• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Why Alberto Contador will never be a champion for the ages

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Some have asked why I didn't count Paris-Nice and other one-week stage races in his palmarès. Well, it's for a simple reason.

For non-legendary riders, one-week stage races play an important part in their palmarès. They're very nice races, with nice histories and lots of prestige. But, for true cycling legends, such races are chickenfeed.

No-one remembers Indurain for winning Paris-Nice.
No-one remembers Gimondi for taking Volta a Catalunya.
No-one remembers Anquetil for triumphing in the Vuelta al País Vasco.

Only a handful of races are true legend-makers: the grand tours, the big classics and the WCs, perhaps with the recent addition of the Olympics. That's it.

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
senatorrick said:
Yes fine to discuss his career to date, but that can be done I. The Contador thread but to already dismiss him as a legend when he's still racing is bull crap
I think it could also be interesting to discuss the different views on what constitutes a legendary rider. Since it's settled we can't come up with a universal definition, if we could focus on discussing the matter in positive terms (that is, without laughing off others' choices)... Unless of course it's been discussed many times already when I wasn't around.

For example, when the discussion started, there was someone I almost instantly thought about. While he's the rider from 40s and 50s and by the OP standards his palmares may not be comparable to the all-time greats (though he did win a GT and a monument), his story is one of the most inspiring I can think of - and for me, that shows that history remembers more than plain results and legends are also made of something else. Even if he isn't remembered by non-cycling fans.
I'm talking about Fiorenzo Magni. He won the Giro three times but what does it mean compared to his 2nd place in 1956? The story of his ride in this race, particularly on Bondone stage is IMO a legend in itself.

Netserk said:
That Karpets crashed him? That he got injured? His time loss in the first stage?

Those are good points. However, I think those were a lot less of a factor than his Giro hangover. IMO, I think he would've lost even without the crashes, but we will never truly know.

Luck has played a roll in his past TDFs, but I don't see that he has ever lost the race solely because of bad fortune. This year could be a legitimate case, but he was already 2:30 down on Nibali at the time of his accident.

BigMac said:
Only two of those. I don't think Schleck is. I have explained why I consider Cadel and Valverde more legendary than Contador. I'd prefer to win the World Championship over any amount of Grand Tour's there is. And I don't think I am the only one. I would switch two L-B-L over a serious amount of Grand Tours. And I don't think I am the only one. And regarding this last case, Valverde, If there is any doubt from me on how he ranks against Contador regarding legendary status, I said that Alejandro winning this year's WC would make it clear.

He clearly stated Contador fans (read fanboys), of course not everyone posting in this thread.

Cadel is more legendary than Contador????? Okay.:rolleyes:

HyperMartin said:
Some have asked why I didn't count Paris-Nice and other one-week stage races in his palmarès. Well, it's for a simple reason.

For non-legendary riders, one-week stage races play an important part in their palmarès. They're very nice races, with nice histories and lots of prestige. But, for true cycling legends, such races are chickenfeed.

No-one remembers Indurain for winning Paris-Nice.
No-one remembers Gimondi for taking Volta a Catalunya.
No-one remembers Anquetil for triumphing in the Vuelta al País Vasco.

Only a handful of races are true legend-makers: the grand tours, the big classics and the WCs, perhaps with the recent addition of the Olympics. That's it.

But, a lot of people will remember 2009 P-N, or 2014 T-A. Because Contador won/lost in a spectacular way.

djpbaltimore said:
Those are good points. However, I think those were a lot less of a factor than his Giro hangover. IMO, I think he would've lost even without the crashes, but we will never truly know.

Luck has played a roll in his past TDFs, but I don't see that he has ever lost the race solely because of bad fortune. This year could be a legitimate case, but he was already 2:30 down on Nibali at the time of his accident.

TDF, the race that has given him most grief, according to the man himself.

2004 - was scheduled to ride but got ill
2006 - was scheduled to ride but Puerto screwed him over
2008 - could not defend his title
2010 - won but result stripped
2011 - 5th after lots of crashes and many ups and downs. Result stripped.
2012 - missed because of his ban
2013 - **** poor form
2014 - crashed out

it's not all bad luck but in most cases it is

LaFlorecita said:
TDF, the race that has given him most grief, according to the man himself.

2004 - was scheduled to ride but got ill
2006 - was scheduled to ride but Puerto screwed him over
2008 - could not defend his title
2010 - won but result stripped
2011 - 5th after lots of crashes and many ups and downs. Result stripped.
2012 - missed because of his ban
2013 - **** poor form
2014 - crashed out

it's not all bad luck but in most cases it is
You could also add 2009 (Because of Lance the meanie) ;) Though perhaps a bit far-fetched

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
But, a lot of people will remember 2009 P-N, or 2014 T-A. Because Contador won/lost in a spectacular way.
Does anyone but the most dyed-in-the-wool, hardcore cycling fans remember a particular one-week race from 1984?

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
HyperMartin said:
Does anyone but the most dyed-in-the-wool, hardcore cycling fans remember a particular one-week race from 1984?

Dauphine Libere 1984 Martin Ramirez beats Hinault!!!
The begining of Colombian cycling in europe. LEGENDARY!

stutue

BANNED
Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
I can't bring myself to like any GT winner since the 80's, but I do have a respect for Contador that stems purely to what he did in 2009.

That took balls.

Contador's reputation is inflated over an objective measure by his fanatic fans.
They're building his personality cult in a manner of the officers of a totalitarian regime.

Did you know he rode Bola del Mundo on 53x11 at the age of 9?
... Uphill, off course.

sir fly said:
Contador's reputation is inflated over an objective measure by his fanatic fans.
They're building his personality cult in a manner of the officers of a totalitarian regime.

... Uphill, off course.

You forgot on a steel frame while carrying groceries in his basket, a backpack full of books and two flat tires. :D:p

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
sir fly said:

... Uphill, off course.
its not only by what his fans do.every proffesional cycling related person knows Contador is a legend.You can see it from interviews etc

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
ILovecycling said:
its not only by what his fans do.every proffesional cycling related person knows Contador is a legend.You can see it from interviews etc
Sportspeople are conditioned to always praise their peers: every single win is thanks to your teammates, every single rider you beat is a worthy opponent, and every single rider who beats you is a legend.

I'm exaggerating, of course, but you get my drift. So take these glowing reviews with a pinch of salt.

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
Futuroscope said:
Champions of the past would never dominate in todays cycling world as they did back then. Riders such as Merckx and Hinault would be champions in this day and age but you wouldn't see the same type of dominance across the board.

Just like Wayne Gretzky dominated the NHL in the 80s he would be the best player in todays game (assuming he was born in 1991 instead of 1961 and was allowed to benefit from the natural progression of the sport) but there would be no 200 point seasons. The average skill level has gone up to such a degree that it would be impossible.

Marianne Vos is doing a Merckx as we speak. She's just unstoppable.

That said I believe contador is a legend. At least in the top ten best ever. Mental strength and will seem to be his greatest assets

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS