• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Wiggins, Clinic respect?

Page 29 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I didn’t want to lack motivation at Paris-Nice and have direct comparison with last year all the time. There was only one outcome unless I won it all again and that would have been to fail. I really wanted to avoid that. I didn’t want to put that pressure on myself.

Sounds like the Andy Schleck approach to racing.

Don't be late Pedro said:
Now you are just talking (even more) sh!te (than normal).

Think it's called irony.... last year marginal gains.... nobody was prepared to miss kids birthdays like Sky champions.... This year it's..... not facing pressure....

I look forward to Wiggo's 5th autobiography for the analysis.

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:
Think it's called irony.... last year marginal gains.... nobody was prepared to miss kids birthdays like Sky champions.... This year it's..... not facing pressure....

The only ironic thing about that statement is that you don't seem to understand what irony means. I get impression that the only gown you saw when you say 'town and gown' was if you worked at the dry cleaners in Cambridge.

thehog said:

Stole my thunder.

It can't be too hard to add a couple more marginal gains. After all, they are marginal.

A couple more over what he had last year and a virtually unrivaled shot at six more yellow jerseys would be in his future.

Dave.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
''Weight is a massive thing for me and Liège is all about power to weight and fitness. I’m 82kg in the off season, 75kg now and 70kg at the Tour. It takes me a long time to get there, a lot of hard work. But the plan is to be ready to go, two weeks out from the Giro, and so Liège-Bastogne-Liège fits in nicely."

:eek:

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
Reverse periodisation still seems to be missing from the recipe.

I wonder if he'll TT at 103rpm again this year?

I thought they'd announced that the buzz words for this year were 'performance streams'? replacing the outdated and unwieldy 'aggregation of marginal gains' which I am thankful for, although it's still all doublespeak anyway.

I am not sure they were ever 100% reverse periodisation although they did use it, I always got the impression that they used whatever training method fitted best for a given target race and period of time remaining which is why Brad will be heading off for his latest LHTLHi hypoxic conditioning session on Tenerife :)

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Fearless Greg Lemond said:
''Weight is a massive thing for me and Liège is all about power to weight and fitness. I’m 82k in the off season, 75kg now and 70kg at the Tour. It takes me a long time to get there, a lot of hard work. But the plan is to be ready to go, two weeks out from the Giro, and so Liège-Bastogne-Liège fits in nicely."

But I had thought that his newly-found ability as a Tour rider was because he doesn't let things slip in the 'off season' any more and his form is never less than 95% of of his maximum all year round?

I would find it a lot easier to 'believe' in Wiggins if he could keep his story straight for more than five minutes...

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
Wiggo Warrior said:
I thought they'd announced that the buzz words for this year were 'performance streams'? replacing the outdated and unwieldy 'aggregation of marginal gains' which I am thankful for, although it's still all doublespeak anyway.

I am not sure they were ever 100% reverse periodisation although they did use it, I always got the impression that they used whatever training method fitted best for a given target race and period of time remaining which is why Brad will be heading off for his latest LHTLHi hypoxic conditioning session on Tenerife :)

Oh so he's not operating at 96% from November to August this time around? That only works when your target race is in July? This time it's in May so we're seeing him operate at 75%, is that it?

Gotcha.

:rolleyes:

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Robert21 said:
But I had thought that his newly-found ability as a Tour rider was because he doesn't let things slip in the 'off season' any more and his form is never less than 95% of of his maximum all year round?

I would find it a lot easier to 'believe' in Wiggins if he could keep his story straight for more than five minutes...

Looks like most of the second half of 2012 was spent partying. It's not that hard to get your head round is it?

So I don't think we'll be seeing much discussion of wiggo's 2013 results in the Clinic...

If he turns up at LBL weighing 5kg less than now people have the right to be skeptical

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Fearless Greg Lemond said:
''Weight is a massive thing for me and Liège is all about power to weight and fitness. I’m 82kg in the off season, 75kg now and 70kg at the Tour. It takes me a long time to get there, a lot of hard work. But the plan is to be ready to go, two weeks out from the Giro, and so Liège-Bastogne-Liège fits in nicely."

:eek:

He certainly didn't look 82Kg this off season.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
What kind of a w**ker is Wiggins?

He wins pretty much everything he wanted last year and made it look easy! This year he doesn't want to do it again? Bollix. He cant, no Leinders!

He wants to race the Giro because they dont talk about doping in Italy? Bollix with all the coverage of Mantova, Cipo, Basso etc etc the Italians dont talk about doping!

Wiggins stop smoking that ***!

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
What kind of a w**ker is Wiggins?

He wins pretty much everything he wanted last year and made it look easy! This year he doesn't want to do it again? Bollix. He cant, no Leinders!

He wants to race the Giro because they dont talk about doping in Italy? Bollix with all the coverage of Mantova, Cipo, Basso etc etc the Italians dont talk about doping!

Wiggins stop smoking that ***!

Couldn't have put it better myself. If 'I want to race the Giro as they don't talk about doping' doesn't sound suspicious then I don't know what does.

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Gaining and losing 12 kg as the world's no. 1 cyclist all within a season.

All without pharmaceutical assistance and beating the other top athletes that take their weight and training seriously all year around.

Wiggo basically giving the fingers up to the rest of the pro peloton with this statement.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
howsteepisit said:
I really thought that Wiggins comments were strange. I won the Tour and everything else last year, now this year, I wan to just win the Giro. Seems odd to me.

Why? To me it's seems entirely correct.

Forget doping/not doping - Wiggins '12 win was after almost 2 years commitment. He is a diesel and was on his best ever form, but even then his win relied on not having Contador, Schleck around, Froome on a leash and a dominant team. Thats never going to happen again.

Froome will be Sky's new golden child, so give BW a new goal and a new program, the only worry is that he appears to feel he is already behind where he should be, and for someone like him, that's not good.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Why? To me it's seems entirely correct.

Forget doping/not doping - Wiggins '12 win was after almost 2 years commitment. He is a diesel and was on his best ever form, but even then his win relied on not having Contador, Schleck around, Froome on a leash and a dominant team. Thats never going to happen again.

Froome will be Sky's new golden child, so give BW a new goal and a new program, the only worry is that he appears to feel he is already behind where he should be, and for someone like him, that's not good.

The Winning mentality does not think like that. If they did no one would've entered the TdF between 99 - 05 because they all knew it was a forgone conclusion.

Imagine LeMond, Fignon, Hinault, Indurain etc etc all saying, won the TdF once, just leave it now!

BS.