• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Why was Rasmussen blacklisted?

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Here is what he said: Rasmussen aims for top ten in San Luis | Cyclingnews.com

Scroll down to the bit: Comeback harder than expected.

I think he makes some very good points.

I mean Manzano was blacklisted because he broke omerta, Heras paid the price for a Saiz rider and somebody had to pay for OP, Kashechkin had to pay the price for the Astana fall out in 2007, and between him and Vino, who are no longer friends, Kash was always going to be the loser.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
His crappy team might not even make it into any Grand Tours? I'd say at the point the sport is at there's an image to be kept in front of the "suckers."

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Also there was a lot of commenting about rasmussen's doping on the internet. Teh only popular rider that seems to win and "get away with it" is Lance!

ravens

BANNED
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
BigBoat said:
Also there was a lot of commenting about rasmussen's doping on the internet. Teh only popular rider that seems to win and "get away with it" is Lance!

Are you saying Lance is a doper? :p

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
Lance is not a doper: third in the TdF after three years off, plus the "Passport", a gadzillion tests AND a shattered collarbone. Just go ride your own bike and beg for solace as you seem to be a really troubled soul.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Oversized Toptube said:
Lance is not a doper: third in the TdF after three years off, plus the "Passport", a gadzillion tests AND a shattered collarbone. Just go ride your own bike and beg for solace as you seem to be a really troubled soul.

1, 2, 3 strikes yer out in the ol' dope gaaaaame!

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
can you get off lance's nut? there's another 100 threads about that dbag and both sides keep spouting the same stuff.

rasmussen's story is interesting to me. i saw him win at tignes in 2007 and was shocked a week or so later, when rabo withdrew and fired him when he was in the maillot jaune? i mean... dayam! you don't sack the dude in yellow unless some really serious poop is going down. so i wait for the story, but i never get more than he said he was gonna be someplace, but he was really in mexico instead. wtf what gives? and it all fades into obscurity from there.

if someone could give a brief and concise synopsis of what happened between the 2007 tdf and now, concerning rasmussen and NOT LA (unless he is somehow relevant), that would be great.

Of course cycling is full of hypocrisy, lies, and cheats. But it's also full of drama, despair, elation, and hope. It's perhaps the only sport where you can run the full gamut of emotions within the space of a single event. It's a truly magnificent sport.

Professional cycling is an iceberg. All we see is the beautiful ice sculpture above the ocean, not the menacing behemoth underneath the water. But some people can look underneath the water, see the truth, and still appreciate the beauty lying above.

Back to the OP, Ras is right, cycling is fully of hypocrisy. It is not fair and there are plenty who suffer little to none (Basso for his intension to dope :rolleyes:, Pharmstrong, Contradoped, and how about Valve-piti-piece-o-sh*t), while others are hammered (Heras, Ras, Kash).

You almost think the main person with the UCI that helps decide who is good and who is not is some sort of PR guy/gal who basically say who the public likes, and who they do not.

It's like a f*cking popularity contest!

forumlurker said:
if someone could give a brief and concise synopsis of what happened between the 2007 tdf and now, concerning rasmussen and NOT LA (unless he is somehow relevant), that would be great.

Well there is not a lot to say. Wiki actually has a good synopsis (link here). He basically got pulled by Rabo, fired, contested that firing, essentially lost, and served his ban. His ban was due to whereabouts infractions, missing tests, and being caught in a lie (I was in Mexico ... no Italy, no Mexico) ... he was seen in Italy, even though he said he was in Mexico. Umm, oops.

Anyhoo, when you mess up that bad, you kinda deserve the ban ... but the blacklisting stuff annoys the crap outta me.

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
You can't have an effective system of justice when it's applied inconsistently.

Make no mistake about it, Rasmussen was guilty of an offense and deserved to be punished. What he did stinks, and it would be a reasonable judgment to conclude he was doping or manipulating something (even 10 mls of RBCs in that guy's body probably has a huge effect!).

However, while Basso, Vino, Ricco, et Al make comebacks, while David Millar sits on UCI doping committees, while some riders are effectively blackballed for suspicious blood passports and others are celebrated, Rasmussen's absence from top tier racing makes the sport more of sham than if he were in the Tour wearing polka dots.

There may be more to the story we don't know (infamous men in black and so on), but the UCI, ASO, and teams take us all for fools with this "shocked to find gambling going on here" attitude.

Unfortunately, I think Rasmussen is right. In essence he was more of an embarrassment to the UCI and ASO for letting him start in the first place, so they had to "whack" him mob style and make sure nobody finds the body. He symbolizes their utter incompetence, and what's worse, it's incomprehensible how Basso and others don't equally.

