• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Why so little emphasis on George Hincapie?

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
ebandit said:
good on ya ........keep admiring BIG georges chiselled good looks

it's great that BIG george has a generous spirit...........for that i cut him extra slack ........and remember he dished the dirt on lance after all

we can all learn from BIG george................i try..............returning from the shops i fed apples to the tethered horses on our hill

Mark L

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1E4qKsLmv4

Have you seen this - final and 17th tour OMG!!!

Comes across like a nice family guy... got funny friends too..:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=smZuZ35Eg9Q&NR=1

Can't believe how old Robin Williams looks these days..

thehog said:
Should be a good read.

"Lance said we should go for a ride. So we got on our bikes and went riding. Then Lance said lets stop for a coffee. So we stopped and had a coffee. Lance told a joke and we laughed. Lance then said lets get back on our bikes and ride home. So we all rode home"

A style I would describe as Hemingwayesque.

Briant_Gumble said:
It's not that I'm homophobic it's just I was trying to work out if you were being serious.

Was curious as to whether HGH induced acromegaly would give one an unnatural and unattractive look. That said I don't think George had used it a massive amount through his career, probably stopped when Lance got cancer but I don't know.

To see a definitive HGH excess google pics of "Andre the Giant" and Hong man choi, I 'm not a woman but I suspect they don't look cute in the face.

This guy has the HGH gut but not obvious acromegaly:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qS50wDyUTwI

It might be that using exogenous insulin dulls his insulin resistance and with insulin resistance comes a greater proportion of fat distributed intra-abdominally as opposed to subcutaneously. Since he's so lean though it might just be that he got HGH gut the way some people get bacne and others get gyno from roids.

Taking HGH after puberty, and having a pituitary disorder/tumor that pulses GH at high levels since a very young age are very different.

The amount of GH to be taken over a period of time after puberty would have to be huge for years to get any type of change to that obvious of a degree you try to explain.

When you inject GH, your body has a feedback loop and shuts down natural production. This goes for anything related to the HPT Axis, it is how the body works.

So, an exogenous source put into the body would have to be in great excess of what your body is already producing to start to have any effect. Just taking GH doesn't mean it does something for. You have to replace the GH your body is producing with a much greater amount it was producing to have any positive effect. Same for testosterone etc...any other drug the HPT is responsible for with hormones you would take.

What amount exactly would he have to take to have the effect you claim by the way?

Briant_Gumble said:
That said I don't think George had used it a massive amount through his career, probably stopped when Lance got cancer but I don't know.

This kind of conjecture is dangerous.

Given the guy was doping from his days under Carmichael at USA Cycling, unless Hincapie spontaneously spawns a conscience and tells all, we'll never know. Carmichael stakes a claim on Hincapie's success and early development here: http://trainright.com/press-release...-of-bmc-hincapie-sportswear-development-team/ The same thing is widely repeated.

We know later on Carmichael was a beard at the elite level under Ferrari/USPS. From development on he was doped, but specifics are unknown.

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
zigmeister said:
What amount exactly would he have to take to have the effect you claim by the way?

By "he" do you mean GH, Choi, Andre or Coleman?

By "the effect you claim" it depends on who the "he" is. To my eye GH shows no textbook signs of HGH side effects, not aware of a link between HGH and varicose veins. Andre and Choi I don't think were taking anything as they have/had pituitary tumours. I'm not sure of the "amount exactly" that Coleman was taking but I would guess he was taking far more HGH than his body was naturally producing to cause his distended gut.

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
This kind of conjecture is dangerous.

Maybe but it was intended as a harmless tangent that might be at home in a teen girls mag.

I don't doubt GH's use of testosterone, EPO and transfusions.

Men are better at analysing female facial structure and women are better at analysing men's. since I was talking to a female poster I was curious as to whether she had noticed a difference in GH's face through his career.

I hear that a lot of baseball fans swear that Barry Bonds head enlarged through his career and so many claim it I think it can happen with exogenous HGH.

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Briant_Gumble said:

Men are better at analysing female facial structure and women are better at analysing men's. since I was talking to a female poster I was curious as to whether she had noticed a difference in GH's face through his career.
I notice changes in both men and women equally. Yes I would say gorgeous Georges jaw has enlarged.

Briant_Gumble said:
Maybe but it was intended as a harmless tangent that might be at home in a teen girls mag.

I probably came off to harsh.

There is always the problem of some generally false idea becoming the foundation for some bigger and more wrong idea that "everyone" knows. The Armstrong myth is full of them and it bugs me.