• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Why the double standard?

It will be another test of the Spaniard’s form as this year’s Grand Tours edge closer, but will also serve as indication of whether the Spanish rider is still struggling with the claimed pollen issues that have hurt his performance in recent weeks.

Armstrong most recently had to drop out of the Circuit de la Sarthe due to stomach problems. He is now at his home in Austin, Texas, and had announced earlier that he would not ride the Amstel Gold Race as was planned.

Why is Contador´s pollen issue "claimed" and Armstrong´s stomach problems unquestioned? I would not of expected that here. VeloNews probably, but not cyclingnews.

The same folks have no difficulty in believing a 38 year old can experience the best performance leap of his career, yet question whether a 26 year old may have peaked.

I wouldn't worry about it. There is no place for logic in the subjective viewpoint.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Tangled Tango said:
It will be another test of the Spaniard’s form as this year’s Grand Tours edge closer, but will also serve as indication of whether the Spanish rider is still struggling with the claimed pollen issues that have hurt his performance in recent weeks.

Armstrong most recently had to drop out of the Circuit de la Sarthe due to stomach problems. He is now at his home in Austin, Texas, and had announced earlier that he would not ride the Amstel Gold Race as was planned.

Why is Contador´s pollen issue "claimed" and Armstrong´s stomach problems unquestioned? I would not of expected that here. VeloNews probably, but not cyclingnews.

It really should be reversed... or both should be "claimed".

The allergies thing has been documented before. It may not affect him every day (my alergies don't either), but it's not a suprise. If anything it's more believable then Lance's "stomach issues". Those might be real... but I don't know how you could confirm it.

I was asking myself the very same question this morning. I don't know if it was intentional, but it jumped off the page when I read it. As kurtinsc noted, AC's allergy issues have been well documented, so I found it very curious that they are now "claimed."

At the end of the day, it is what it is, but I too expected a little more from cyclingnews.

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
I was asking myself the very same question this morning. I don't know if it was intentional, but it jumped off the page when I read it. As kurtinsc noted, AC's allergy issues have been well documented, so I found it very curious that they are now "claimed."

At the end of the day, it is what it is, but I too expected a little more from cyclingnews.

I'm sure the "Contador's Pollen Issues Well Documented" follow-up article is already penned. If not, easy to cut and paste together thanks to the guy with the foil.

A

Anonymous

Publicus said:

Off topic....

Sad to see Boardman go, Pub. Wonder if they'll do something for the 20 year anniversary in London 2012.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
C'mon, what is the BIG DEAL about faking allergies in order to get some quality beach time?

Like none of you guys have ever "called in sick" before?
C'mon, you know you have...

Although I will admit "calling in sick" for a whole month is a bit of a stretch:)

A

Anonymous

You read into this stuff like it's the Bible. Take it with a grain of salt and don't let it bother you. There are more pressing things to worry about than a word in an article. ;)

Bag_O_Wallet said:
I'm sure the "Contador's Pollen Issues Well Documented" follow-up article is already penned. If not, easy to cut and paste together thanks to the guy with the foil.

My bad. You are correct. There was never any mention of AC's allergies prior to 2010. Totally a figment of apparently several people's imagination.

A

Anonymous

Tangled Tango said:

Agreed. Pretty weak reporting by CN. Phil, Paul, and Bob would surely see it that way, but I expect better from the reporting here.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Publicus said:

I'm not sure "documented" is the right word; "written about" is more the case. I don't think any medical reports/findings have been published on the matter.

I'm not suggesting that what has been written on the subject is incorrect or blown out of proportion (understated by the media, if anything, imo) but a news report or interview or blog entry is not what I'd call documentation; words are all we have, let's try not to cheapen them.:D

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
cyclopeon said:
I'm not sure "documented" is the right word; "written about" is more the case. I don't think any medical reports/findings have been published on the matter.

I'm not suggesting that what has been written on the subject is incorrect or blown out of proportion (understated by the media, if anything, imo) but a news report or interview or blog entry is not what I'd call documentation; words are all we have, let's try not to cheapen them.:D
i dont think any published medical report/finding on berto's allergies would be needed to qulify as 'documented' evidence.

a credible report that he's got a therapeutic use exemption would be enough for me. i would not be surprised if berto has got one but don't recall reading about it. swordsman, did you ?

incidentally, few years back i read almost 40% of the tdf riders had various legal permits/tue's mostly for allergies to relieve breathing problems.

so, does berto have a tue ?

"It will be another test of the Spaniard’s form as this year’s Grand Tours edge closer, but will also serve as indication of whether the Spanish rider is still struggling with the pollen issues that have hurt his performance in recent weeks."

This is from the same article, but todays. As we can see CN pulled the "claimed" from the paragraph. Good for them.

I´m not as interested in whether AC´s pollen issue was or is documented or if LA´s stomach problem is. My only concern was fair journalism and CN was quick to correct their mistake.

As for stomach problems, it is very common within the peloton and pollen issues common for a large part of the general population especially during the spring.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Tangled Tango said:
"It will be another test of the Spaniard’s form as this year’s Grand Tours edge closer, but will also serve as indication of whether the Spanish rider is still struggling with the pollen issues that have hurt his performance in recent weeks."

This is from the same article, but todays. As we can see CN pulled the "claimed" from the paragraph. Good for them.

I´m not as interested in whether AC´s pollen issue was or is documented or if LA´s stomach problem is. My only concern was fair journalism and CN was quick to correct their mistake.

As for stomach problems, it is very common within the peloton and pollen issues common for a large part of the general population especially during the spring.

Yes. And good for you, for raising the point.:)

cyclopeon said:

True enough. My point was the allergy issue didn't surface for the first time at CI. It had been written about in 2008 IIRC.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Publicus said:
True enough. My point was the allergy issue didn't surface for the first time at CI. It had been written about in 2008 IIRC.

Yes, prominently during the Giro (although something is tickling the back of my brain about a brief mention during one of his races earlier in the season but I can't find that anymore so maybe just a trick of memory)