• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Why do you love cycling?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Hugh Januss said:
Why do I want to start a thread called "Why do you love cancer?" every time I see the title of this thread?[/QUOTE

So start it, ahole. I'm "dying"to find out the answer. Ha ha. Someone starts an innocuous and innocent thread and some d-bag has to "man up" and trash it. Now that's ***. Cycling is great, some cyclists suck.

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
So start it, ahole. I'm "dying"to find out the answer. Ha ha. Someone starts an innocuous and innocent thread and some d-bag has to "man up" and trash it. Now that's ***. Cycling is great, some cyclists suck.

You sound like the d-bag who is trashing the thread.

shawnrohrbach said:
Hugh Januss said:
Why do I want to start a thread called "Why do you love cancer?" every time I see the title of this thread?[/QUOTE

I've never checked out your website.........lucky me.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
Why do I want to start a thread called "Why do you love cancer?" every time I see the title of this thread?

Why? Because you my friend have a sense of humor! A sarcastic sick sense of humor, which I find extremely humorous :D

A

Anonymous

Ibanez said:
Nowadays I am primarily a runner, but due to some recurring injuries I've been unable to run so have been getting back on the bike lots to compensate and am having a thoroughly good time. Todays ride for me is exactly why I still think cycling is a far superior sport to running, which whilst great is just too much of a 2 steps forward 1 step back sport where you constantly avoid injury and always seem to have at least one thing wrong with you.

So todays ride. I didnt get round to riding earlier in the day and then it poured with rain for a couple of hours so I figured any training was a write off...but the skies cleared and so I decided to get out and get some good work in before dark.

I head to Richmond Park, which is an 11km loop just outside of London after dodging through traffic for a few klicks and do a 2X15 session, most of a lap with some recovery time before starting again. The weather is crap, its freezing cold, the wind batters me all over the place and it's not until after the first interval I realise my toes are frozen. The second interval is naturally harder and ends on an uphill drag into a headwind, but whatever, I've come this far so only a wimp slows down so near the end.

Session finished, I fully grasp how cold I am but otherwise feel good, so chase cars and stomp home completely forgoing any cool down it's cold enough as it is. I make it home, having been out for only 80 minutes, but my legs are ruined, my fingers don't work, and my toes have ice in them.

Once inside, I mope around in my kit for a while because I can't bare the thought of stepping into a hot shower with my toes in such bad condition. When I eventually do and take off my kit the full extent of all the grease from the roads thats coated my legs becomes obvious, with clearly defined lines of spotlessly clean and filthy. I'm tired enough that I can barely do anymore than stand uselessly in the shower, clenching my toes the entire time because the hot water burns them so much.

As soon as I'm out the shower I am clean refreshed and feel great. So why does this make me feel overcome with my love of cycling? Because that was one of the crap days, but it's still a helluva lot more fun then almost any other sport I've ever done. Very little beats the feeling of getting home after a hard bike ride there is almost nothing better.

So yeah that's why cycling is awesome. After riding in the mountains, brutal races, those days where you feel like there is no chain on your bike, even a boring interval session in the rain and cold brings a smile to my face.

Yeah. I'm almost glad I'm injured and can't run :D

I love cycling because there is nothing better than being an hour into a ride and realizing that you have not had a thought for the past 45 minutes. Just complete Zen sometimes.

As to running, I love it but not the same as cycling. However, and you may already be aware, but go buy a pair of Vibram 5 fingers and run in them. It will solve you injury problem I believe. Also, read "Born to Run" if you have not already.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
I love cycling because there is nothing better than being an hour into a ride and realizing that you have not had a thought for the past 45 minutes. Just complete Zen sometimes.

As to running, I love it but not the same as cycling. However, and you may already be aware, but go buy a pair of Vibram 5 fingers and run in them. It will solve you injury problem I believe. Also, read "Born to Run" if you have not already.

Very true about the lack of thought, although I often find myself daydreaming about the oddest things. Apparently the endorphin flow enhances creativity.

Never tried the Vibrams, but the tribe in Born to Run scare me. It does make me sometimes think that the whole 'running shoe' thing is a bit of scam at times.

Anyway, to the dude with the terrible name and limecat avatar - I'm far from a genius, I was just interested in peoples opinions on cycling. That's all. No need to be a dick about it.

Hugh Januss said:
shawnrohrbach said:
I've never checked out your website.........lucky me.

Oh, you don't know what you're missing. There's enough material there to make a d-bag like you even more of an a-hole. You could wallow in your own excrement as you moan and whine about all the positive stuff on this forum. When you are done, you can stab your hand with a fork and feel even better. Yippeeee!

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
I guess it just strikes me as the ultimate genius rallying cry.

which one?

one year ago i was in the middle of the first batch of chemo. my platelets were so low that i couldn't ride because hitting my head could be fatal, and as the dr. pointed out, they were trying to keep me alive. i found out just how much i missed riding, and what's really important in my life. every day i would tell my assistant that if i lived i wanted to be able to ride again.

i'm not 100% yet, but i can ride.

don't be so cynical. every day of life is a tremendous blessing.

shawnrohrbach said:
Oh, you don't know what you're missing. There's enough material there to make a d-bag like you even more of an a-hole. You could wallow in your own excrement as you moan and whine about all the positive stuff on this forum. When you are done, you can stab your hand with a fork and feel even better. Yippeeee!

Aw geez I'm sorry I insulted your dipstick website. I guess you sure told me off. OK you can go back to your self important little life now.

A

Anonymous

Ibanez said:
Very true about the lack of thought, although I often find myself daydreaming about the oddest things. Apparently the endorphin flow enhances creativity.

