• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Why didn't Wiggins help the Shreks?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Animal said:
Agreed.

Surely Ventoux will be a different story. That will be absolutely full gas. Only the Champs Elysee procession to come, so everyone will be au bloc once the gloves come off.

And how soon will that be? Is there a team strong and confident enough to hit the base of the climb with the same attitude that Saxo and Garmin hit Verbier?

Saxo has to go a tutto at the base of le Ventoux, if they want Shleck to have the best possible chance.

But so much depends on today's outcome and the TT. For Armstrong may be on the ropes, like yesterday, today, with the difference that today is much harder and so he may go down. If so, and if Alberto Contador gains time again, and the TT doesn't shuffle things up much, then I can't see Astana having any real incentive to start the fireworks at the bottom of le Ventoux. Whereas Garmin hasn't demonstrated the balls to do so yet, also because they still don't know how Wiggins will hold up, not having any previous performance to base their asessment of his at this year's Tour.

I go with Saxo at the base of le Ventoux. Although I haven't considered a Sastre on his game like at Vesuvio at this year's Giro. If he finds that kind of form, then he could be a potential spoiler. Though, even so, I can't see anybody dropping this AC. At least if he doesn't have a bad day like at Paris-Nice.

Yes, Saxo will have to put everyone into hurt so that the climb starts with the pack in pieces. And they have to do that without Jens. That worked OK for them at Verbier, it seemed to make things difficult for Armstrong,

The roads at the base a great for Cancellara. He'll be slaughtering them on the approaches to Bedouin, and the couple of k of faux plat after that. Hopefully, the Sorensens will be up to the task after that.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Captain Serious said:
Is it just me, or is all the talk by Philby and Paulo of 'helping' and 'pulling' on climbs a bit of a joke, because there's virtually no slipstream? Pacing is one thing, but 'pulling' when they're doing 22km/h? Carm on!

Errr, there is significant slipstream even at low speeds.

Even if it's a low 1-2% (and it's really more), 1-2% are a huge difference at that level.

Also, weight does less than Aerodynamics on most climbs. Weight is overrated.

Animal said:
Yes, Saxo will have to put everyone into hurt so that the climb starts with the pack in pieces. And they have to do that without Jens. That worked OK for them at Verbier, it seemed to make things difficult for Armstrong,

The roads at the base a great for Cancellara. He'll be slaughtering them on the approaches to Bedouin, and the couple of k of faux plat after that. Hopefully, the Sorensens will be up to the task after that.

Saxo should be talking to Garmin. They both have an interest in getting rid of Armstrong.

dadoorsron said:
Tomorrows stage will be crazy hard. However, you have another down hill finish.
Agreed. No question

dadoorsron said:
30-50 seconds behind and you should be able to come back to the lead group. The GC leaders following dave Z. made up a minute on the descent. Unless you drop your rivals by more then 2 minutes It's almost a waste of energy to try. If you do attack Within the first 2k on the climb if you don't have more then 50 seconds on your rivals you should turn the gas off and save the energy. If the chase group stays within the 50 second mark you will get caught on the way down.

Nope. It's a totally different decent, besides being half the distance. A lot of it is pretty straight road, few hairpins. Less braking, accelerating out of bends etc.
Maximum take back? 20-25 seconds, 30, at a pinch.
The combined length of the final two climbs is 16.5km, not the 8.8 of Verbier.
Ramps on the Romme of 11-12.5%
Overall average 8.7%.
2 minutes? I reckon Cadel Evans would settle for losing that!

Franklin said:
Errr, there is significant slipstream even at low speeds.

Even if it's a low 1-2% (and it's really more), 1-2% are a huge difference at that level.

Also, weight does less than Aerodynamics on most climbs. Weight is overrated.
Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, I think you should do a quick refresher of the scientific null hypothesis/p-value stuff before you go throwing the word 'significant' around again. Here ya go, champ; read and learn: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statistical_significance

(*zing* good comeback, Potsie :p )

I figure it comes down to exactly how fast they're riding, and whether or not there's a strong headwind. If they're riding less than 25km/h, I'd say the slipstream is virtually nothing, unless there's a monster headwind. At around 20km/h, I'd say the sliptream is totally nothing, even with a strong headwind.

El Imbatido said:
Awesome tags, BroDeal:D

"oneballacrossthegap" - That is a classic
Yeah!!!!

by the way, BroDeal is a legend, coz he says it how it is

thumb.gif