• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Why so little emphasis on George Hincapie?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 26, 2010
Visit site
Berzin said:
George Hincapie is the only rider who can give testimony that the doping occurred for all seven of Armstrong's Tours.

Let's not dismiss the importance of this one particular fact.

George aint got the kind of doh Armstrong has to fight it in the same manner and he doesn't have minions who will spread a false message.

They have all seen Floyd fight and end up where he is. Better to take the fall now and keep the bank account as is then fight till it is empty and still loose it all.

Also after all the hullabaloo about Armstrong getting stripped, banned (tarred and feathered if you will) they will have faded into the background of this story.

The next stage after being stripped and banned is going to focus on Liestrong and what does it really do with all the millions? And this folks is what has Armstrong running scared.

Also you cannot fight USADA in the same manner as a court case. So up to 9 guys say they saw George doping, what is he gonna do? deny, still gets banned. So come clean and distance himself from the Y-Bomb* that is gonna go off.

YellaAtomicBomb at HQ Liestrong when this goes down.

Polish said:
The "Tyler" 60 Minutes show confused a lot of people. Thinking "White Lunch Bag" was the Bruyneel era (wrong) and that George testified in front of the Grand Jury (wrong again). George had to make a statement soon after the show "whoa whoa whoa people - I did NOT testify to the GJ".

George talked outside of the GJ - to former Top Ped Cop Novitzsky who was instrumental in the Balco case btw. Does current Top Ped Cop Tygart have info of that discussion?

Former Top Ped Cop Novitzsky told us correctly that doping is not against the law. There are however, many more important laws that protect a citizen's rights. Breaking any of THOSE Laws is serious. Very serious. Jail time serious.

Anyway, back to Big George, Mister George, 17/17/"17" George. Does the USADA have access to that discussion George had with the former top ped cop? And then was was George "convinced", given "USADA Immunity", whatever that means, if he promised to testify against Lance?

But even if Big George WAS offered a sweet deal, whatever that means, to testify against Lance - I would expect George to say "whoa whoa whoa people - I am NOT testifying against Lance".

Have not heard him say it though. That is not good. Not good for a lot of reasons.

What are you rambling about?!?! The USADA is a nothing nobody organization with no legal rights to do anything to anybody.

Plain and simple. What are they going to do, take his 1 victory away over his last 17yrs in cahoots with the UCI?!?!

The USADA can't enforce any laws, nor can they do anything yet "sanction" or encourage the UCI to take away victories in the past they can prove.

At most, George might be concerned about his reputation, his personal businesses he makes money from and overall appearance. Then, maybe he would strike some kind of agreement to not be pursued, and not have his name dragged through the mud so he can maintain his all-american clean image and keep selling jerseys.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
George aint got the kind of doh Armstrong has to fight it in the same manner and he doesn't have minions who will spread a false message.

YellaAtomicBomb at HQ Liestrong when this goes down.

Bad grammar dude. And wrong too.
George has plenty of "doh" and plenty of "minions".

And as a matter of fact - Georges lawyers representing him for the Lance Fed Investigation (where both he and Lance were cleared btw) probably turned the tide in that case.

After the 60Minutes leak fiasco, Georges lawyers raised a stink. Led to Lance's Motion. Leaks stopped.

George and his lawyers will be very watchful of the USADA "case".
And Georges global minions will be cheering him at his record breaking 17th TdF.
French TV refered to him as Master George already this year.

If pulling out of the Olympics is evidence of George testifying, why is he not also pulling out of the Tour?

When 60 Minutes reported GH testified to the GJ that he took EPO with LA, he only said he didn't know how they got that information; that he never talked to them. He did not deny testifying to the GJ. There is no explanation for his reaction other than he testified to the GJ.

Given that he testified to the GJ about taking EPO with Armstrong, and what the USADA letter said about every US rider they contacted cooperating, it's obvious he sang to the USADA too, especially with all the other guys piling on.

I don't see how LA can survive this. But the only thing I don't get is why he still gets to ride the Tour. Maybe he made a deal to be able to honorably retire at the end of the year, so he could go for his record Tour.

When LA starts calling GH a lying mofo, then maybe the fanboys will finally see the light.

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
Ninety5rpm said:
It seems clear to me that George has already talked.

We know the USADA case is based on evidence gathered in the federal case, and that George talked to the feds in that case (but not to 60 Minutes - which he is quick to remind us).

It's hard to imagine that he wasn't one of the "more than 10 U.S. riders" contacted by the USADA, all of whom reportedly cooperated about Postal/Discovery doping.

I mean, we know at least Floyd implicated George, and that George is not one of the 5. He must have talked.

I agree, most likely George already talked... tbh I think JB will try to screw LA if he can gain from it himself, but I rather both of them go down.

Ninety5rpm said:
If pulling out of the Olympics is evidence of George testifying, why is he not also pulling out of the Tour?

When 60 Minutes reported GH testified to the GJ that he took EPO with LA, he only said he didn't know how they got that information; that he never talked to them. He did not deny testifying to the GJ. There is no explanation for his reaction other than he testified to the GJ.

