• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Whose Reputation Bonks with Lance?

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
This assumes a grand jury indictment of LA and JB, but not necessarily a conviction.

(Reputational damage scale is 1-10; 1 is small and recoverable, 10 is an unredeemable disaster, a career changer.)

LA: 8 (10 with conviction and prison time)
JB: 10
GH: 4
LL: 5

Carmichael: 6
Lim: 8
Ferrari: 10
Bill Stapleton: 6
Thom Weisel: 2

UCI: 10

Bicycle Magazine: 5
Bill Strickland: 7
Sally Jenkins: 8
Rick Reilly: 1
Phil Liggett: 4
Paul Sherwin: 2
Bob Roll: 7

Livestrong: 7
Mellow Johnny's: 8
FRS: 8
Radio Shack: 5
Trek: 6
Oakley: 1
Nike: 2

Others?

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
In terms of diminished reputation I don't see media players taking a hit. They can fall back on "I just report on what I see and what I'm told." And Bob Roll? First of all someone had to have been taking him seriously.

I'm with Scribe on Ferrari. That reputation went into the toilet years ago. Lim stands to lose big time, he was tied to Team Clean between his time with two teams with dirty reputations. I bet he wishes he was still there, and I bet JV misses him like he missed Wigans in the TDF.

Bill Stapleton could lose the most on your list.

Mellow Johnnies? I doubt they'll be affected. People will still want to buy bikes from a star. Bright star, faded star, fallen star, black hole, people will still want to be associated with fame.

scribe said:
I'd move:
LA up to 9.5
UCI down to 3
radio shack to 1
livestrong to 9
ferarri to 4 (unchanged for some time)

I think I have to concur for the most part, although I sure hope you are not right about the UCI as that would render this entire exercise worthless, or at least nearly worthless.
Also agree 100% with PS with regard to media.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
scribe said:
I'd move:
LA up to 9.5
UCI down to 3
radio shack to 1
livestrong to 9
ferarri to 4 (unchanged for some time)

How about the reputations that will be vindicated/enhanced?
All Clean cyclists +100
Betsy Andreu +10
GL +6
many more...

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I think that Paul Sherwin is more tied to Lance than Phil. As such if either of them is to be affected, I think Paul will be more so.

That said, I really don't think it will impact either of them at all. Indirectly it may result in lower viewing figures from the US but that isn't their reputation.

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Roll, Ferrari, Bruyneel....sorry but the "reputation" of these fools can't really fall any lower. In fact, I think Ferrari will actually take perverse pride in being undeniably named as the masterful "prepatore" behind a 7-time Tour winner.

Bill Stapleton? Isn't he LA's longtime business manager/ambulance chaser? Again, can't fall any lower. An unscrupulous wh0re is still a wh0re.

Additions:
Floyd +100
Anybody who dissed Floyd -100
All those who believed that the US was a cycling "superpower", while France "just sucks": -200

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
leftover pie said:
would the USA in general have a diminished reputation?

Not per se, but all the Euro fans will be even more prone to chuckle at us for believing in:

a) Santa Claus
b) 7 consecutive Tour wins? ...nothing strange about that
c) Jawge Hincapie as mountains stage winner :D

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Page Mill Masochist said:
This assumes a grand jury indictment of LA and JB, but not necessarily a conviction.

(Reputational damage scale is 1-10; 1 is small and recoverable, 10 is an unredeemable disaster, a career changer.)

LA: 8 (10 with conviction and prison time)
JB: 10
GH: 4
LL: 5

Carmichael: 6
Lim: 8
Ferrari: 10
Bill Stapleton: 6
Thom Weisel: 2

UCI: 10

Bicycle Magazine: 5
Bill Strickland: 7
Sally Jenkins: 8
Rick Reilly: 1
Phil Liggett: 4
Paul Sherwin: 2
Bob Roll: 7

Livestrong: 7
Mellow Johnny's: 8
FRS: 8
Radio Shack: 5
Trek: 6
Oakley: 1
Nike: 2

Others?

Man, an idle mind is the devil's workshop!

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
The ASO should take a hit. In David Walsh's "Le Sale Tour", it's clear that the ASO's attitude to Lance changed radically after LA's reputed hostile takeover bid for ASO. There was a senior management restructure, reputedly as part of the deal to withdraw the bid, and LA was invited back to the Tour, publicly rehabilitated in the eyes of ASO.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
leftover pie said:
USA: ?

would the USA in general have a diminished reputation?

Depends what happens w/...
DeeZ
JonV
George
Levi
BobbyJ
We already know about Floyd and Tyler.

