• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Wiggins knocked off bike, broken ribs suspected.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Parera said:
Yes because riding at night automatically makes it his fault.

No, far from it. It is just a little strange that a fulltime professional athlete would be out that late at this time of year.

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
The 32-year-old was struck on Crow Orchard Road in Wrightington, Lancashire, as a woman driving a white Vauxhall Astra van pulled out of a BP petrol station.

She was heard to say afterwards: “I can’t believe it. Of all the people to hit, bloody Bradley Wiggins.”

The rumours that it was Chris Froome;s girlfriend driving the van are yet to be substansiated.....

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
ultimobici said:
No, far from it. It is just a little strange that a fulltime professional athlete would be out that late at this time of year.

Sounds like he was meeting for a night time mountain bike run. Night rodes are quite common in north of England

ultimobici said:
Perhaps he's started cycling in the dark to avoid attention from fans...

Hope he'll have a speedy recovery, would be a shame if this crash somehow affects his season next year.

wilts rover said:
“I can’t believe it. Of all the people to hit, bloody Bradley Wiggins.”
Yeah, next time drive into someone else!

ultimobici said:
Depends on what country you're in. In Holland it's perfectly normal to ride your bike at night (but that's because over here it's used mostly for commuting rather than sports :p)

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm no fan, but as one cyclist to another, I hope he's not too badly injured.

Maybe this story can be used to draw attention to dangerous driving in the UK.

Ryo Hazuki said:
can someone explain to me why wiggins is riding his bike at 18:00 in early november? not that I'm complaining though

As people have already on here, perhaps he prefers riding in the dark so he can just get on with riding. Perhaps he was busy during the morning/afternoon yesterday so could only ride his bike last evening.

Riding during the evening is common in alot of countries.

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
When reading an article about this in the mainstream press (i.e. Yahoo UK), I was simply shocked at all the negative comments. Instead of wishing their TDF/Olympic champ a speedy recovery, it seems that most people are thinking along these lines:

...not all bike rider are as arrogant, but in my experience most are...most accidents involving bikes is the riders direct fault and stupidity.

The only certainty is that our roads are not fit for both cars and cycles.

most cyclists are a nuisance on the road

If cars and motorcycles need insurance to be on the road (and horses?) then bikes need insurance.

This is just round the corner from my gym - where I ride the static bikes because it is too dangerous to ride on the narrow local country roads.

Kind of depressing isn't it?

Cancellator said:
When reading an article about this in the mainstream press (i.e. Yahoo UK), I was simply shocked at all the negative comments. Instead of wishing their TDF/Olympic champ a speedy recovery, it seems that most people are thinking along these lines:

...not all bike rider are as arrogant, but in my experience most are...most accidents involving bikes is the riders direct fault and stupidity.

If cars and motorcycles need insurance to be on the road (and horses?) then bikes need insurance.

This is just round the corner from my gym - where I ride the static bikes because it is too dangerous to ride on the narrow local country roads.

It is, yes.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Pricey_sky said:
As people have already on here, perhaps he prefers riding in the dark so he can just get on with riding. Perhaps he was busy during the morning/afternoon yesterday so could only ride his bike last evening.

Riding during the evening is common in alot of countries.

why is he training on his bike in early november. seems a bit excessive

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Cancellator said:

well they are right. especially amateur bikeriders annoy the living **** out of me. sometimes with up to 15-20 guys riding 3 or 4 rows(even in small roads) blocking the entire road thinking they are pro's and often when you are honking they put up fingers or start shouting. one time I had such a small peloton blocking my car when I overtook them my friend opened the window to throw one of the front guys of his bike.

Ryo Hazuki said:
well they are right. especially amateur bikeriders annoy the living **** out of me. sometimes with up to 15-20 guys riding 3 or 4 rows(even in small roads) blocking the entire road thinking they are pro's and often when you are honking they put up fingers or start shouting. one time I had such a small peloton blocking my car when I overtook them my friend opened the window to throw one of the front guys of his bike.

BRTky.jpg