• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Wiggins Discussion thread.

Page 220 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Re:

SeriousSam said:
Wasn't to be, huh. Bye Brad!

he wasn't even in the top 10. And his team mate beat him. Boy. Finally, I don't have to hear anymore about wiggin and PR as if he is already won it. He got more press time than the real contender. So, congrats to Degenkolb for winning it.

Damn haters :D Well it wasn't his day,he attacked but couldn't make it count.Too bad he couldn't add Roubaix to his tally,it would have look very good on his palmares.I think is good that he tried to win a last race before leaving the team.Chapeau Sir Bradley Wiggins!

DBotero said:
Damn haters :D Well it wasn't his day,he attacked but couldn't make it count.Too bad he couldn't add Roubaix to his tally,it would have look very good on his palmares.I think is good that he tried to win a last race before leaving the team.Chapeau Sir Bradley Wiggins!

if Wiggins had tragetted PR earlier in his career he would ahve won it.....He has done very well for a rider who barely rode a cobbles race ....That is what the haters don't want to hear ...he has very good natural ability

I think cycling is less exciting without him

HelloDolly said:
DBotero said:

if Wiggins had tragetted PR earlier in his career he would ahve won it.....He has done very well for a rider who barely rode a cobbles race ....That is what the haters don't want to hear ...he has very good natural ability

So how often do you think (without looking it up) that Wiggins has started Paris-Roubaix? 2-3 times?

HelloDolly said:
DBotero said:

That's a bold claim for a rider that has won only two one-day races (non time trials) in about ten years. How exactly do you think he would have beaten Boonen or Cancellara - the riders that won most of those races earlier in his career. Out-sprinted them? Time-trialled away from them over the cobbles?

He makes cycling exciting for the ordinary punter who is not a cycling geek as he has personality and character and a bit of madness about him . He has been responsible for so many getting interested in cycling in UK and other places...People who had never watched a bike race know who he is...In a sport strapped for cash and lacking sponsors Wiggins is a god send.....But hey you go right ahead and slag him off all you like....very narrow minded insular guff

Re:

HelloDolly said:
He makes cycling exciting for the ordinary punter who is not a cycling geek as he has personality and character and a bit of madness about him . He has been responsible for so many getting interested in cycling in UK and other places...People who had never watched a bike race know who he is...In a sport strapped for cash and lacking sponsors Wiggins is a god send.....But hey you go right ahead and slag him off all you like....very narrow minded insular guff

I don't think anyone is slagging him off for raising the profile of cycling in the UK.

People, however, are ridculing his, and the British medias, hype about his chances at Paris-Roubaix - based on an appalling record in one day races and absolutely no recent form.

Also, throwing bikes around and treating historic races with litle respect don't really endear him to many cycling fans.

Re: Re:

DFA123 said:
HelloDolly said:

I don't think anyone is slagging him off for raising the profile of cycling in the UK.

People, however, are ridculing his, and the British medias, hype about his chances at Paris-Roubaix - based on an appalling record in one day races and absolutely no recent form.

Also, throwing bikes around and treating historic races with litle respect don't really endear him to many cycling fans.

How has he done that?

By the way, guess who the main image on the Sporza stream coverage of Roubaix was....

9u53bk.jpg

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
HelloDolly said:
DBotero said:

Wiggins never won Roubaix, and never will. He wasn't even close. End of story

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
http://www.procyclingstats.com/rider.php?id=140851&c=5&season=all&edition_id=1036&sort_by=date&ApplyFilter=Filter

3 DNF, 49th, 25th, 90th, 9th and 18th in 8 race starts in Roubaix. Wiggins was indeed never going to win this
But he has only ridden it 9 times. If only he had started out sooner, he'd have won it for sure :rolleyes:

Netserk said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
http://www.procyclingstats.com/rider.php?id=140851&c=5&season=all&edition_id=1036&sort_by=date&ApplyFilter=Filter

3 DNF, 49th, 25th, 90th, 9th and 18th in 8 race starts in Roubaix. Wiggins was indeed never going to win this
But he has only ridden it 9 times. If only he had started out sooner, he'd have won it for sure :rolleyes:

Yeah you definately need 20 starts at least. Boonen started when he was 5 years old. :cool:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Netserk said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:

Yeah you definately need 20 starts at least. Boonen started when he was 5 years old. :cool:

Even Cancellara was able to win Ronde after like 7 attempts. If Wiggins really focused on cobbles, he could have done better but he was never going to win Roubaix for sure.

An people on here have this problem with British press and other press bigging up Wiggins ...But you fail to understand that without Wiggins few bike races get a mention in the monistream press/media

He is a draw hence the hype

How many ordinary Joe Punters had a bob on him today and tuned into see the race...Some will stick and that is better for cycling even if so many small minded cycling 'experts' cannot see the bigger picture for the sport

TRENDING THREADS