• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Wiggins - Hour Record

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
boardhanger said:
Track expericence....as Fabian said there is places on the road where one can coast....???The track a different game?

True and yes on the road the wind could have a HUGE influence, either wind in the back or headwind.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Cancellara could learn the ways of the track if he really wanted to. Wiggins cannot learn to put down the amount of power that Spartacus can.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Jamsque said:
Cancellara could learn the ways of the track if he really wanted to. Wiggins cannot learn to put down the amount of power that Spartacus can.
The Hour isn't just about power, rather the measured application of it. That is something that Wiggins has years of experience of. Wiggins comes from a pursuiting background just as Boardman did. Plus he has one of the fastest tracks in the world to train on in his back yard.

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Bike Boy said:
I hope you know that this is best performance, not the official record.

It's a little disingenuous of the UCI to retroactively relegate those hour records which made use of developments in metallurgy and aerodynamics after Merckxs effort to the category of "Best Human Effort", and then decree that the bike has to be like the one used by Eddy Merckx, don't you think?

Eddy (and Ole Ritter when he attempted again) were using the best of what they could get at the time (with bikes weighing less than the current UCI minimum), which far surpassed anything that Desgrange, Petit-Breton, Coppi or even Anquetil had access to. Perhaps the "Best Human Effort" section should be pulled back to when Fausto Coppi set the record?

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
For The World said:
It's a little disingenuous of the UCI to retroactively relegate those hour records which made use of developments in metallurgy and aerodynamics after Merckxs effort to the category of "Best Human Effort", and then decree that the bike has to be like the one used by Eddy Merckx, don't you think?

Eddy (and Ole Ritter when he attempted again) were using the best of what they could get at the time (with bikes weighing less than the current UCI minimum), which far surpassed anything that Desgrange, Petit-Breton, Coppi or even Anquetil had access to. Perhaps the "Best Human Effort" section should be pulled back to when Fausto Coppi set the record?

flat effort are you familiar with momentum? imo a heavier bike and wheels would likely be better for a flat hour record. i always notice when carrying stuff home my speed stays higher once there from the added weight. of course only benefit flat ground individual stuff with no slow down speed up issues. other tech issues aside i see no difference....

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Jack Bobridge. Already taken Boardmands 4000 record. Took U23 World TT Championship (19 or 20 at the time) - not ready for it now, but if anyone was going to take it, he'd be the best bet. That said, the hour record really doesn't have the prestige it once had so doubt he will try it.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
forty four said:
flat effort are you familiar with momentum? imo a heavier bike and wheels would likely be better for a flat hour record. i always notice when carrying stuff home my speed stays higher once there from the added weight. of course only benefit flat ground individual stuff with no slow down speed up issues. other tech issues aside i see no difference....

yep, a flywheel effect. helps to smooth out peaks and valleys due to variable torque on the pedals. thus improving average power and speed.

if the hour effort was dependent on hard accelerations, then lighter wheels would be preferable. but (with minor fluctuations due to track turns) the ideal effort required should be as constant as possible.

oh, and i do believe wiggins can do it.

python said:
yep, a flywheel effect. helps to smooth out peaks and valleys due to variable torque on the pedals. thus improving average power and speed.

if the hour effort was dependent on hard accelerations, then lighter wheels would be preferable. but (with minor fluctuations due to track turns) the ideal effort required should be as constant as possible.

oh, and i do believe wiggins can do it.

The amount of additional inertia added to a bike + rider system from heavier wheels would be negligible.

All that matters is aerodynamics, power output and good pacing.

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Alex Simmons/RST said:
The amount of additional inertia added to a bike + rider system from heavier wheels would be negligible.

All that matters is aerodynamics, power output and good pacing.

Ah, but in the lexicon of GB Cycling/Team Sky, negligible = marginal gains.

Given there's 269 metres covering Sosenka, Boardman and Merckx, wouldn't you say that's pretty marginal?

