• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Wiggins Preparation

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Nick777 said:
"Speaking from Girona in Spain, where he is completing his final training before heading to Rotterdam"...
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/wiggins-ready-for-tour-de-france

That's good enough for me. Has anyone checked the fridge in his closet?

Paul Kimmage will check any fridges. He's going to be 'embedded' with Sky for the duration of the Tour.

(Sunday Times... Sky... Murdoch conspiracy... blah, blah, blah)

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Mambo95 said:
Paul Kimmage will check any fridges. He's going to be 'embedded' with Sky for the duration of the Tour.

(Sunday Times... Sky... Murdoch conspiracy... blah, blah, blah)

anxious to see how many GC hopefuls dont do well because they are afraid to dope/dope as much.

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Nick777 said:
"Speaking from Girona in Spain, where he is completing his final training before heading to Rotterdam"...

For what it's worth, I think he's clean. You have as much evidence that he dopes as I have. None. It is sad that the whole situation in cycling over the past few years has driven us to a state of paranoia about everyone. Wiggins weight loss is real, not overstated or just plain lied about like Lance's. Remember Boardman in the Dauphine in 95? He beat a doped Indurain in the time trial and then clung on to them up Mont Ventoux. I don't know of any sane person who would suggest Boardman is anything but clean.

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
samerics said:
For what it's worth, I think he's clean. You have as much evidence that he dopes as I have. None. It is sad that the whole situation in cycling over the past few years has driven us to a state of paranoia about everyone. Wiggins weight loss is real, not overstated or just plain lied about like Lance's. Remember Boardman in the Dauphine in 95? He beat a doped Indurain in the time trial and then clung on to them up Mont Ventoux. I don't know of any sane person who would suggest Boardman is anything but clean.

This statement works both ways, no evidence he does dope, no evidence he doesn't. Boardman the same.

Now that Wiggins improved is true. And his performances seem credible.

Boardman on the other hand I don't know enough about, but 56kph is a whooping great speed to ride at for an hour. Imagine if he was charged up!

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Fester said:
This statement works both ways, no evidence he does dope, no evidence he doesn't. Boardman the same.

Now that Wiggins improved is true. And his performances seem credible.

Boardman on the other hand I don't know enough about, but 56kph is a whooping great speed to ride at for an hour. Imagine if he was charged up!

Fair comment. I think everyone at the time believed in Boardman, and his 56km was achieved in the superman position, which was banned. I'll never forget his first year as pro, when he literally trounced everyne of the doping era in the prologue of the 94 Tour, catching Luc LeBlanc for two minutes. Amazing ride. I think he was clean as a whistle, and I've never heard anything to the contrary.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Nick777 said:

Girona??

Bradley has been living there for part of the season since his Garmin days - as it is still the European base for Garmin-Transitions.
I think most of the Garmin team still live there as indeed do some other riders like Deignan, Impey etc

A

Anonymous

Dr. Maserati said:
Girona??

Bradley has been living there for part of the season since his Garmin days - as it is still the European base for Garmin-Transitions.
I think most of the Garmin team still live there as indeed do some other riders like Deignan, Impey etc

As far as i know he has a house/apartment thing there. Its also where he and cath where prior to the giro

Apr 17, 2009
Visit site
I'd like to see some journalist have the guts to ask a tough question of Bradley.

Did you dope to come fourth in the Tour, yes or no?

Not mealy mouthed questions about suspicion blah blah. Brad's reluctance to talk about doping like he used to sucks.

His welcoming back of Armstrong doesn't sit right with me.

Cycling fans owe cyclists no respect, the cyclists of all people should understand that.

A

Anonymous

badboygolf16v said:
I'd like to see some journalist have the guts to ask a tough question of Bradley.

Not mealy mouthed questions about suspicion blah blah. Brad's reluctance to talk about doping like he used to sucks.

Cycling fans owe cyclists no respect, the cyclists of all people should understand that.
I think brad has answered that one a few times, but i cant be bothered to go back and find quotes.

