• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Why do some pro's warm up on disc wheels on their turbos?

Just seen more pictures/examples of pro's warming up on their turbos with their disc wheels. I know the big teams have big budgets and equipment costs is not a big issue for them but do they really want to shred their nice race-tub just before they start a big time-trial?

pn12st01-leipheimer.jpg

pn12st01-porte.jpg

May 20, 2010
Visit site
A lot of frames have short track style dropouts. These can be difficult to remove and reset for wheel changes and it makes it easier for everyone.

Additionally the mechanics might be too busy in cars following riders rather than back at the warm up area.

Short answer, its simpler.

I'd agree with the implication in euanli's post. It seems to be a TT stage, so they're warming up on their TT bikes, which are set up with disc wheels. And the mechanics are on course, etc. "Easier for everyone."

Also: Ugh. Rotor Q-rings on Porte's machine. :(

mr. tibbs said:

Why do you say Ugh?
I've never tried Q-rings (or any other oval rings), but I've heard from people that have that they do make a difference, and feel better. Makes sense to me.
So is your dislike just based on the looks, or do you have bad experience?

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
mr. tibbs said:
I'd agree with the implication in euanli's post. It seems to be a TT stage, so they're warming up on their TT bikes, which are set up with disc wheels. And the mechanics are on course, etc. "Easier for everyone."

As long as the course doesn't have any technical elements early on the tire should get properly scuffed up. I doubt you'd see them doing a warmup with the disc if it was wet. Managing all of those riders and bikes has to be a pain in those circumstances.

This is the routine the Sky riders used for their 20 mins warm-up. On a turbo, doing 8 mins progressive to zone 5 [i.e. threshold] & then 3 x 6 seconds accelerations to activate would take a fair bit of rubber off most racing tubular tyres [bearing in mind the top-pros threshold at 400 watts plus]. Even if the disc wheel is a spare/back-up, why would you want the spare to have a worn-out tyre? A good mechanic can change the disc to a "standard" wheel in 20 seconds, tops. Changing a worn-out tubular tyre on a disc properly will take at least 15 minutes!!!!

pn12st01-warmup.jpg

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I have never paid close attention but I see lots of warm ups on road bikes with a finish on the TT bike. Like maybe the last 5 minutes before the bike goes to the bike check? The mechanics get the bike to the corral 10 to 15 minutes before the rider starts. It is odd to think they might do their full warm up on the race bike.
Obviously the Pro tour teams are best supported in Europe where they centre their operations. Where were these pictures taken? Paris Nice? The TT was very short so maybe that justified a full warm up on the TT bike. Langkawi? Long and expensive to get a bike there as is all equipment. Who is the rider and what is his TT ability? Some riders get more attention too?

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
bladerunner said:
This is the routine the Sky riders used for their 20 mins warm-up. On a turbo, doing 8 mins progressive to zone 5 [i.e. threshold] & then 3 x 6 seconds accelerations to activate would take a fair bit of rubber off most racing tubular tyres [bearing in mind the top-pros threshold at 400 watts plus]. Even if the disc wheel is a spare/back-up, why would you want the spare to have a worn-out tyre? A good mechanic can change the disc to a "standard" wheel in 20 seconds, tops. Changing a worn-out tubular tyre on a disc properly will take at least 15 minutes!!!!

pn12st01-warmup.jpg

They even have custom sticky tape.This marginal gains thing is getting out of hand.

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
How does warming up on a brand new tubular in any way "shred" it? They probably just want to use the equipment they're going to be using in the race.. quick little swaps right before a race could 'cause an issue occasionally.. Also warming up on your TT bike for a TT makes sense, you want to stretch out your spine and get adjusted to that ridiculous bike.

FabulousCandelabra said:
How does warming up on a brand new tubular in any way "shred" it? They probably just want to use the equipment they're going to be using in the race.. quick little swaps right before a race could 'cause an issue occasionally.. Also warming up on your TT bike for a TT makes sense, you want to stretch out your spine and get adjusted to that ridiculous bike.

+1

a 45 minute warm up doesn't wear the tyre down. it's not like they're running this set-up in training all winter.

May 28, 2010
Visit site
simo1733 said:
They even have custom sticky tape.This marginal gains thing is getting out of hand.

Personally I'm a fan of most of their "marginal gains" crap. Looks pretty cool and maybe it helps... except the helmet covers. They need to be destroyed.

Fus087 said:
Why do you say Ugh?
I've never tried Q-rings (or any other oval rings), but I've heard from people that have that they do make a difference, and feel better. Makes sense to me.
So is your dislike just based on the looks, or do you have bad experience?

Purely aesthetics. TT bikes make me ugh, too. :p