(Also, Sosenka's record is open for discrediting. But that's for another part of the forums.)

Met de Versnelling said:
Ah, but in the lexicon of GB Cycling/Team Sky, negligible = marginal gains.

Given there's 269 metres covering Sosenka, Boardman and Merckx, wouldn't you say that's pretty marginal?
When I say negligible, I mean the change in inertia is negligible, not the impact to performance.

I consider its impact on actual performance for an hour record to be zero. Which is a fraction less than negligible.

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
forty four said:

I certainly am familiar with the principles of momentum and extra weight, especially when I ride home with a fully loaded backpack. However, that still doesn't explain why the UCI decided that the Merckx attempt was the point where the hour record should be split into two.

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
For The World said:
I certainly am familiar with the principles of momentum and extra weight, especially when I ride home with a fully loaded backpack. However, that still doesn't explain why the UCI decided that the Merckx attempt was the point where the hour record should be split into two.

because it's totally random, just like the UCI :p

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
For The World said:

Yes I do.

Funny. I recall reading somewhere that Merkcx bike weighted 5.5 kg. Today it's illegal to attempt the record on equal terms. What a paradox!

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Kaizersoze said:
Gearing, split times, cadence, bike weight, etc..........

http://www.wolfgang-menn.de/hourrec.htm
i recall reading that ekimov held 1hr record before moser…a quick google check puts his at 49.672 meters

that’s only few m below sosenka’s and more that 200 m over boardman’s uci record.

anyone got a clue as to why eki’s record does not figure in the books ? it was indoors and so was sosenka’s…

python said:
i recall reading that ekimov held 1hr record before moser…a quick google check puts his at 49.672 meters

that’s only few m below sosenka’s and more that 200 m over boardman’s uci record.

anyone got a clue as to why eki’s record does not figure in the books ? it was indoors and so was sosenka’s…

Not sure, but hour records have to be conducted under UCI supervision, full doping control etc.

There is a process to follow in terms of providing notice for an attempt (you need to apply several months in advance, name the date, time and location of attempt), organise and pay for officials, have approved timing system (yes, it's needed although the manual backup of three hand time keepers can be used), use an approved track that has been certified etc (I coach a rider who's set a masters category hour record).

Sometimes I think the paperwork is harder than the ride!

There are riders who have ridden further than given records, but not done with all the relevant requirements, and so are not recorded as an official record.

Mar 31, 2009
Visit site
Hour Attempt

Fabian wants to attempt the hour. The problem is timing. He peaks for the spring classics and the Tour. He is obviously stuffed after these main events, esp. the tour. Could he train specifically and try an attempt in the fall or maybe late April? Possibly. Would it hurt his team? Sure, to an extent. Also, attempts are a lot more expensive than one would think.

Wiggins? I think his time is past. By getting into road races, he's trimmed down for the mountains and has less speed. Sure, he is still fast. I'm sure he knows that Fabian is much faster. So, why try?

Bobridge? Great, great 4km man. Hoy is even faster for 1 km. Could either of them do an hour? No. Not every track cyclist can ride endurance distances.

I agree with the thoughts about Sosenska.

As to the reason for the Eddy record and divisions of record hour. First, there is the issue of testing. Many past riders have admitted to some extent of blood doping, steroids, and epo. Most people believe Eddy and Boardman raced clean during their whole career. The bike issue is greater. Companies do not invest lots of money into a bike that is not legal or sellable. This means there will not be any bike available that is as fast as Obree's or Boardman's Lotus. The positions are banned now as well.

As to Ekimov. It was an amateur record only. Ekimov's record is considered an aero bike, so it is not listed with the old record style. Ekimov says he did not knowingly take drugs. However, the Soviet Union had vitamin injections that Ekimov now believes contained illegal substances.

All records can be suspect, as amphetamines were widely used before Eddy's time. It is a cloud that clean riders must live under.

I believe Fabian can crack the 50 at sea level on the old bike, the only record worth attempting.

TRENDING THREADS