Welcoming back armstrong. I think everyone did pretty much. Nobody has the courage to go to the war with the guy, brad had a few digs via twitter before he stopped using twitter so much. Although hes coming back on twitter for the tour apparently. ;)

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
I think brad has answered that one a few times, but i cant be bothered to go back and find quotes.

Welcoming back armstrong. I think everyone did pretty much. Nobody has the courage to go to the war with the guy, brad had a few digs via twitter before he stopped using twitter so much. Although hes coming back on twitter for the tour apparently. ;)

Why would he bother with creating a war with LA? It is just easier for him to once keep his trap shut.

badboygolf16v said:

Brad's best quotes were in the first week of the Giro in regards to Vinokourov. Went up in my books after that.

samerics said:
Fair comment. I think everyone at the time believed in Boardman, and his 56km was achieved in the superman position, which was banned. I'll never forget his first year as pro, when he literally trounced everyne of the doping era in the prologue of the 94 Tour, catching Luc LeBlanc for two minutes. Amazing ride. I think he was clean as a whistle, and I've never heard anything to the contrary.

The problem is; did he do that today it would take about 30 secs until there be a clinic thread going "Boardman just won a race, he must be doped". Personally I think cycling is way cleaner now than in 94-95. So if he beat those riders that way back then it signals one of either: (1) he was doped or (2) clean riders can beat doped ones.

The thread seems to be based on "Wiggins trains in a country where he lives so he must be doped".

I'm happy to believe Boardman was clean, don't know much about him. I have a problem with the "everyone dopes all the time" line...

May 20, 2010
Visit site
re: Boardman

He and Obree were physical equals. Their difference were, equipment, mentality and training. Obree was dirt poor. Kinda still is. Boardman struggles to really improve on Obree with superior everything. Enough to make me believe he was clean in respect of his TT and HR ability.

SpartacusRox

BANNED
May 6, 2010
Visit site
badboygolf16v said:

So go watch the soccer and boycott the TdF, that way you will be able to feel that you are taking a stand.

Wiggins doesn't need to answer any such questions, he would, i hope treat them with the contempt that they deserve.

Boardman retired because he had osteoporosis and couldn't get a medical exemption from the UCI for testosterone therapy. Hardly the behaviour of a doper.

This is really recent cycling history, surprised no one mention it.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
hulkgogan said:
Boardman retired because he had osteoporosis and couldn't get a medical exemption from the UCI for testosterone therapy. Hardly the behaviour of a doper.

This is really recent cycling history, surprised no one mention it.

IMO Boardman was clean, absolutely. Wiggins has criticsed the doping in the pro game and is not going to want to sound like a stuck record as i am sure he does not to remembered as the cyclist who kept on about doping.

I am sure Kimmage will grill teamsky, as there are members with a history that's not snow white.

As a by the by, Kimmage is not bothered as to whether the team is owned by his employer or not. The guy has been winning awards for his writing the last 5 years and longer. He could get a job in any big paper at any time.

Apr 17, 2009
Visit site
SpartacusRox said:
So go watch the soccer and boycott the TdF, that way you will be able to feel that you are taking a stand.

Like me boycotting the TdF can make a difference anyway. Well, when I watched the Giro last year I just switched off. I stopped watching the Tour religiously a long time ago.

All the BS, the lying, the cheating, the dissembling that extends throughout cycling makes me think: why bother?

Then someone like Brad comes along, and for years is very vocal about the problems, someone who makes you think, yeah things might change if people like that talk about it bravely. (Because for sure nothing will happen if everyone shuts up again.) And then gradually, he stops talking about doping and starts playing the game. That's disappointed me.

Brad's not stupid, if he's reading what I'm saying I'm sure he wont treat it with contempt, he'll know where I'm coming from. He's a pro cyclist, who has stated in the past he hated doping. I'm sure he knows the score, as much as he says he doesn't in his recent interviews.

And I'll watch what I want when I want, thanks.

TRENDING THREADS