• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who's doing the Shooting, what's this world coming to??

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
Such a shame. Reminds me of that guy who stabbed Monica Seles years ago.

Next time, Lance will hire a better shooter, or at least one who knows who Contador is (couldn't resist):)

"What's this world coming to?" inquires the title of this thread, rhetorically suggesting whatever it is coming to is not good.

Meh. These kind of incidents, are, unfortunately, par for the course in the history of humanity. There is nothing really new or different here, nor is this any kind of indicator of where the world is going.

This is a case of fairly typical moronic punks engaging in a particularly stupid and dangerous prank, this time in context that is getting world focus. Let's not blow things out of proportion.

Sad news.

Some suggest that the best way prevent acts like this from occurring in the future is to give them very minimal attention or media coverage. In this way I worry if these disruptive events aren't more common than we think.

Since they haven't been able to minimize the event I hope they clearly publicise the prosecution if they're able to find those responsible.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
It's them dad-burned gun control libruls, I tell ya!

When they find 'em, they'll wanna take them poor boys' guns!

Whut we need t'do is ARM THE RIDERS!!!!!!!

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
A story in Irish papers,,, Nicholas Roche was at the village depart the day they climbed Archalis (afair) Sitting down doing an interview he heard a loud bang and felt a stinging pain in the back of his knee, he looked down to see a stream of blood coming from it. He taught he had been shoot but they couldn't find the pellet!!!! Weird **** going on!

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Reminds me of the guy who stopped Merckx winning his 6th Tour by punching him in the liver and breaking his jaw so he couldn't eat or drink

Mind, Merckx, not being human, still finished second.

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
Ninety5rpm said:
"What's this world coming to?" inquires the title of this thread, rhetorically suggesting whatever it is coming to is not good.

Meh. These kind of incidents, are, unfortunately, par for the course in the history of humanity. There is nothing really new or different here, nor is this any kind of indicator of where the world is going.

This is a case of fairly typical moronic punks engaging in a particularly stupid and dangerous prank, this time in context that is getting world focus. Let's not blow things out of proportion.
Gosh, I'm sorry I got so alarmed, I just don't recall anything like this happening at any races, EVER. But hey, maybe you're right why don't we just shut this thread down, so that the shooter(s) doesn't think that they can get more attention by repeating that little act. We'll act like it never happened. For a moment I thought we were all heading straight toward Armageddon, Thanks for straightening me out. I don't know what came over me!:p

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
where was Lemonds brother in law during all of this?
Seriously there are nuts every where and as someone pointed out Merckx had his jaw broken by one.
a more life threatening possibility i noticed on one of the descents was cars parked on the narrow road. Coming around one of the blind curves this spectator who had been having a smoke on the drivers side had to flatten himself against the car door in order for the rider to clear him. There was no possible way at 50 mph+ for that rider to alter his line more than a few inches. If that door was open we would have had a seriously injured or dead rider...

lean said:
Some suggest that the best way prevent acts like this from occurring in the future is to give them very minimal attention or media coverage.

That supposes that the person is doing it for publicity. He could just be an a-hole who gets off on the "hunt." I am pretty skeptical of all calls to restrict the news.

A more effective way to disrupt the Tour would be to spread caltrops in a corner of a fast descent.

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
runninboy said:
where was Lemonds brother in law during all of this?

Or **** Cheney? :D Didn't he shoot up a wealthy supporter while doing some hunting?

NB: see the CN censor algorithm is at me again for putative naughty word.

NBB: RichW I didn't see you got there first with the Cheney comment!

TRENDING THREADS