• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who's a future GT winner?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who's a future Grand Tour winner?

• Thibaut Pinot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
May 2, 2010
Visit site
For the majority who voted for Froome ... I reckon it's wishful thinking rather than an opinion based on his real chances. A couple of reasons come to my mind that dismiss him as a future GT winner:

1) The whole Sky team and himself will be under closer scrutiny after their ridiculous performances this season (considering they're not caught first).

2) Contador will be racing. This alone is enough to guess that Froome only chances of winning are an absent, sanctioned, ill or crash/mechanical-handicapped AC.

I voted for Purito. His career is peaking and he's got a least a couple of good seasons ahead. He could win both Giro or Vuelta if the parcours suits him like this year.

Tashkent Terror said:
Hello, new here folks, have been enjoying reading everyone's thoughts for a wee while now.

I would have added van den Broeck to my choices of Froome and van Garderen however I am beginning to feel that it may be unlikely now for Juergen with so many younger riders coming through.

Vdb couldnt win a giro or vuelta if he went for them anyway, but when your only dream in life is getting top 5 in the tdf and dont even try anything else, you are a safe bet for never winning a gt.

pisti is right in that De Gendt actually has a chance.

theyoungest said:
VDB is the odd one out, he's oooold.
Rodriguez is older

sartoris said:
For the majority who voted for Froome ... I reckon it's wishful thinking rather than an opinion based on his real chances. A couple of reasons come to my mind that dismiss him as a future GT winner:

1) The whole Sky team and himself will be under closer scrutiny after their ridiculous performances this season (considering they're not caught first).

2) Contador will be racing. This alone is enough to guess that Froome only chances of winning are an absent, sanctioned, ill or crash/mechanical-handicapped AC.

3) His leadership and ability to make the right decisions are really questionable.

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
cineteq said:
3) His leadership and ability to make the right decisions are really questionable.

Froome for a Giro maybe.
Pinot a good bet. But JRod for the first win out of the list, perhaps not the most.

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
The 88-90 generation is absolutely amazing. Pinot, Quintana and the colombians, TVG, Talansky, Aru... Also Sagan, Moser, Degenkolb, Vanmarcke. Nice

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Uh... yeah. But lost to Cataldo, a climber at his level. Who also doesn't appear in the list above.

/QUOTE]

Because of the great Spanish motor guy. ;)

And it's clear he doesn't have the same shape as in the Giro anyway. Thing is, Gesink will almost never come into a position like that no matter how good his legs are.

El Pistolero said:
Because of the great Spanish motor guy. ;)

And it's clear he doesn't have the same shape as in the Giro anyway. Thing is, Gesink will almost never come into a position like that no matter how good his legs are.
Say something about a Belgian, and El Calimero will inevitably respond with something unrelated about a Dutchman.

It's De Gendt we're talking about here, not whether Gesink belongs in that list (which I think he doesn't, just like De Gendt).

Voted Quintana and Pinot. I'm sure they will win GTs in the future.
Froome to be the new Andy:D
TJVG and Talansky could win GTs, but i'd prefer if they don't.
Have to wait till next year to decide on Aru and Dombrowski.
kelderman also a potential winner.

will10 said:
Gesink is massively underrated on this forum.

I think Purito's chance disappeared up the road yesterday.

I think Purito will at least win a Giro and/or Vuelta before he retires. This season has shown that he's ever so close. Gesink of course is dependent on if he ever fully recovers from his injury. I think this season's performance (Vuelta) is actually a good sign that he's slowly building back to his pre-injury level. Add to that he's still rolling in the Vuelta and not in rehab due to another crash.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Voted Van Garderen, Pinot, and Talansky cause I like him. Quintana on paper should do very well in future grand tours but I'm going to wait until he does really well in a grand tour before I start touting him as the next big GT winner. Dombrowski could be added to the list, I think will also be a future grand tour contender.

I would also add Henao and Uran to the list.

TRENDING THREADS