• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Wiggins to Sky

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A

Anonymous

tturns161.jpg

from velocity..

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
aleksic said:
Sky did not drag football into the 21st century. The gentrification of the game started during Italia 90. It's also a moot point that the game is better now. Many fans preferred it as it was.

Sky had nothing to do with the improvement in stadia, that was down to the Taylor report after Hillsborough. A lot of the funding from the stadia came from the government.

Actually the government provided a sum between 100 and 200 million for stadia improvement. Whilst this may sound like a large amount of money it's a drop in the ocean of what was actually spent. No club recieved more than 2million each, this does not pay for a new stadium. It would not pay for a new stand in a small club!
Where do you think the rest of the money came from? Ticket receipts? Sponsorship? The coming of sky meant increased gate income, sponsors were willing to pay vast sums (AIG, samsung etc) because of the saturation coverage and thats not including the vast sum that sky pays for the tv rights.

Anyway, if sky ruined wendyball then I could not care less it's a silly game really. Back to cycling if they start having exclusive coverage then I fail to see the point of sponsoring a team in a sport that only your current existing customers can watch. It will be interesting certainly.

A

Anonymous

oh theres no point in sky showing the tours or anything.. they are getting publicity on itv and eurosport through the team

would like them to pick up some classics though.. eurosport the lasst few years has been awful giving us an hour or so sandwiched between motogp and tennis (and hten you have to record for five hours either side if you are out cos its never on schedule)

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
oh theres no point in sky showing the tours or anything.. they are getting publicity on itv and eurosport through the team

would like them to pick up some classics though.. eurosport the lasst few years has been awful giving us an hour or so sandwiched between motogp and tennis (and hten you have to record for five hours either side if you are out cos its never on schedule)

At least you get coverage!!!! We get a 1 hour race highlight package about 5 weeks after the actual event on a Sunday morning.

A

Anonymous

auscyclefan94 said:
At least you get coverage!!!! We get a 1 hour race highlight package about 5 weeks after the actual event on a Sunday morning.

well if you stop whining, change your bloody avatar, and stop being a pain then someone might record the odd race for you.. im sure i could manage GW, flanders, and roubaix on a dvd

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
well if you stop whining, change your bloody avatar, and stop being a pain then someone might record the odd race for you.. im sure i could manage GW, flanders, and roubaix on a dvd
Whinghing? Look in the mirror!!!:eek:;)
I guess it's natural for Poms to whinge, it's apart of the tradition:D. Can I change my Avatar to another WC pic. There are lots of them!!!!!!!
You don' have to worry about recording them. I stay up till 2am watching those races on the computer. Lombardia I was up at 3am!!!!

The funny thing is the first ever time the telecasted Paris Roubaix live an Aussie won, Stuart o'grady. The worlds this year were 1/2 an hour late because of the stupid F1 has a talk back show that went over by half an hour and then later that night Evans wins the worlds and they actually showed it live.

Tell me how I am a pain in the Back?:cool: