• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Why do you love cycling?

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Nowadays I am primarily a runner, but due to some recurring injuries I've been unable to run so have been getting back on the bike lots to compensate and am having a thoroughly good time. Todays ride for me is exactly why I still think cycling is a far superior sport to running, which whilst great is just too much of a 2 steps forward 1 step back sport where you constantly avoid injury and always seem to have at least one thing wrong with you.

So todays ride. I didnt get round to riding earlier in the day and then it poured with rain for a couple of hours so I figured any training was a write off...but the skies cleared and so I decided to get out and get some good work in before dark.

I head to Richmond Park, which is an 11km loop just outside of London after dodging through traffic for a few klicks and do a 2X15 session, most of a lap with some recovery time before starting again. The weather is crap, its freezing cold, the wind batters me all over the place and it's not until after the first interval I realise my toes are frozen. The second interval is naturally harder and ends on an uphill drag into a headwind, but whatever, I've come this far so only a wimp slows down so near the end.

Session finished, I fully grasp how cold I am but otherwise feel good, so chase cars and stomp home completely forgoing any cool down it's cold enough as it is. I make it home, having been out for only 80 minutes, but my legs are ruined, my fingers don't work, and my toes have ice in them.

Once inside, I mope around in my kit for a while because I can't bare the thought of stepping into a hot shower with my toes in such bad condition. When I eventually do and take off my kit the full extent of all the grease from the roads thats coated my legs becomes obvious, with clearly defined lines of spotlessly clean and filthy. I'm tired enough that I can barely do anymore than stand uselessly in the shower, clenching my toes the entire time because the hot water burns them so much.

As soon as I'm out the shower I am clean refreshed and feel great. So why does this make me feel overcome with my love of cycling? Because that was one of the crap days, but it's still a helluva lot more fun then almost any other sport I've ever done. Very little beats the feeling of getting home after a hard bike ride there is almost nothing better.

So yeah that's why cycling is awesome. After riding in the mountains, brutal races, those days where you feel like there is no chain on your bike, even a boring interval session in the rain and cold brings a smile to my face.

Yeah. I'm almost glad I'm injured and can't run :D

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Reading my post, I'm not nearly eloquent enough to explain why I think cycling is a badass sport. Its the details. Running is always just running. Cycling is rarely the same.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Ibanez said:
Reading my post, I'm not nearly eloquent enough to explain why I think cycling is a badass sport. Its the details. Running is always just running. Cycling is rarely the same.[/QUOTE

Lots of great runners become great cyclists. Very similar, you have to really punish yourself.People who ride bikes/vs race them often don't know the suffering that is bike racing. Elite runners and bike racers have a lack of some pain gene that allows them to punish themselves and everybody around them and do it with grace. I have watched some marathoners and pro bike racers and the average onlooker always thinks that they are suffering less,simply wrong they push trough things that would kill the average person.Or there is the other kind of cycling where you ride to a shop for an ice cream cone and some bacon

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
There are many days like that in cycling.

Long ago, back in summer 2005 while I was still competing on junior levels, there was one day that I will never forget. It was summer brake and one of the hottest summers since I was riding. All my teammates were either in training camp with national team or simply didn't feel like training in such heat. I don't know why, but one day I set out alone with a plan to ride some 130 km through semi-mountain terrain. I left my home in 6:15 with breakfast in my pockets an some money to replenish my reserves later on. It was work day and I was just amazed how empty the world was. It was unbelievable, the road that I feared the most had no cars, trucks, not even buses. It was only me, clear sky, no wind and 25-30 degrees C. About half way from where I started I turned back home taking different route that included one 12km climb on Kosmaj mountain. Again everything was amazingly quiet, I could here my heart beating like mad, my fork squeaking when I got up from saddle, feel my legs burning and I haven't seen I single man or women by the road. The world was mine. When I was near the top I was drenched in my sweet, with only half a bidon of water and 50km to go. Moment I got up I felt cold wind and there was before me I massive formation of dark clouds going my way that I haven't seen to that point as I was constantly riding away from them. Soon rain started pouring wind was blowing me from one side of the road to the next (I had 59 kilos and 172cm). In a same time I was glad that the heat was gone, scared to death that I will be hit by I car or a thunder and tired as I was riding into the wind.
I came home at half past ten. Belgrade was dry, no rain fell there, my brother had just got up and started his breakfast, and I just went to have a shower. Happy, tired, dirty.

Why I love it? In those four hours I experienced more, seen more and thought of more things than probably all of those who have seen that day just as one more till the weekend. I know this is probably glorified version of what happened, for sure I have forgotten all the bad things, but what I remember and how I remember it is what is important. Right?

Cycling is addictive. I had a horrible injury and I do not dare to ride again. I still run long distances but it is not the same.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
For me, I like the sensation of rolling along. I also like to think of riding my bike as my health plan. Keep the blood pressure in check, and all the other fun things related to aging.
I take comfort in the perspiring aspect,as it feels good to purge all the toxins. My disposition improves greatly after the first few minutes on the bike. The endorphins and quality sleep are just an added attraction. It's just good fun.

I also find that I notice things one just doesn't see from a car's vantage point.
For me it's also good for clearing the mind. I like to think I get some quality thinking done.

Now just to act on the quality thoughts.

I love cycling because there is nothing better than to go outside and ride. It's a beautiful sport.

The more you ride, the better you feel. And you don't have to deal with anyone if you don't have to.

And I'm talking about riding, not racing. The racing culture has it's own pitfalls and my impression of it is it takes the fun out of the sport.

Too many class-A jagoffs constantly criticizing someone else's form and equipment, aging yuppies trying to relive their youth by constantly harping on how the 20 year-olds can't keep up with them, ham-and-eggers who take PED's just to ride like pack jelly at some local race-who needs that crap.

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Hello everyone,

Great topic, I still ride and race because when I throw my leg over my bike and begin to ride I still feel the same feelings at forty years of age that I felt at twelve. Nothing else in life other than when I look at my two children does that for me. Its simply the best. JB

Mar 26, 2009
www.ciclismo-espresso.com
I've ever been a fan of endurance sports, but I like cycling cause there's a nice mix between machine and human body; the machine can be nice but your body is the true engine.

Plus I like the fact that the helthier life style you have, the better you go on the bike.
A good way for having a healthy life.

I've been cycling consistently for forty years and it is the central part of my spiritual practice. I long ago gave up on organized religion and cycling is for me a far better way to get to the truth of my existence.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
I like the answer above.

To me, above all, cycling is freedom, and a bicycle is such a perfect efficient machine.* Anyone can have a bike, and therefore everyone can be free...

To get up early in the Summer and ride to the top of a Col in the Alpes Maritime, or any hill you like, before the rest of Europe has woken up. There is no finer feeling.

Watching talented cyclists battle it out on the big mountains is great too, but there are issues an unknowns with that, so the love has to be a personal thing.

* as long as Shimano dont feck around with batteries and circuits too much.

May 9, 2009
Visit site
I love the fact that I can move the most efficient machine man has ever created with my own power. It truly is a perfect match.

(Unlike the slobs who race from red light to red light in their laughably cheezy supped up cars doing nothing more than flexing their ankle and thinking they have power!)

I've learned and experienced far, far more during my time on a bike -- riding, training, racing, commuting -- than any time spent in the confines of an automobile.

My wife says I love it because I love the wind in my face.

That's probably the real reason.

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Ah yes...the FUN part...

About 10 years ago I picked up an almost brand new Electra single-speed cruiser for $100 to use as a winter bike. Let me tell you...it was Christmas morning every single morning I threw my leg over that thing! I was doing skids and wheelies and power slides through snow drifts and basically just bombing around every where I could (no hands/no feet!). I didn't worry about shifting or hitting pot holes or screaming "Hold your line!" -- just havin' FUN!

You may not believe it but, there actually is something as "too much fun". And that bike found out the hard way. It lasted one winter exactly. Rims were gouged well beyond repair (and perhaps safety); I snapped one of the crank arms off (yes, you read that correct); at the very end of the winter, the rear hub/coaster brake sheered off as I was going down a hill. I truly wish that didn't sound so Hollywood but...what a last shot of FUN -- and FEAR!

RIP 'The Blue Beast'
<sniff sniff>

p.s. -- those wide-a$$ cruiser seats are a real treat!

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
Berzin said:
The racing culture has it's own pitfalls and my impression of it is it takes the fun out of the sport.

Wouldn't that make it a hobby instead of a sport if you don't race?

Oh and I love cycling cuz Tom Boonen rides a bike.

Oct 8, 2009
Visit site
I love cycling because I have been woeful at all sports all my life, because I have no co-ordination. Throw me a ball and I'll drop it, in aerobics I'll be heading the opposite direction to everyone else. I can't run further than about half a mile. I'm frail and weedy and any sort of uphill gradient half kills me. However, put me on the flat or downhill, preferably with a bit of a tailwind and a half decent bike, and suddenly I'm off and flying and can keep up with anyone with woeful levels of fitness.

The bike enables me to get out and about and explore the lanes off the beaten track in the area where I live. I can take in the countryside and admire the wildlife but at the same time actually cover a fair bit of distance in a day, which is what gives cycling the edge over walking. I can stop off at pubs for a beer on the way, and eat cakes without worrying about whether I'll be able to fit in my uniform on Monday. And it's a social thing, too - I go out with my husband and we ride along the country lanes for miles just chewing the fat. I've also turned cycling to good use with my friends, too - we've raised about £10,000 in the past 3 years for the Teenage Cancer Trust with sponsored rides. A lot of them have taken up cycling as a result of a silly idea back in 2007 to raise a bit of cash for a good cause.

I love watching the professionals riding properly, but it's great that we have a sport/hobby that just about anyone can indulge in and can still enjoy themselves at just about any age. I am rather proud that my first experience of stitches came as the result of a face plant off a little pink and blue bike aged 5.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
usedtobefast said:
riding on a small band of air. as close as i will get to flying. it' s just fun, mostly.
competition is a whole different question. just riding, remembering when i could ride without training wheels, freedom.:)

Flying. That's the best description of the kind of fragile freedom you enjoy on a bike.
As a sport it's the hardest, cruelest and most rewarding I've competed in. Training for it also keeps me alive.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Berzin said:
Hobbies are things like stamp collecting and fly fishing.

Cycling is a sport whether you "race" or not.

Very well said. You are challenged just by doing it (not to give Nike any space) and rewarded as well.

TRENDING THREADS