doping, if they don't know anything about how a cycling team runs, they could just have their head in the sand (Stapleton, possibly Brailsford).

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
Sarcastic Wet Trout said:
Why not former dopers? I would think a repentant doper could be an effective choice as they understand the motivation and mechanics of doping.

There's a certain undercurrent attitude here that once a doper, always a doper. I don't believe that has to be true.
Well, I believe that's almost always the case. I can't see how a truly repentant doper would want anything to do with the top level of the sport once he's out.

Sep 23, 2009
Visit site
Bratam said:
I say Johan Bruyneel. Surely he has learnt his lesson and can now be trusted to run a clean cycling team ! LOL just kidding

I was watching a video of the team preparing for the 02 Tour and he came across all cuddly, not that I find it to be a believable persona considering what he has done in the name of becoming a winning loser, 7 times!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=4LMpY0_kYGc&feature=endscreen

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
This is a tough question because the potential DS has to fufill two criteria:

1. Not be a cheater
2. Be a good manager

Weeding out everyone who cannot fufill #1 doesn't leave a lot of guys who would do well at #2. Madiot is a fair to good manager, his team gets some results, but nothing compared to the big teams.

You could go with a former rider who didn't dope, but then it becomes a question of knowing everyone's history. I don't know everyone's history, so either WADA and its associated organizations need to go Lance on everyone in cycling's past, or I need to use a crystal ball.

If it is an ex-rider, I would want someone who was at least somewhat successful. For some reason the name Gilbert Duclos-Lasalle popped into my head, but I'm not sure if he has ever been a manager or would be good at it, because he has been a TV commentator and not a manager.

Graham Obree would be interesting, but how much of a road background does he have? To be honest, my knowledge of him is only what I read in his book and the film with Johnny Miller. What I do like about Obree is that he thinks outside of the box. And his first choice when innovating seems to be equipment as opposed to medicine.

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Kimmage; and he's not otherwise employed at the moment.

Oops, no - former doper.

Ok, me. I would only trust me to run a clean team. No-one else anymore.

But, seriously Kimmage certainly has the passion, would run an open team and would make the perfect replacement for JV as head of the union. That would really get up McQacks nose. Unfortunately he might not be able to find any riders who meet his standards of clean.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
armchairclimber said:
He has. This year. You just don't believe it...which is fine. You're entitled to be ignorant. Time will show me to be right though.

I think time will show you to be paid to post on the Internet to defend a team or rider. It's not unusual. You claim physiological knowledge but share nothing, explain nothing, add nothing, then take a poke at Froome, hoping to deflect attention from Wiggins.

You cannot even keep your story straight...

armchairclimber said:
Wiggins is clean. Don't know about Froome or Porte, Rogers etc. If SKY are going to be interrogated it should be the Leinders issue. Kerrison, meh, a sideshow. Performance...nothing to see (no performance indicative of doping).

Every performance this year of autobus Brad was indicative of doping.

Here's your wisdom: note, acoggan did not reply to your post debunked (again) here. I would dearly love him to, as you were writing in response to him agreeing with you, but for some reason he never returned to validate your ... understanding of physiology. Perhaps you could email him and get him to back you up?
armchairclimber said:
The way I have understood this, with regards to Wiggins, is that

1. He has (earlier in his career) been able to compete at a very high level on the track and on the road without ever having to fully train his lactate/anaerobic system....this is all relative of course.

Brad did nothing on the road till doped 2009. Nothing. I have debunked every single example offered as indicative of Brad having any ability as a road rider. Please, show me one example of him being provably any good on the road.

As for the track? Very average fish in a very tiny pond.

Anyone who knows anything about physiology knows you train your anaerobic system to do the IP. In 2006, Brad is doing Tabatas for a 4.1km road TT. Essentially a road IP. You think he didn't do them for IP? You think Tabatas don't train the anaerobic system? You do claim or try to come across as understanding physiology. Perhaps you could insult me now, and tell me to grow up like uncle Krebs, or perhaps you could disagree with what I am writing and show me the error of my ways. Pretty comfortable it will be the former.

armchairclimber said:
2. This would have been his weakness in GTs...he could TT well (ride quickly aerobically) but would be challenged by steep mountains/explosive mountain attacks

In 2006 he was between world championships @ 4km IP, and olympic gold medals in 4km IP (2004, 2008). In Dauphine 2006 he was hitting the exact same power (580W) as those world champs and olympic gold medal rides, he did a 4.1km road TT and came... 21st. He had 2 weeks training in Mallorca to specifically fine tune for this single, 4.1km TT performance. He had a mechanic, masseuse, and video techs all for him for to train for a single stage. He came 21st. He would need 10% more power to match the winner's time. His performance at longer TTs compared to world-class athletes was consistently as poor.

6. No way round this...training on long steep hills at altitude to add the peak to the aerobic base.

This is false physiology - training at altitude makes you slower. Altitude = low oxygen = hypoxia = reduced power = lower intensity training. Ask Armstrong, who complained about no top end - Ferrari replies via his son that that is because he had trained at altitude, not enough at sea level, where you can actually generate power, and hence develop your top end. Here, let me help you:

altitudenointensity.png

Now explain how Sky comes out of an altitude training camp and finishes 3rd at a mini tour. Then does more altitude, and comes back over and over and over to dominate every single race after that one, all the way up to the Tour and then Olympic TT. Training at altitude = lowered intensity capability.

7. Waste every other rider in the team (including Cav) to drag him up those hills....as aerobically as possible.

More false physiology. Here's a clue: riding uphill longer than 4 minutes is aerobic. The anaerobic contribution for 30 minutes is 2% max. 1hr is 1%. By definition, riding up a hill is aerobic. Aerobically as possible? You mean, like, pedaling as often as possible? How do you ride uphill, which is an aerobic only activity, as aerobically as possible? Please. Enlighten us.

Fact: Rogers increases his threshold power 5-7% in a year, at age 32 after 10+ years as a pro.

There is nothing normal about Sky's performances this year. Nothing.

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
Greg LeMond
Frank Andreau
David Millar

left field?....Brad McGee (left field)

Sigh. Its sad we live in a world where so many who could be heroes, we can lack faith in them. Sad for those who are clean, sad for kids, sad for us

TRENDING THREADS