• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Wiggins 2009 tour he myoglobin

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
New to the forum, saw this on another site yesterday. Can anyone shed any light on the validity of the following:

Bradley's result from the second rest day in 2009 was suspicious. Hemoglobin should fall during the Tour but his rose. Here's what anti doping expert Michael Ashenden had to say about Floyd Landis' hemoglobin results from the 2006 Tour:

"Going from 15.5 to 16.1 (in hemoglobin) is not that unusual when not competing," Ashenden said by phone from Australia. "But it is very unusual to see an increase after a hard week of cycling. You’d expect it to be the reverse. You’d expect that to fall in a clean athlete. An increase like this in the midst of the Tour de France would be highly, highly unlikely.

"There’s nothing where I could point to one value and say, ‘This guy definitely doped.’ But it raises red flags for me. I would definitely recommend to anti-doping authorities that an athlete presenting these values should be target-tested for blood doping."

Wiggins' hemoglobin result rose from about 14.4 on the first rest day to about 15.2 on the second rest day. Highly highly unlikely in a clean athlete.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
you can increase your hemaeglobine level by taking lots of iron preprates or perhaps even through injection(legal then). on a restday especially this will have some effect. his hemaeglobine didn't increase like armstrong from 12-15 during the tour 2009. THAT is suspicious

Ryo Hazuki said:
you can increase your hemaeglobine level by taking lots of iron preprates or perhaps even through injection(legal then). on a restday especially this will have some effect. his hemaeglobine didn't increase like armstrong from 12-15 during the tour 2009. THAT is suspicious

Naturally Hämaglobin has to fall over the course of a three week effort.
A little iron won't do it.
But yea he is british so he 's clean, i know

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Bavarianrider said:

I'm not tlaking about a little iron,. but a lot and it actually increases your hemaeglobine a lot

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
Why does ashenden not realise this? He is an expert after all.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Bavarianrider said:
nothing to see here.

5eb9.jpg

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
Ryo Hazuki said:
I'm not tlaking about a little iron,. but a lot and it actually increases your hemaeglobine a lot

Please explain the timeline of iron taking and subsequent rise in Hgb as it pertains to a TdF rider and the rest day spike in Hgb as evidenced by the blood value datasets JV has released.

You do realise Hgb dying is not the cause of the diminishing Hgb - it's plasma expansion that leads to Hgb falling (g/dL). The reason Hgb is falling is because the body takes a long time to catch up to the plasma expansion. And this is not necessarily because the body is iron deficient, but more likely because the body's natural "healing" is suppressed due to the ongoing phsyical stress of the GT. It doesn't matter how much Fe you take - if there is not enough EPO triggering enough retic production, no additional new Hgb are going to be formed, and your Hgb is not going to spike such a significant amount in one hit.

As I say: if you can show the timeline of Fe ingestion to Hgb production, I welcome your explanation. But Fe is not magical fairy dust, there's a physiological process at work that must be satisfied for the result observed.

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:

Iron reserves take weeks and months build, no from one moment to the next.

Given the risk of hemochromatosis, posting such stuff on a forum is highly irresponsible.

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I don't know how they arrive at those numbers, but there should also be a margin of error on each data point. Without those, you can only speculate. And given only four points, it's near impossible to make an accurate fit to any theoretical line...

Sep 29, 2012
arjanh said:
I don't know how they arrive at those numbers, but there should also be a margin of error on each data point. Without those, you can only speculate. And given only four points, it's near impossible to make an accurate fit to any theoretical line...

1. Either the ABP is accurate and can be used to track dopers.
2. Or it's a complete and utter waste of space, useful for PR purposes only.

I say #2, but am prepared to poke the unlikely datapoints repeatedly because they squeal nicely.

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
1. Either the ABP is accurate and can be used to track dopers.
2. Or it's a complete and utter waste of space, useful for PR purposes only.

I say #2, but am prepared to poke the unlikely datapoints repeatedly because they squeal nicely.

I dearly hope the ABP is more than just a few values for each test. But like I said, I don't know 1) how they come to those numbers from a blood test, nor 2) what indicators they look at. For instance, do they measure blood pressure?

All I'm saying is that the data points mentioned in this thread are insufficient to draw any conclusion from.

Sep 29, 2012
arjanh said:
I dearly hope the ABP is more than just a few values for each test. But like I said, I don't know 1) how they come to those numbers from a blood test, nor 2) what indicators they look at. For instance, do they measure blood pressure?

All I'm saying is that the data points mentioned in this thread are insufficient to draw any conclusion from.

They do close to a CBC but focus on retic, Hgb and off-score for analysis - which is silly coz off-score is calculated based on Hgb and retics and almost impossible to trigger scrutiny.

There's a study by Zorilov or whatever his name is (UCI doctor), and you can find more info from the wada site on the ABP and how tests should be conducted, etc.

Trust me, it's a PR exercise at best. As a tool, it's like a finely tuned laser cutting tool, but if you use it with a blind fold on in a darkened room, the results are going to be far from acceptable.

The process is full of subjective interpretation, regardless of the blood results.

Fester said:
Iron reserves take weeks and months build, no from one moment to the next.

Given the risk of hemochromatosis, posting such stuff on a forum is highly irresponsible.

Yes, very good of you to post that bit of information.
My sister had hemochromatosis, not sure how she got it, but it was a problem. Ended up in the hospital for a short stay then had to have blood removed at periodic intervals. Eventualy all returned to normal

TRENDING THREADS