Rasmussen should have more right to race at the top level than these incompetent bureaucrats have to administer the sport. He's at least served his time, while they've eroded the standard of who we can trust.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Didn't the UCI about Rasmussen's case though before the TOUr, but rather wait for to come out during the Tour and use it as way to score cheap points from ASO? By rights he should never have been allowed to start the Tour. Rabo could of said he had a sore knee or something and nobody would of been none the wiser.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
my favourtie conspiracy theory on this...

... is that the UCI wanted him to win, then bust him, and really kill off the ASO.

But news got out too early.

I dont have a link for that however :D

The inconsistency of the treatment of people who get busted really sucks. Why is Vino back at the top and Ras isn't?

Him and Contador going at it 'last man standing' in the 2007 Tour was the one of the best cycling duels of the decade.

Given some of the miscreants about it would be good to have him back on the ProTour, if a) he is going to be competitive and b) behave himself ;):rolleyes:

EDIT: As Psalmon said, its a mob style whacking

"Rasmussen said plainly, "They have to find a way to justify kicking me out. If you ask me, you cannot take the probable winner of the Tour de France out four days before the end of the race and just give him a slap on the wrist and let him race again two weeks after. When you make a decision that radical you have to have him disappear for life."

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
Centrifuges...

Rass happens to have a little problem circling. He is reported to own a centrifuge with Bernard Kohl (confessed to purchasing it with Rass) that was housed in Austria at the doping clinic.

Any team that signs Rass has the risk of losing face if Rassmusen's role in the clinic finally breaks through to doping charges.

That, my friends, is why Rass can't find a good team.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
slightly OT sorry - but does anyone have a link to an article where all of Kohl's allegations are laid out?

I'm not doubting the post above, in many respects it would have been better for Rasmussen to test positive or fess up in 2007 and get it all out of the way. But I guess the chalice was in his grasp

I'm beginning to think Ricco, with his straight-up no denial unrepentant approach, is smarter than he looks (which isnt saying much admittedly).

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Psalmon said:
You can't have an effective system of justice when it's applied inconsistently. .... Rasmussen should have more right to race at the top level than these incompetent bureaucrats have to administer the sport. He's at least served his time, while they've eroded the standard of who we can trust.

That's about as well as it can be said IMO.

Oct 27, 2009
Visit site
Yes, Ras has served his time which, at best, was imposed based off the propesnity to dope in a location not stated to the UCI/WADA. I sometime wonder if Ras was punished because Basso was. In that, Basso didn't dope, he merely planned on it.

Squares said:
Rass happens to have a little problem circling. He is reported to own a centrifuge with Bernard Kohl (confessed to purchasing it with Rass) that was housed in Austria at the doping clinic.

Any team that signs Rass has the risk of losing face if Rassmusen's role in the clinic finally breaks through to doping charges.

That, my friends, is why Rass can't find a good team.
You can just put a waiver in the contract. I don't think the team has anything to loose. just like Ricco. Anyday now the UCI can come back and decide to test the 2008 Giro samples for CERA and I am sure that he would be busted too.

There must be something else to all these riders that can't find a competitive team.

May 18, 2009
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
Of course cycling is full of hypocrisy, lies, and cheats. But it's also full of drama, despair, elation, and hope. It's perhaps the only sport where you can run the full gamut of emotions within the space of a single event. It's a truly magnificent sport.

Professional cycling is an iceberg. All we see is the beautiful ice sculpture above the ocean, not the menacing behemoth underneath the water. But some people can look underneath the water, see the truth, and still appreciate the beauty lying above.

Barf. I googled it but couldn't find where you cut/pasted this sappy crap from.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
It's fairly simple really - Rasmussen isn't Italian.

If you're an Italian star then some Italian team will give you a shot after a suspension (long or short) - Basso, Ricco, Sella, DiLuca, Petacchi, Hondo etc

If you're not then it's off to Rock Racing at best - Hamilton, Landis, Heras, Botero, Sevilla, Mancebo, Rasmussen etc

Since Millar/Puerto in 2006, the only one I can think of who goes against this rule is Vino, and that's because Astana is his team.

Mambo95 said:
It's fairly simple really - Rasmussen isn't Italian.

If you're an Italian star then some Italian team will give you a shot after a suspension (long or short) - Basso, Ricco, Sella, DiLuca, Petacchi, Hondo etc

If you're not then it's off to Rock Racing at best - Hamilton, Landis, Heras, Botero, Sevilla, Mancebo, Rasmussen etc

Since Millar/Puerto in 2006, the only one I can think of who goes against this rule is Vino, and that's because Astana is his team.

What about Valve-Piti-Poopi-Peepee?

TRENDING THREADS