• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Wiggins Discussion thread.

Page 209 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Buffalo Soldier said:
True.
Was a track rider, won it all. Became a GC rider, won the highest there is. Went on to TT, won the 2 biggest ones. Now there's just P-R left, and a retirement filled with beer and chips.

(Oh yes I'm a fanboy)

Well, another gold medal at Olympics before that and hour record ;)

nhowson said:
One of those riders finished top 10 in the TdF this year. I don't understand Sky sometimes.

If I was Sky DS I'd send Konig to the Tour to support Froome, Froome will need a strong team to help him. It then leaves either the Giro or Vuelta for Konig too. I understand Sky wanting to give Porte a chance again at the Giro but after his form of the last 18 months then there is every chance Konig could step in anyway. Sky could easily go Porte Giro, Froome Tour and possibly Konig/Nieve given free reign at the Vuelta. This would then leave them time for guys like Henao to build up some form without any pressure after his terrible injury. I believe Henao's targets are Ardennes then Tour anyway.

It means Wiggins can go to the Giro as a helping hand for Viviani in the sprints and taking his stage win via the TT.

Buffalo Soldier said:
The hour record is a mere formality :D

On the contrary, the Hour record is too hard for him. He said himself he never wished to go for it until the UCI abolished it in order to only retain the Hour performance.

Wiggo doesn't have the balls to mount a real bike and go for an hour solo effort on it, while Cancellara planned to do it and was stopped by the same disastrous UCI reform. All he can use is a supersonic sh*t.

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
Echoes said:
On the contrary, the Hour record is too hard for him. He said himself he never wished to go for it until the UCI abolished it in order to only retain the Hour performance.

Wiggo doesn't have the balls to mount a real bike and go for an hour solo effort on it, while Cancellara planned to do it and was stopped by the same disastrous UCI reform. All he can use is a supersonic sh*t.

You'll get good odds on Cancellara beating Wiggins on a track these days. Much like Wiggins is no longer a GC rider, Cancellara is long past his peak against the clock.

elfed68 said:
Where does it say that?

I obviously live under a rock as I've just looked on Twitter and it's everywhere!

Would have been nice to see him in the Giro doing the TT in the WC jersey.

He's doing a full Classics programme, we all know what happens when Bradley Wiggins states he's training for an event, never underestimate that man!

Watch out if he really is doing a full spring classics program as suggested! Last time did a full race program like that was for the Tour de France and ended up with a Paris–Nice, Tour de Romandie and Critérium du Dauphiné clean sweep lol!
Seriously, I'd like to see him go all out to win Strade Bianche & ride Milan San Remo in support of his team.

samhocking said:
Watch out if he really is doing a full spring classics program as suggested! Last time did a full race program like that was for the Tour de France and ended up with a Paris–Nice, Tour de Romandie and Critérium du Dauphiné clean sweep lol!
Seriously, I'd like to see him go all out to win Strade Bianche & ride Milan San Remo in support of his team.

There are Twitter rumours of Froome being involved, really hope it's not true!

Team Wiggo

elfed68 said:
Where does it say that?

TheGuardian also reports that here:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/jan/05/bradley-wiggins-team-sky-contract-extension

which ends
After his contract with Sky finishes at the end of April, Wiggins is expected to transfer to a new squad registered at UCI Continental level, provisionally entitled “Team Wiggo”, which is being set up to enable him and other prospective Great Britain team pursuiters to race on the road while preparing for Rio.

Details on “Team Wiggo” are sparse at present, although much of the lineup has filtered out. It will include pursuiters Owain Doull, Mark Christian, Andy Tennant and Steven Burke, with Jon Dibben another possible. The directeur sportif will be former professional Simon Cope, who has been involved with the Great Britain team for several years. It seems likely that it will be backed by Sky, although UCI rules mean it cannot take Sky’s name as its official title. There are indications that the team may race for the first time without Wiggins – in the Challenge Mallorca at the end of January.

Hugo Koblet said:
I'll definitely be cheering for Wiggins at PR. He's one of the most complete riders of this generation and a win in PR will hopefully make a lot more realise that.

Yet Stannard (Omloop Het Nieuwsblad) and Thomas (3rd E3 Harelbeke) have both delivered classics results. Thomas has more results than just the Spring. Yet, Wiggins is 'their man for the classics.'

More brilliant strategy from Sky/BC.

That's got to hurt if you are Stannard or Thomas.

DirtyWorks said:
Yet Stannard (Omloop Het Nieuwsblad) and Thomas (3rd E3 Harelbeke) have both delivered classics results. Thomas has more results than just the Spring. Yet, Wiggins is 'their man for the classics.'

More brilliant strategy from Sky/BC.

That's got to hurt if you are Stannard or Thomas.

Yep, the situation will not be easy to handle in PR. Perhaps less so with Stannard who I think must go early and force reactions from other teams. Thomas however would probably follow a similar race plan as Wiggo potentially making them conflict.

In other cobble races, Wiggo will step aside (or ride along) without impacting the others' plans imo.

Dazed and Confused said:
Yep, the situation will not be easy to handle in PR. Perhaps less so with Stannard who I think must go early and force reactions from other teams. Thomas however would probably follow a similar race plan as Wiggo potentially making them conflict.

In other cobble races, Wiggo will step aside (or ride along) without impacting the others' plans imo.

It would be more fair for Wiggo to ride in support of the other two for most of the Classics season, except PR. Most plans go out the window at PR anyway, so, that would be fine by me.

I see Stannard and Thomas fighting at the front in the Spring. But, I didn't see Wiggo fighting for position and staying on the front. He rode back into the lead group when the lead group inevitably slowed down after attacks. In one sense, that's perfectly fine, in another, it almost guarantees a 3-10 final ranking.

Maybe Wiggo can do it. Let's hope he rides for Stannard and Thomas for at least part of the Classics season.

DirtyWorks said:
It would be more fair for Wiggo to ride in support of the other two for most of the Classics season, except PR. Most plans go out the window at PR anyway, so, that would be fine by me.

I see Stannard and Thomas fighting at the front in the Spring. But, I didn't see Wiggo fighting for position and staying on the front. He rode back into the lead group when the lead group inevitably slowed down after attacks. In one sense, that's perfectly fine, in another, it almost guarantees a 3-10 final ranking.

Maybe Wiggo can do it. Let's hope he rides for Stannard and Thomas for at least part of the Classics season.

I see no reason why he shouldn't be able to do that as well.
Having said that I rarely rate "captains" efforts to help others. Often not deep and committed enough.

Anyway the cobbles season can't come soon enough.

TRENDING THREADS