• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Wiggins to Sky

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
he was joking.. And he said he already had sky cos the kids like the kids channels but he was considering switching...

People round here really have had soh-bypasses

i got this and i really thought he was funny!!! Loved it but....

dimspace said:
it is interesting, that the ones who get all the flack for what they say, what they tweet, what they do, are the english speakers..

who knows what kinda crap LL sanchez, or oscar sevilla have come up with the spanish press, or what basso has had to say about people in italy.. we dont hear about it, or it gets translated so vaguely that we pay no attention..

the english speaking riders do have much more trouble with their words being over analysed and taken out of context, or blown up out of all proportion (especially by people for who english is not their first language)...

if brad was from kazahkstan or something, nobody would give him any grief over all this, or he would certainly get a lot less..

not racism or owt, just teh fact that the english speaking riders do get more press..

this role garmin played in his rise though..? i really do think that is exaggerated... most of the work done, on brads weight, brads temperament etc was done by the guys at BC.. not garmin..

Why is everyone always picking on the anglophones?!?!?! Wahhhhhh!!!!!!

Seriously dim, that's about the weakest argument you've ever made in these parts. Weakest and most desperate.

If the anglophones don't want to get crap for what they say, then stop saying stupid ***. Or stop being tossers. It really is that simple.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Great White said:
Taking it all a bit too seriously, aren't we? We don't want cyclists to be like robots never saying anything about anything for fear of getting branded a "***"? What a boring world that would be. That's not to say you have to like everything he says, but to turn on him for such a shallow reason is over the top.

Perhaps.... But my issue is that he has been with a new team every year since turning pro. Fair enough, he was looking for a good fit. So when he finds it and has the trust of his DS and his teammates and mates ( he talked about how well he got along with other team members on a personal level) then he jumps ship because he feels he has a better chance or more of a focus with sky that equals *** to me. When you have a professional and personal relationship with a group of people I think you owe it to them to stick it out, after all they stuck by you. I often try to look at the cyclist and not the person but I have a hard time getting behind some one if they do stuff like this.

I like his individuality his humor and his riding but it is pretty obvious that he did hurt some feeling and after all were are all about passion. Robots? no quite the opposite I expect him to be more human.

A

Anonymous

St. Elia said:
Perhaps.... But my issue is that he has been with a new team every year since turning pro. Fair enough, he was looking for a good fit. So when he finds it and has the trust of his DS and his teammates and mates ( he talked about how well he got along with other team members on a personal level) then he jumps ship because he feels he has a better chance or more of a focus with sky that equals *** to me. When you have a professional and personal relationship with a group of people I think you owe it to them to stick it out, after all they stuck by you. I often try to look at the cyclist and not the person but I have a hard time getting behind some one if they do stuff like this.

I like his individuality his humor and his riding but it is pretty obvious that he did hurt some feeling and after all were are all about passion. Robots? no quite the opposite I expect him to be more human.

No matter how reasonable Great White is pretending to be, he is the bane of our existence. He has used several different screen names, BanProCycling, The Arbiter, British Pro Cycling, and many others. My advice is to put him on ignore. He is merely biding his time. Most people are not responding to him now, and my hope is that nobody will post a response to anything he writes. His only purpose here is to troll. I ask you to consider using your ignore feature on him.

A

Anonymous

St. Elia said:

Well it is Britain's first national pro team, and he has been working with these people in British cycling for far longer than any other team, so if you like he owes them more loyalty than he does to Garmin.

Jonathon Vaugthers seems to understand this...
http://velonews.competitor.com/2009...t-quite-as-noble-as-he-could-have-been_101866

PS. Ignore the off-topic trolls.

dimspace said:
it is interesting, that the ones who get all the flack for what they say, what they tweet, what they do, are the english speakers..

who knows what kinda crap LL sanchez, or oscar sevilla have come up with the spanish press, or what basso has had to say about people in italy.. we dont hear about it, or it gets translated so vaguely that we pay no attention..

the english speaking riders do have much more trouble with their words being over analysed and taken out of context, or blown up out of all proportion (especially by people for who english is not their first language)...

if brad was from kazahkstan or something, nobody would give him any grief over all this, or he would certainly get a lot less..

not racism or owt, just teh fact that the english speaking riders do get more press..

this role garmin played in his rise though..? i really do think that is exaggerated... most of the work done, on brads weight, brads temperament etc was done by the guys at BC.. not garmin..
why do you write like this...it is sort of annoying...that every sentence...ends like this...it doesn't make sense..........................

We, or atleast those of us who doesn't only read articles that includes the name of Mark Cavendish, Bradley Wiggins or Armstrong, hear about what the other riders have to say as well. It's just that english/american riders much more often acts like 14 year old girls with their silly comments and childish tweets.

