• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Wiggins Discussion thread.

Page 30 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
nowhereman said:
You know what I love the most about "wiggo"? He's got a sour attitude most of the time, and he is, by no stretch of the imagination, a "cutie". Yet he insists on that ridiculous hair style, pulling gobs of hair forward, over his sideburns! And then he fastens his helmet straps over that mess (to keep it in place?!). When he takes his helmet off and pulls a baseball hat over that mess he still makes sure that those bunches of hair are pulled forward, as if to frame his face. UGH! :confused: Doesn't he ever look in a mirror? He really ought to update that lame look. Then again, I don't think Stefan Schumacher realizes how insanely bizarre:eek: his shaved noggin looks, at the other extreme.

:rolleyes:As I said in the Depreciation thread NIT PICKING

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
How he apparently screwed them over by going out and winning the Tour, because Fränk totally wouldn't have lost the jersey to Evans in the ITT if Sastre had sat in the pack like a goon.

Off topic, can mods please delete this? This discussion is only about what Wigans (yes I vote we start calling him Wigans again) said.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Christian said:
Off topic, can mods please delete this? This discussion is only about what Wigans (yes I vote we start calling him Wigans again) said.

Off topic, can mods please delele this? This discussion is only about what Wiggins said.

Duartista said:
That's about as valid an argument as using Wiggins' 2010 TDF as evidence that he is likely to be thrashed by (for example) Ryder Hesjedal the next time they meet in a GT.

shhh, using logic isn't allowed on this thread. wiggins is a much better climber then scarponi because he out climbed him at the vuelta, outside factors as sickness that led to massively bad shape won't be taken into consideration.

a shame this year's tour doesn't has a stage like gardeccia, it would be enough to put wiggins out of contention.

Parrulo said:
shhh, using logic isn't allowed on this thread. wiggins is a much better climber then scarponi because he out climbed him at the vuelta, outside factors as sickness that led to massively bad shape won't be taken into consideration.

a shame this year's tour doesn't has a stage like gardeccia, it would be enough to put wiggins out of contention.
Im worried the lack of sleep is getting you parullo san.

When has any tour had a stage like Gardeccia ;)

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Richeypen said:
That was the same stage where he put time into Evans who went on to win the tour. And you neatly gloss over the stage the next day which included the Croix de Fer and La Toussuire where he finished with the favourites.

As for the Angliru he lost 1.20 not two minutes on one of the hardest climbs in the world two weeks after coming back from a broken collarbone. In fact he put time into Jrod, VDB, Mollema, Nibali etc. (I notice that you aren't mentioning the two MTFs where Wiggins ripped the field to shreds)

Now Im not saying that Wiggins is a shoe in for the Tour, infact I think Menchov will win it, but to play down his chances based on his climbing in the Dauphine and the Vuelta last year is just wrong.

1. Evans was clearly riding within himself to make sure he got to the tour in top form.
2. The point is tough mountains where the favourites do not finish in a group together.
3. Your point should have been yes he lost 1min+ to Rodriguez, but Rodriguez was not a threat on GC.
4. Angliru was the only mountain at la Vuelta, everything else was too easy to create a selection.
5. Angliru, 5th, to known GC contenders, Cobo, Froome, Menchov(I'll give you that one), and Poels

I'm not saying Wiggins has no chance, just in my mind when the hammer really gets dropped on a tough pass, multiple pass stage, Wiggins hasn't proven he can hang within a minute of the winner.
On form, Wiggins looks great especially if the race is negative, but if the pressure is applied on say stage 11, 16 and 17, some contenders may well find themselves losing 2-3 minutes per stage, and Wiggins has never proven himself able to stick with the leaders in these situations.

The big Question mark is will those who back themselves to outclimb Evans and Wiggins have the strength motivation to try, and if so well then the race becomes interesting ;)

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
How can anyone appreciate Wiggo? Why does this thread even exist? He is such a boring rider and he says such bad things about Alberto that I can do nothing else than hate him.
And I thought El Pis(s) was bad... What has he said about AC that was not true and was so bad then?

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
karlboss said:
1. Evans was clearly riding within himself to make sure he got to the tour in top form.
2. The point is tough mountains where the favourites do not finish in a group together.
3. Your point should have been yes he lost 1min+ to Rodriguez, but Rodriguez was not a threat on GC.
4. Angliru was the only mountain at la Vuelta, everything else was too easy to create a selection.
5. Angliru, 5th, to known GC contenders, Cobo, Froome, Menchov(I'll give you that one), and Poels

I'm not saying Wiggins has no chance, just in my mind when the hammer really gets dropped on a tough pass, multiple pass stage, Wiggins hasn't proven he can hang within a minute of the winner.
On form, Wiggins looks great especially if the race is negative, but if the pressure is applied on say stage 11, 16 and 17, some contenders may well find themselves losing 2-3 minutes per stage, and Wiggins has never proven himself able to stick with the leaders in these situations.

The big Question mark is will those who back themselves to outclimb Evans and Wiggins have the strength motivation to try, and if so well then the race becomes interesting ;)
I agree with a lot of this. The two thing I would add is

i) How will the jump from a one week to a three week race affect his ability to recover. This is not only to keep up in the mountains but also for the final TT where he would be expected to make back time on a number of GC contenders.

Don't be late Pedro said:
I agree with a lot of this. The two thing I would add is

i) How will the jump from a one week to a three week race affect his ability to recover. This is not only to keep up in the mountains but also for the final TT where he would be expected to make back time on a number of GC contenders.

Great point, especially when combined with the "mutation" of weight loss he has had, which one would expect would impact recovery.

nowhereman said:
You know what I love the most about "wiggo"? He's got a sour attitude most of the time, and he is, by no stretch of the imagination, a "cutie". Yet he insists on that ridiculous hair style, pulling gobs of hair forward, over his sideburns! And then he fastens his helmet straps over that mess (to keep it in place?!). When he takes his helmet off and pulls a baseball hat over that mess he still makes sure that those bunches of hair are pulled forward, as if to frame his face. UGH! :confused: Doesn't he ever look in a mirror? He really ought to update that lame look. Then again, I don't think Stefan Schumacher realizes how insanely bizarre:eek: his shaved noggin looks, at the other extreme.

Priceless :p

karlboss said:

Agreed, if he can remove that one bad day that he seems to have in grand tours then he could realistically win the tour. Big if though, lets face it GT are about being consistent for three whole weeks.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
I see Wiggo is off for another 2 weeks altitude training, to go with the two weeks he did before Romandie. As well as sorting his attitude problems out he is also prepared to put the hours in away from the family (yes, I know its in Tenerife :rolleyes:)

I wonder if A Schleck is doing a similar amount of work on his ITT? Because he needs to...