• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Why Team Sky will dominate cycling till 2018

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

WheelofGear said:
bassano said:
SeriousSam said:
If any team can do it, it's Sky. Their roster is very strong now, but G has realised that the glory of competing for GTs, the Tour in particular, is much greater than classics racing, and without him focusing on classics a monument win is very unlikely. Landa winning the Giro is plausible and Froome is the top favourite for the Tour. For the Vuelta, Froome might do the Double or Landa, if he sits out the Tour.

Yeah, we all saw how froome´s attempt to double finished this year on Vuelta
and Landa OK, podium in giro he could do if parcours will be hard and there will be low TT´s but he can not win it

and btw. this thread is big joke from the start since Sky is not even winning UCI world tour team classification so how you can name it as biggest team of last decades when it is not even current biggest team
maybe in your wild dreams :)

Landa is already the favorite for the Giro. The strongest climber out there and Sky can help him improving his time trial skills. Also, one of the time trials is a MTT. Who do you think is able to beat him?

Majka? :eek: :rolleyes:

You reckon Landa can win the Giro with 3 IT's.

I'd set landa for the Vuelta.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Porte is team leader at the Tour. Officially, it's probably a joint leadership, but when Porte brings the first MTF magic he demonstrated in 2013 and 2015 and leaves Teejay for dead, he'll be made sole leader.

Re:

SeriousSam said:
Porte is team leader at the Tour. Officially, it's probably a joint leadership, but when Porte brings the first MTF magic he demonstrated in 2013 and 2015 and leaves Teejay for dead, he'll be made sole leader.

I agree with this, but then if Tejay can hold on and limit losses then Porte will have his usual blow-up day where he loses minutes.

Re:

WheelofGear said:
I get it with Nibali. He will be the main thread. But he is sometimes zig-zagging in the mountains. It really depends on his shape. Dumoulin could also be a danger man if he is riding.

But Landa should be stronger than the likes of Majka, Pozzovivo, Amador and Hejsedal. No question about that.

If the training methods of Sky are as good as those of Astana this year in Giro and Vuelta, he will. But have you seen what Astana did in the Giro or the last mountain stage of the Vuelta?

Re:

WheelofGear said:
I get it with Nibali. He will be the main thread. But he is sometimes zig-zagging in the mountains. It really depends on his shape. Dumoulin could also be a danger man if he is riding.

But Landa should be stronger than the likes of Majka, Pozzovivo, Amador and Hejsedal. No question about that.
Vincenzo won't get it so badly wrong 2 years running. 2014 outputs were almost as good as 2013 Froome. Landa is not at that level. Ofc Majka, Pozzo, Amador and Hesjedal are less good than Landa. Dumoulin only came 6th because all the favourites at the Vuelta decided to wait until the last 800m before attacking, with the exception of Stage 11, where he lost like a minute and half - 2 minutes and the last but one stage where he bonked.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

MatParker117 said:
WheelofGear said:
MatParker117 said:
WheelofGear said:
bassano said:
Yeah, we all saw how froome´s attempt to double finished this year on Vuelta
and Landa OK, podium in giro he could do if parcours will be hard and there will be low TT´s but he can not win it

and btw. this thread is big joke from the start since Sky is not even winning UCI world tour team classification so how you can name it as biggest team of last decades when it is not even current biggest team
maybe in your wild dreams :)

Landa is already the favorite for the Giro. The strongest climber out there and Sky can help him improving his time trial skills. Also, one of the time trials is a MTT. Who do you think is able to beat him?

Majka? :eek: :rolleyes:

It's probably Aru vs. Landa vs. Majka next year with Sky and Astana bringing the stronger mountain support for there leaders. Plus in Sky's case a good sprinter and the rainbow jersey for the TT's.

Astana is sending Nibali to the Giro and Aru to the Tour next year. And Nibali is going to be roasted by Landa on the climbs.

Wonder if Benat and Landa will do to Nibali what Landa and Aru should have done to Contador.
What should Aru and Landa have done to Contador?

Scarponi said:
With Sky having all these GC options would Froome once again attempt the Tour-Vuelta ( maybe more so 2017 due to Rio)
I can imagine that he will ride the giro in 2017 because its the 100th one. Just a prediction, but until now he only has tdf wins and he wont get a different gt win next year because of rio, so 2017 is probably the best year to try to win the other races. However this is probably the false thread to discuss this

I think "Burt" Lancaster joining the SKY staff is a good fit.
His experience in areas such as sprint finishes, prologues
and team trials as well as his knowledge of current riders
and courses/races will, I'm sure, prove invaluable in Team
SKY's quest for more wins in cyclings biggest races. And
you can never have too many Olympic Gold Medalists in
your organisation. :)

quote from the Algarve thread (came here because it's not race news)

HelloDolly said:
What's going on at SKY...there are so many ill riders its hard to write a SKY team lineup without it changing before one has finished the sentence :confused:

And it s not all down to Spanish weather ...so of them aren't even in Spain

So ill are
Kwiatkowski Intxausti,Zandio

Covering from illness are
Landa & Roche

and injured are van Poppel.

See I have developed a new list . The SKY illness list :D

Roche is fine he'll race Andalucia
Konig recovering from his crash in the Valencia TT (no South Africa training camp with Boswell and some others, dont know who, but I guess Froome will be there)
Van Poppel training again after his knee issues

Landa Intxausti were in Spain
Kwiato too, training in Calpe

pastronef said:

HelloDolly said:
What's going on at SKY...there are so many ill riders its hard to write a SKY team lineup without it changing before one has finished the sentence :confused:

So ill are

Landa & Roche

Konig recovering from his crash in the Valencia TT (no South Africa training camp with Boswell and some others, dont know who, but I guess Froome will be there)

Kwiato too, training iln Calpe

That shoud have read recovering btw
Roche not fine .. recovering still from 2 stints in hospital... ...as is Deignan from a serious car crash before Christmas

If the UCI are going to cut squad sizes, there needs to be an allowance for teams either not attend WT events if they're undermanned or to "loan" an under 23 on a short term basis or something. Under reduced squad sizes, Sky would currently be struggling to send two teams out at the same time.

Re:

TMP402 said:
If the UCI are going to cut squad sizes, there needs to be an allowance for teams either not attend WT events if they're undermanned or to "loan" an under 23 on a short term basis or something. Under reduced squad sizes, Sky would currently be struggling to send two teams out at the same time.

I don't know why the UCI have to cut squads ? Its their jobs/ livelihood
However UCI could cut numbers in some races as injuries require numbers but sometimes less riders in a race mix it up a bit and stops domination by strong teams. In fact the less regimented races the better, imo
So some with radio, some without, some with 6 or 7 or 8 riders

I think a GT needs 9 riders because of illness or injury but maybe less teams ?

HelloDolly said:
pastronef said:

HelloDolly said:

So ill are

Landa & Roche

Kwiato too, training iln Calpe

That shoud have read recovering btw
Roche not fine .. recovering still from 2 stints in hospital... ...as is Deignan from a serious car crash before Christmas

Really? I assumed it was just a training accident. Or do you mean he was hit by a car when training on his bike? Anyway, he posted a picture of him training on his ergo on twitter so hopefully he's ok.

It will be Kennaugh, Roche, Poels, Inxausti, Swift, Thomas, Porte, Wiggins, Knees anywax, until Sky finds out that Porte & Wiggins ain't with them anymore and replaces them with Deignan & Lopez. But then one gets sick and eventually Landa rides PN instead of TA, but flies to Catalonia too early instead by mistake.

TRENDING THREADS