• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Wiggins Discussion thread.

Page 230 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

MatParker117 said:
Compared to 2012 it wasn't great but he still won a stage race, a WC medal, a GT stage, a WT stage and another stage it's a season the vast majority of the peloton would kill for.

That was a TTT, not an individual win.

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Re:

El Pistolero said:
Rationality says that track cycling is of a much lower level than road cycling.

I don't dislike Wiggo, I just think his palmares is incredibly overrated. He had one amazing year, that's it.
Then why all the hate?

Re:

El Pistolero said:
And tell me this, why would a cyclist who can dominate on the road opt to go for track cycling instead? Who knows how many gold medals Cancellara could have earned on the track, but is it really worth giving up the classics for? The answer is no.

Wiggo got his *** kicked hard on the road in 2013. No wonder he scurried back to track cycling. Yeah, he won the WC TT in 2014, but he was still fresh by then while Martin had ridden a full season. He was tired by the time the WC began.

You'd think at least one big name rider from the road would have tried an endurance track event to get Olympic medal. Especially as generally, the Olympic road race is a more difficult medal to win given the variables and luck involved. But you're right, the level is so high on the track now and times so fast no rider can hope to win Olympic gold without giving up a couple of seasons on the road.

Re:

El Pistolero said:

I don't dislike Wiggo, I just think his palmares is incredibly overrated. He had one amazing year, that's it.

Without a Tour win Cancellara's & Martin's is overrated too then by that logic. I mean why would any rider give up riding timetrials and classics to win the Tour?

Re:

El Pistolero said:

He was also very strong in 2011, winning the Dauphine and went in to the Tour in great form, however obviously suffered an unlucky crash and had to abandon. He also did a monster turn for Cav in the worlds road race after finishing 2nd in the TT and 3rd in the Vuelta. I think the 1 good season comment is harsh.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

CheckMyPecs said:
El Pistolero said:

Then why all the hate?

Because track cycling is a lame sport that would be dead if it wasn't for the Olympics. I hate sports that only exist to win some Olympic medals. Is that really what sport is about? Not for me. I also hate wins in relay races because I don't think someone's nationality should be a factor in whether or not you can win medals... If Wiggo had the Belgian nationality he wouldn't stand a chance in the Team Pursuit.

El Pistolero said:
CheckMyPecs said:
El Pistolero said:

Then why all the hate?

Because track cycling is a lame sport that would be dead if it wasn't for the Olympics. I hate sports that only exist to win some Olympic medals. Is that really what sport is about? Not for me.
You're certainly entitled to your opinion but you're completely wrong that track cycling would be dead if it wasn't for the Olympics.

We have an outdoor velodrome in Redmond Washington that's rockin every friday night with racers that could care less about the Olympics and fans that love watching them race, including me.

Track cycling is exciting and it brings communities together without being a part of Olympic competition. Around here it's something to do on a Friday night, among many other things people could else wise be doing.

I wouldn't doubt it if the same atmosphere is recreated all over the world, including GB with riders like Wiggo before he was Wiggo.

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site

El Pistolero said:
CheckMyPecs said:
El Pistolero said:

Then why all the hate?

Because track cycling is a lame sport that would be dead if it wasn't for the Olympics. I hate sports that only exist to win some Olympic medals. Is that really what sport is about? Not for me. I also hate wins in relay races because I don't think someone's nationality should be a factor in whether or not you can win medals... If Wiggo had the Belgian nationality he wouldn't stand a chance in the Team Pursuit.

In other words, you hate basically every single sport except football, cycling, tennis, basketball, baseball, and NFL.

El Pistolero said:
CheckMyPecs said:
El Pistolero said:

Then why all the hate?

hilarious spin. you hate track cycling as it's a lame sport, you hate team sky for ruining cycling, hate froome for coming from nowhere, hate valverde and rodriguez for not having enormous achievements and being content with podium places... what is the bottom line? :rolleyes: perhaps the number of big riders you don't hate can be counted on the fingers of one hand.

wiggins is a prominent bike rider, track cyclist in particular. proclaiming one is overrated as I dislike (hate him) is ridiculous like hell. -)

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

dacooley said:
El Pistolero said:
CheckMyPecs said:
El Pistolero said:

Then why all the hate?

hilarious spin. you hate track cycling as it's a lame sport, you hate team sky for ruining cycling, hate froome for coming from nowhere, hate valverde and rodriguez for not having enormous achievements and being content with with podium places... what is the bottom line? :rolleyes:

Not being a wheelsucker.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
damian13ster said:
Oh boy. I have been here for couple years and you are only second poster EVER that I am forced to put on ignore list.
Are you trolling on purpose?

How childish.

I'm not the one who constantly keeps bringing up track cycling in the road racing section. There's a sub-forum for track cycling, discuss it there. Too bad it's inactive as nobody cares for it...

El Pistolero said:
I'm not the one who constantly keeps bringing up track cycling in the road racing section. There's a sub-forum for track cycling, discuss it there. Too bad it's inactive as nobody cares for it...

Here's a photo of nobody caring about it in Ghent, where of course the sport is dead because it relies on the Olympics, and Belgium never win at the Olympics, and of course the sport only exists to win some Olympic medals.

Kuipke%2001-68-12690.jpg

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
TMP402 said:
El Pistolero said:

Here's a photo of nobody caring about it in Ghent, where of course the sport is dead because it relies on the Olympics, and Belgium never win at the Olympics, and of course the sport only exists to win some Olympic medals.

Kuipke%2001-68-12690.jpg

Six Day events are taken about as serious as a post-tour crit in Belgium. :lol: I've been there myself.

Please don't tell me, a Belgian, what my country is into. It's certainly not track cycling.

TMP402 said:
El Pistolero said:

Kuipke%2001-68-12690.jpg

Damn, just look at the track... barely a stretch of "straight". The racing is great at Ghent. Note: I agree with EP, six days are just for fun these days.

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
TMP402 said:
El Pistolero said:

Kuipke%2001-68-12690.jpg

I'm just trying to think how Eddy Merckx got injured in 1969. Can't have been, say, a track race, because a rider of Merckx's calibre would never have ridden such an insignificant race in a sport no one cares about in Belgium.

TMP402 said:
PremierAndrew said:
Meanwhile, he did have a great 2012. But once again, the greats dominate for multiple years, not just one.

Who is to say he wouldn't have won the Tour again in 2013 or 2014 or 2015 or 2016? He didn't get the chance so it's a moot point.
The fact that he was in his mid 30's while a yonger Froome was going through one of the greatest peaks in the history of sport.

TRENDING THREADS