• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Wiggins - Hour Record

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
TShame said:
Wiggins can probably still beat Jens with some heavy track training, especially now that the new rules are in place. Still not sure why Colby Pierce's 'legal bike' record of 49.8 was discounted (not his attempt on the Lotus, which is deemed illegal).
Jens smashed many expectations, but he has never been in the status of Wiggins, Cancellara, and Martin.
I'm guessing Wiggins could do 51.55, Cancellara 51.85, Martin 52.01.
I haven't seen Jens attempt yet. However, Wiggins is known for painting the line and with that many laps, he could ride much closer to 52 than either Cancellara or Martin riding at 52 (and missing most of their turns by a meter each time.) I have raced with a front disc and I know it takes much more concentration, esp. in the turns.
If Wiggins puts the number much higher, Cancellara may seek a higher altitude.

I don't understand why Boardman's 93 world record is diqualified.Seems like a legal bike/position.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
TShame said:
Wiggins can probably still beat Jens with some heavy track training, especially now that the new rules are in place. Still not sure why Colby Pierce's 'legal bike' record of 49.8 was discounted (not his attempt on the Lotus, which is deemed illegal).
Jens smashed many expectations, but he has never been in the status of Wiggins, Cancellara, and Martin.
I haven't seen Jens attempt yet. However, Wiggins is known for painting the line and with that many laps, he could ride much closer to 52 than either Cancellara or Martin riding at 52 (and missing most of their turns by a meter each time.) I have raced with a front disc and I know it takes much more concentration, esp. in the turns.
i am reasonably sure that (when properly trained within the latest uci rules) wiggins' potential is at least 53 k and martins around 54 k. both imo have much bigger natural aerobic engines than jens...

May 8, 2009
Visit site
TShame said:

Boardman did 52.27 in 1993 with 410W. Wiggins went 445W for 66 minutes at the 2013 world's TT, and technology has moved on in the last 21 (!) years. 54km for Wiggins, close to 55km for Martin would be a more reasonable guess. Voigt wasn't even wearing a proper aero helmet

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Bumeington said:
............. Voigt wasn't even wearing a proper aero helmet

I'm sure Trek figured which was the best helmet for Voigt in terms of both aerodynamics and comfort. Very few riders use the elongated aero helmet these days.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
martin? definitely less than wiggo. wiggo at this point can already do almost 54 i'd say. but he wants to go for rominger's best time and i think he will do next year around 55.5 km . superman boardman is untouchable imo

What is this based on? Martin is thought by many to be the best flat road TTer in racing today.

richwagmn said:
What is this based on? Martin is thought by many to be the best flat road TTer in racing today.

ehmm, the hour record is taking place on track. big difference. much more experience for wiggo and at times he beat martin even at his best.see 2012 ollympics where he put apocalyptic wattage. probably with same wattage and good preparation for track, he will beat rominger one. we'll see

sosenka should hurry.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
ehmm, the hour record is taking place on track. big difference. much more experience for wiggo and at times he beat martin even at his best.see 2012 ollympics where he put apocalyptic wattage. probably with same wattage and good preparation for track, he will beat rominger one. we'll see

sosenka should hurry.

Fair points. Regardless, it'll be fun to see it contested next year.

jens_attacks said:
how many watts does he need? if over 500, he can't do it.

Depending on the track and environmental conditions, he'll need something like 2,200W/m^2 to 2,440W/m^2 for tracks below 500m altitude.

At higher altitude that drops, e.g. at 2,000m he'd need ~ 1,890W/m^2 - 1,950W/m^2.

All assumes high quality track, no wind.

W/m^2 = power / CdA
CdA = coefficient of drag x frontal area

May 11, 2009
Visit site
The endurance riders at my track say a longer velodrome is better than a short one. Are there any indoor velodromes longer than 250 m?

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Hour Record database

From UCI marks, to human-powered streamlined recumbent marks, I've tried to post as many One Hour marks that I can in this database here. They are searchable by Best performance for each rider. I welcome help in corrections to these marks, and additions. I am a past records committee member of the IHPVA International Human Powered Vehicle Association. I attend and race at many human powered events.
http://www.recumbents.com/wisil/fastest_list.asp

Chris Boardman's Superman record has now been bettered twice (the first time in 2012 with a 56.168 km effort) by a Frenchman, Aurelien Bonneateau on a handmade carbon fiber recumbent with a very laid-back seat, and two 700c disk wheels, an elliptical chaining and very short cranks (125 mm) which kept the circle swept out by his legs smaller and hence his frontal area smaller. His bike did not have a streamlined enclosure. His latest mark is 56.696 km July 16, 2014 at the Velodrome du Lac in Bordeaux, France. Just 11 days after this he went 87.225 km in one-hour in a streamlined recumbent built by IUT Annecy University students. In a two-day schedule reminiscent of Graeme Obree, Bonneteau had also ridden a hard One-hour the day before doing 85.3 km. This was on the Dekra Test oval in Germany, an outdoor 5.8 km long oval. Aurelien was one time on the French national team, but left to pursue recumbent racing. He is one of the strongest riders in our sport, having gone 124.91 kph top speed at the World Human Powered Speed Challenge held near Battle Mountain, Nevada, USA His records are all French national records.

On a "stock" recumbent I've done 45.2 km for one hour, and with a streamlined recumbent, I've done 61 km for one hour (needless to say making me feel like Superman to have gone faster than any UCI mark)

samhocking said:
He's rumoured to be using the Palma Arena so no altitude there really, but it is a short drive from his holiday place and friends. Interesting he says his body doesn't cope well above 1,600m and wouldn't offer his physiology any advantage.

Issue is whether one can gain a speed advantage, not a physiological one.

For most the physics gains outweigh the physiological losses.

TRENDING THREADS