Given that he testified to the GJ about taking EPO with Armstrong, and what the USADA letter said about every US rider they contacted cooperating, it's obvious he sang to the USADA too, especially with all the other guys piling on.

I don't see how LA can survive this. But the only thing I don't get is why he still gets to ride the Tour. Maybe he made a deal to be able to honorably retire at the end of the year, so he could go for his record Tour.

When LA starts calling GH a lying mofo, then maybe the fanboys will finally see the light.

George spoke outside the GJ so I'm thinking he has talked to USADA. If he didn't tell USADA the truth then he might be in a little trouble.

I see a sea change in George. I think his eyes started to open post 07. He realized that maybe things didn't always run the way he was lead to believe.

Of course the '09 chase down was the bitter end. Salt wound rub. Especially after the tip off he gave of the High Road left road split to isolate Contador.

I expect a statement post Tour to the public after he rides a few crits and cleans up. I think if GJ gives some form of confession to the public he'll be adorned even more.

Lance is boxed.

May 19, 2012
Visit site
PosterBill said:
To me he has always been the domino that could bring down Armstrong almost regardless what evidence turns up. Yet the press has pretty much left Hincapie alone. Let's state the obvious: Hincapie is the only guy that can't be discredited by Armstrong. If they don't disclose another bit of evidence but get George to talk then I will be satisfied to know the truth

Armstrong can discredit, JV,CVV, DZ, LL? How?

If for some crazy reason Armstrong gets off, you still know the truth.

Please....

I don't really see how Hincapie matters to the general public. If it turns out he gave damning testimony against Lance I don't see how he escapes the treatment everyone else who has spoken out gets. Too much at stake here, and all with the general public here. He's lost 90% of the cycling world already, he's out to save his status with the rest of the world, and painting this situation and everyone involved as badly as imaginable isn't going to stop at Hincapie's doorstep.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
red_flanders said:
I don't really see how Hincapie matters to the general public. If it turns out he gave damning testimony against Lance I don't see how he escapes the treatment everyone else who has spoken out gets. Too much at stake here, and all with the general public here. He's lost 90% of the cycling world already, he's out to save his status with the rest of the world, and painting this situation and everyone involved as badly as imaginable isn't going to stop at Hincapie's doorstep.

Maybe not but per Hog's observation above; the US public adores a redemptive confession. Hincapie might actually benefit commercially (considering his relative marketability) by coming clean. It would certainly diminish any following confessions by his Lanceness to have a loyal lieutenant admit he sinned.

Oldman said:
Maybe not but per Hog's observation above; the US public adores a redemptive confession. Hincapie might actually benefit commercially (considering his relative marketability) by coming clean. It would certainly diminish any following confessions by his Lanceness to have a loyal lieutenant admit he sinned.

Bingo. It would keep his clothing line hobby alive. In fact, he can go born-again repentant doper and do a "dopers suck" jersey. The industry is very small, so whoever does the sewing probably can be persuaded to make things hard for GH. But, I think a hedged confession like Landis would make his public persona pretty solid inside cycling.

I don't recall if Hincapie goes all the way back to Carmichael's doping program at USAC. I know a few of those old dudes do, I just can't keep track of which ones.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
George is writing a book

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013...-and-breakfast-in-august_282057#post-comments

Note the comments section. Does not seem that there will be much demand for the book

Here is George's "bed and breakfast".

feature_la_bastide.jpg

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
del1962 said:
How many former dopers can write books about doping b4 the market becomes saturated?

The question should be: how many can write?
As long as there are salacious details they can write a bunch more.

blackcat said:
george wrote a book before he has read a book.

Should be a good read.

"Lance said we should go for a ride. So we got on our bikes and went riding. Then Lance said lets stop for a coffee. So we stopped and had a coffee. Lance told a joke and we laughed. Lance then said lets get back on our bikes and ride home. So we all rode home"

Indeed ridiculous how George was with Lance on every single TDF victory team leading the way, doped of course on EPO, like Lance.

Yet, he has got the biggest pass of all time on this situation.

"See Lance ride bike."
"See Lance take EPO."
"Lance say, you take EPO."
"I take EPO too."
"I get a pass and suffer no ramifications for my complicit involvement in the most sophisticated doping scandal in sports history."
"I open a B&B and make more money."

The End...

zigmeister said:
Indeed ridiculous how George was with Lance on every single TDF victory team leading the way, doped of course on EPO, like Lance.

Yet, he has got the biggest pass of all time on this situation.

"See Lance ride bike."
"See Lance take EPO."
"Lance say, you take EPO."
"I take EPO too."
"I get a pass and suffer no ramifications for my complicit involvement in the most sophisticated doping scandal in sports history."
"I open a B&B and make more money."

The End...

I don't really understand why this should be a big issue for anyone unless they haven't moved out of their parent's basement. George saw the tide was changing and followed it. That's what happens when you cooperate, apparently to a very high degree, with your National ADA after participating in a clearly corrupted professional sport.

As I've said about other cheats, if George told me it was raining outside, I'd still check for myself. This is the kind of personality we're talking about.

TRENDING THREADS