• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Why so little emphasis on George Hincapie?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
zigmeister said:
"I open a B&B and make more money."

The End...

Opening the B and B is at least a sign that he's seeking other forms of income now that his cycling apparel is attached to the smeared Hincapie name.

Watching the ESPN "Broke" documentary for a lot of pro athletes ill fated business ventures such as this (potentially) are what a lot of them blew their money on.

He's not well educated or experienced in the field but its not rocket science if you try hard and work with the right people ( which he probably won't).

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
. . .
As I've said about other cheats, if George told me it was raining outside, I'd still check for myself. This is the kind of personality we're talking about.

From my (limited) experience, George is a nice guy in general, and generally honest and forthright. You can trust him if he tells you its raining, I think. Just my .02.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Another ex Doper book I will not buy. But I'm sure some suckers will buy it, validating the Dopers, that is what is wrong with this system. Those who know they did wrong and then go and support them to right their wrong. They should live the consequences of their wrongs, not benefit from a side show.

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
zigmeister said:
Indeed ridiculous how George was with Lance on every single TDF victory team leading the way, doped of course on EPO, like Lance.

Yet, he has got the biggest pass of all time on this situation.

"See Lance ride bike."
"See Lance take EPO."
"Lance say, you take EPO."
"I take EPO too."
"I get a pass and suffer no ramifications for my complicit involvement in the most sophisticated doping scandal in sports history."
"I open a B&B and make more money."

The End...

Ahhh, but there is one key difference.

George cooperated. Lance had the chance.

He didn't, though.

Lance had the chance and didn't.

Offered to everyone, and everyone but Lance took the opportunity.

Armstrong, killed by being headstrong.

Briant_Gumble said:
Opening the B and B is at least a sign that he's seeking other forms of income now that his cycling apparel is attached to the smeared Hincapie name.

The bike business stuff is a hobby anyway.

I understand he's got better than average distribution/sales reps working his line at least in the U.S., but clothes are even worse than bikes in the sense it is far cheaper to get started. Once you are started, the profit margins are not great. He can't sell the brand either, so there's not even a sell option.

The B&B thing could be good. If it worked, he would be able to sell out of that.

I totally agree with the ESPN segment. Lots of athletes can't keep it together once they have time.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Caruut said:
Ahhh, but there is one key difference.

George cooperated. Lance had the chance.

He didn't, though.

Lance had the chance and didn't.

Offered to everyone, and everyone but Lance took the opportunity.

Armstrong, killed by being headstrong.

The bolded bit is true, but there was no way on earth Lance was going to get off with a 6 month out of season ban had he fessed up. The whole point of offering the token bans to the others was to get them to fess up to achieve the primary objective: being able to ban Lance for a seriously long time and remove as many of his victories as possible. Had the investigation ended up with Lance being given a token ban then Travis would have been laughed out of office.

DirtyWorks said:
I don't really understand why this should be a big issue for anyone unless they haven't moved out of their parent's basement. George saw the tide was changing and followed it. That's what happens when you cooperate, apparently to a very high degree, with your National ADA after participating in a clearly corrupted professional sport.

As I've said about other cheats, if George told me it was raining outside, I'd still check for myself. This is the kind of personality we're talking about.

Not sure where younare from, but in the states, in cycling, Big George is one of the most respected and was for years. The talk about his involvement has been non existent for the most by the media. As this article TS posted clearly shows.

The comments section tells a different story for some hardcore cyclists. But overall, major pass on all levels. Mof course, I did understand he has lost some big team business with his clothing kits.

thehog said:
Should be a good read.

"Lance said we should go for a ride. So we got on our bikes and went riding. Then Lance said lets stop for a coffee. So we stopped and had a coffee. Lance told a joke and we laughed. Lance then said lets get back on our bikes and ride home. So we all rode home"

Lol

Needs more spelling errors

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
zigmeister said:
Not sure where you are from, but in the states, in cycling, Big George is one of the most respected and was for years.

Agree with the bolded.

Just because he was quiet media meant he didn't put his foot in his mouth, not sure how the respected got added on. :rolleyes:

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
From @paulkimmage

Betsy Andreu on George Hincapie in latest @2r "That guy is anything but a friend. He's just a piece of ****. I'd spit on him if I saw him."

nice

I have to admit I'm conflicted about GQ Georgie because he's always struck me as the most affable and accommodating rider in the pro peloton. Several times I've seen him sign autographs after a stage until His Lanceness came to the door of the (USPS/Disco) bus and shot him the stare.

Once he was shut of Pharmstrong, there seemingly was no limit to the gratitude and patience he showed his fans. I shot this in a Paso Robles car park after the 5th stage of the 2009 AToC. I left about two hours after the race had concluded and Georgie was still there signing autographs. He had a smile and a pleasant word for everyone who'd stood in line to meet him.

Hard to lump that sort of grace, humility and generosity in with the likes of Pharmstrong.

StyrbjornSterki said:
I have to admit I'm conflicted about GQ Georgie because he's always struck me as the most affable and accommodating rider in the pro peloton. Several times I've seen him sign autographs after a stage until His Lanceness came to the door of the (USPS/Disco) bus and shot him the stare.

Once he was shut of Pharmstrong, there seemingly was no limit to the gratitude and patience he showed his fans. I shot this in a Paso Robles car park after the 5th stage of the 2009 AToC. I left about two hours after the race had concluded and Georgie was still there signing autographs. He had a smile and a pleasant word for everyone who'd stood in line to meet him.

Hard to lump that sort of grace, humility and generosity in with the likes of Pharmstrong.

Dopers come in all shapes and forms.

George's conspicuous reputation for sauce enjoyment doesn't mean he couldn't have a different personality from Lance.

Maybe he needed the performance enhancement to sign additional autographs.

Dave.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
D-Queued said:
Dopers come in all shapes and forms.

some happen to have a very large jaw(ge).

and the moral of the story, much like, dont tell lies because your nose will grow, is, if you have a massive jaw(ge) to begin with, dont take androgrens for godsake and make it bigger. its not like email spam in your inbox

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
horsinabout said:
Before

picture.php

After?

picture.php

Large alfa male jaw not withstanding.....this guy is a dish. Gorgeous big jaw Georgie

Are you a female poster?

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
horsinabout said:
I think you might want to hope so:)

It's not that I'm homophobic it's just I was trying to work out if you were being serious.

Was curious as to whether HGH induced acromegaly would give one an unnatural and unattractive look. That said I don't think George had used it a massive amount through his career, probably stopped when Lance got cancer but I don't know.

To see a definitive HGH excess google pics of "Andre the Giant" and Hong man choi, I 'm not a woman but I suspect they don't look cute in the face.

This guy has the HGH gut but not obvious acromegaly:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qS50wDyUTwI

It might be that using exogenous insulin dulls his insulin resistance and with insulin resistance comes a greater proportion of fat distributed intra-abdominally as opposed to subcutaneously. Since he's so lean though it might just be that he got HGH gut the way some people get bacne and others get gyno from roids.

chiselled

horsinabout said:
I think you might want to hope so:)

good on ya ........keep admiring BIG georges chiselled good looks

it's great that BIG george has a generous spirit...........for that i cut him extra slack ........and remember he dished the dirt on lance after all

we can all learn from BIG george................i try..............returning from the shops i fed apples to the tethered horses on our hill

Mark L