Never tried the Vibrams, but the tribe in Born to Run scare me. It does make me sometimes think that the whole 'running shoe' thing is a bit of scam at times

I don't think it is a scam as much as it seemed like cushioning your shoes would benefit, so Nike did it. Then others follow along because it seems logical that to add padding to your stride would lessen the shock. Problem is that you then change your stride because you can heel strike much more severely. That jars the knee, and people get injured. Now, it does seem that the shoe companies do know that now, and still put out the shoe. It is also interesting that the more expensive the shoe, the more likely you get injured. I switched, and I can tell you that barefoot running does what they say it does. You change the way you run, and you quit putting a massive amount of shock on your ankles, knees, and hips. Then you quit getting hurt.

However, as much as I love to run, it will never compare to rides like I had today on my mountain bike.

As for Hugh, I don't think he was being as much of a d!ck as it seemed. He is a bit misunderstood sometimes. He just made a sarcastic remark, but it wasn't directed at you specifically. Then others latched on, and he pushed back...cause that is how he rolls.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Why do you love cycling?

No idea

overdanseys.jpg

May 7, 2009
Visit site
Berzin said:
.. The racing culture has it's own pitfalls and my impression of it is it takes the fun out of the sport.

I am about there with you. Still love riding for many reasons and don’t ever see myself giving it up. It’s a great way to get around under your own power – on the roads, on the trails, across slickrock, through the mountains, desert, anywhere almost. I think I am over racing, though, for the same reasons you describe. And I mean that as both a fan (of the pro scene) and as a participant (on the local scene). I still love cycling and always will, though, just don’t care about competition anymore. One caveat: I also agree with the poster who is opposed to battery-powered shifting, it seems to compromise the basic premise of the human-powered machine to me. I could care less about the supposed 1/100 of a second increase in the speed of my shifting. It’s the principle of the matter to me. (and yes, I have a battery-powered bike computer- not the same thing)

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Cycling can be anything you want it to be. If you're concerned with speed and improving as a rider, it becomes a sport that takes such a great deal of dedication and discipline (regardless if you race or not). If you just like to cruise around on a bicycle, then it's still a great way to stay healthy and clear your head.

It's the most efficient way of travel, which is a reason I've always found a great deal of irony in racing, but I still love racing just as much as the coffee shop rides.

There's also a perfect balance to it. You have the Romantic side in riding, and the Rational side in the maintenance (which can become the Romantic, and vice versa). Remember that footage - I think it was from a Sunday in Hell - of a bike tech preparing the bike with the brush and I'm assuming some sort of oil? Beautiful.
I found it.

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
hiii

Session finished, I fully grasp how cold I am but otherwise feel good, so chase cars and stomp home completely forgoing any cool down it's cold enough as it is. I make it home, having been out for only 80 minutes, but my legs are ruined, my fingers don't work, and my toes have ice in them.

Best Attorney

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I used to run, and did three half marathons by the time I was 16. I had a coach, but there was a falling out at the place he worked at, and he moved away, and after that, I started to lose interest, but I was cycling more, and I went to school with a lad who cycled, so my interest picked up there. Come my 19th birthday I decided to buy my first proper road bike, and I still ride today.

I love to ride as it gives me the chance to relax if I want to, or go really hard. Good for being able to social and make a lot of contacts, some have even lead to employment for me. I have ridden with guys who won world championships, raced in the TdF, and won stages, and some good bike riders in their own right.

I race as well, which I enjoy, and it gives me a competitive edge, and something to have goals for. I don't think I could just ride, ride, ride, and have nothing to aim for. I guess we're all different though. I love climbing and having some great views, but it is the going downhill bit I enjoy the most, going downhill as fast as I can, sweeping into a corner, accelerating and repeating the process, I know I'm alive when I do that.

I don't think I could go back to running, I have problems with my hamstrings and knees, and when I run, I won't walk properly for a few days. And I enjoy cycling a lot more.

A

Anonymous

I love cycling for many reasons. But mostly because it saved my life. I always thought I was in relatively good health. But one year I decided to add extra insurance coverage. But to do so I needed to take a blood test.

Turned out I was at risk of a heart attack, although my doc said it was unlikely. But I should be careful. So my buddy got me on my first road bike a few years back in Texas. We were training for the MS150 ride in Dallas and between January and May of that year my blood tests were polar opposites. Everything that was showing as bad in Jan lowered significantly and I was in the best shape of my life in 10+ years.

I also love it because in a car you can miss so much beauty around you. On the bike you can admire everything around you. Also, my competitive spirit helps to push me to push myself to do things I never thought possible.

So for me it's because of health and the simple beauty of cycling.

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I love the feeling of myself and bike working together, the sound of rubber on road, chain on gears, my laboured breath, the sights, sounds and smells we sense when riding, the pain of hard work and the pleasure from said hard work, the feeling of complete exhaustion on the bike and the extreme pleasure you feel when getting off the bike. Nothing compares to how cycling makes me feel physically and emotionally.

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
internet pharmacy

Hi,
The reasons why i love cycling are Cycling is a healthy and relaxing form of exercise that anyone can do.Cycling requires intense breathing and get's the heart pumping at a steady rhythm. Over time your system get's use to it and strengthens the respective systems.Long term cycling improves staying power tremendously.

Thank you

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I started getting into cycling in high school because I wanted to be fit. I found out I loved it so much and I began to push myself to see how long I could go without stopping- my highest record is 6 hours on a moderate bike trail. That was last summer, I'm hoping that I can work myself up to that level again. I'm way out of shape from staying inside all winter but I'm working on getting an inside bike to help with training.
If I get a job in the city after I graduate I'm sure I'll use it as a major form of transportation.