Without them, all we have left is Farrar.

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Page Mill Masochist said:

UP..
Ashenden, Kimmage, Walsh

Down
Coyles Ed and Daniel

I'd say Carmichael's going to take quite a big hit.... for someone who's very publically positioned as himself Armstrong's success.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Tim_sleepless said:
UP..
I'd say Carmichael's going to take quite a big hit.... for someone who's very publically positioned as himself Armstrong's success.

I would say that Carmichael is in the same category as Bob Roll. His reputation would bonk if it weren't close to zero anyway. Does anyone take Clown Comical seriously?

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Cobblestones said:
I would say that Carmichael is in the same category as Bob Roll. His reputation would bonk if it weren't close to zero anyway. Does anyone take Clown Comical seriously?

Not on here, but he sells a book or two, plus has a reasonably substantial coaching business.

Mar 20, 2009
Visit site
Sadly "Tour de France winner" takes a hit, which means that in the eyes of the general public, LeMond goes down, not up. "If the great conquering hero needed extra blood to beat the non-Americans, then LeMond must have done it too" etc.

ProfTournesol said:
The ASO should take a hit. In David Walsh's "Le Sale Tour", it's clear that the ASO's attitude to Lance changed radically after LA's reputed hostile takeover bid for ASO. There was a senior management restructure, reputedly as part of the deal to withdraw the bid, and LA was invited back to the Tour, publicly rehabilitated in the eyes of ASO.

So is it now pretty much assumed that Retirement 1.0 was about being told he was no longer welcome at the Tour rather than any desire to "spend time with the family"? If so, puts another complexion on his 2005 preach.

Geez, thinking about this...

Spring 2009 I (and an associate) came *this* close to completing a project that would only require Lance's signature to go live. It would have involved at least $1M of nett donations for Livestrong (.com most likely by lack of our research, double ouch), and very modest gains for ourselves, just the publicity. It really was a deal he would not have been able to refuse, and it was all about his greater glory. Sucking money out of fanboys and bike hipsters.

Who do I go to thank that we failed to get our act sorted in time to send him the presentation? For a few months I was ****ed for not having been able to step into the opportunities arising when Lance returned to racing, just when we were about to launch our operation.

So thankful to have failed, and be left empty handed in this endeavour. Perhaps all the hurdles that popped up on our path were small hand outs from fate...

I was a fanboy, and wanted to contribute to something great. As pure and good our intentions and motivations (buddy's dad is an unlikely cancer survivor, I lost half a dozen family members to it), it would have been the worse that could have happened. We'd be in so much trouble now...

Velonation are reporting that Landis implicated the following:

LA
JB
Hincapie
Zabriskie
White
Barry
Rubiera
Azevado
Ekimov
Noval
Beltran
Padrnos
Verbruggen
Andy Riis
Lelangue
Och
Ferrari
Lim
Pepe
Duffy
Kristin
The Bus Driver.

Leecheimer has been brought into it too.

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
I think some people on that list should be less concerned about their reputation being sullied from Lance's problems, and more worried about their own skin. Lim, Weisel, Stapleton, Och (not listed). Add other medical and business staff not listed...

These guys are BIG boys and know that when you sleep with a *****, you wear a condom, otherwise you run the risk of getting a STD.

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Cobblestones said:

Carmichael does!

I read somewhere recently that the DB actually gets $35,000 for public speaking fees, my guess is that after all of this he will be lucky to get $3,500. The guy does not even have a degree in EP . . . just amazing!

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Cycling as a whole take a big hit as well.

Not because it's Lance, but rather because it involves so many people. It was similar with the Festina affair. Cycling is still viewed in a negative light due to what came about from that... and this would have a similar impact (much worse in the US).

We all know cycling never really stopped being filled with doping... but much of the tarnish from the Festina trial has worn off over time. While it may be better for the sport in the long run, in the short run when the average person hears "cycling" after this goes down... DOPE will be what they think of.

If cycling gets clean because of it... then it will probably be a worthwhile exchange. But I'm betting it's more like the aftermath of Festina... one or two relatively clean years before everyone picks up where they left off.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
I think I have to concur for the most part, although I sure hope you are not right about the UCI as that would render this entire exercise worthless, or at least nearly worthless.
Also agree 100% with PS with regard to media.
cycling authorities have survived scandals before, and they will again. I mean, look around, 95% of this board thinks contador is clean. Lemond says the new generation is to be applauded (inferred clean). The fix is in again, they cannot match the testing to the newest methods of doping. They will continue to let sleeping dogs lie.

TRENDING THREADS