Follow Andy Schleck on twitter and compare it to bradley/armstrong, while andy only writes stuff like "going out with some friends fun times" armstrong/bradley are being drama queens all the time.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Great White is an attention seeker. if you don't feed the bait to the shark, the shark will go away as there is no bait to feed on so then it will have to go hunting again for another food source which means another forum

A

Anonymous

Publicus said:
Why is everyone always picking on the anglophones?!?!?! Wahhhhhh!!!!!!

Seriously dim, that's about the weakest argument you've ever made in these parts. Weakest and most desperate.

If the anglophones don't want to get crap for what they say, then stop saying stupid ***. Or stop being tossers. It really is that simple.

not just talking anglophones.. talking americans, australians everyone.. anyone who is english speaking and says anything in the press we because we also speak english analyse it, read too much into it, discuss it etc.. a spaniard could pop up in the spanish press and say all sorts of rubbish and we would be none the wiser.. (edit: of german, italian, croatian, finlandia, all sorts of people) just saying.. i think lance, brad, cav, cadel and just about every other english speaking rider do have a disadvantage against the rest in that everything they say is analysed 450 times over..

maltiv said:
why do you write like this...it is sort of annoying...that every sentence...ends like this...it doesn't make sense..........................

i wouldnt worry, i also dont use capitals, and have to spellcheck my posts about six times before they are correct, my grammar is appaling at the moment, and i get completely the turtle words when i mean to say rabbit by mistake.. a few dots at the end of my sentances are the least of my gramatical problems at the moment... you wouldnt beleive i had an iq of 142..

if its any consolation i find your need to bring it up equally annoying.. this is a cycling forum.. not an english test ;)

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
not just talking anglophones.. talking americans, australians everyone.. anyone who is english speaking and says anything in the press we because we also speak english analyse it, read too much into it, discuss it etc.. a spaniard could pop up in the spanish press and say all sorts of rubbish and we would be none the wiser.. just saying.. i think lance, brad, cav, cadel and just about every other english speaking rider do have a disadvantage against the rest in that everything they say is analysed 450 times over..

i wouldnt worry, i also dont use capitals, and have to spellcheck my posts about six times before they are correct, my grammar is appaling at the moment, and i get completely the turtle words when i mean to say rabbit by mistake.. a few dots at the end of my sentances are the least of my gramatical problems at the moment... you wouldnt beleive i had an iq of 142..

if its any consolation i find your need to bring it up equally annoying.. this is a cycling forum.. not an english test ;)

+1

When a spaniard like Contador says something we make the excuse that he doesn't speak english fluently so we won't read much into it

Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
To say Sky have been good for football in the UK is debatable. Many fans don't like the way they've moved kick off times, focused on just four teams, continually self hype and act as if football did not exist before 1992 (when they started broadcasting it)

Cycling needs to be careful how it handles this new bedfellow, otherwise soon you may have a whole host of fans that only talk of achievements made since Team Sky was formed. It will be as if merckx never existed. If they ever do any coverage eventually they will just focus on four teams of their choice and you won't hear about anyone else.

A

Anonymous

aleksic said:
To say Sky have been good for football in the UK is debatable. Many fans don't like the way they've moved kick off times, focused on just four teams, continually self hype and act as if football did not exist before 1992 (when they started broadcasting it)

Cycling needs to be careful how it handles this new bedfellow, otherwise soon you may have a whole host of fans that only talk of achievements made since Team Sky was formed. It will be as if merckx never existed. If they ever do any coverage eventually they will just focus on four teams of their choice and you won't hear about anyone else.

if not for sky there would not be 92 professional league clubs. the money put in that has filtered down to the lower leagues is huge.. the way they have developed coverage, the technical side is massive.. ok, so odwnsides, moving fixture times etc, but there are 45,000 people each fortnight get to see liverpool play at home, there are 4 million get to watch them on tv.. sky clearly wont have the same influence on cycling, was more my point that sky arent all bad.. many sports have been massive benificiaries of their money. i dont think they will change the media side much..theyve sponsored the track team for ages, and on the whole the track cycling is still covered by the bbc.. sky could have moved in and taken iniative with the revolution series but didnt.. itv4 still has the tour series, tour of britain etc.. i cant see that changing in the short term..

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
aleksic said:

Thats manure utd fans with their "you have never won the premiership" crap. Its just the first division renamed:rolleyes:
Sky has its drawbacks yes (ticket prices, k.o times, player wages etc) but they have dragged football into the 21st century and their money was badly needed. Before they came along the english league was a poor relation to serie A and most teams were playing in stadiums that were frankly a disgrace.
Who knows what effect they will have on cycling but the fact they are willing to put their money where their mouth is should be applauded IMHO.
Where are the other more ethical alternatives?
Sponsors do not put money up out of the goodness of their hearts they all expect a return on their investment, this applies to all sponsors not just sky.

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
are you sure about this? have you ever lived in germany or Belgium? the german press used to run front page stories on Ullrich taking his kids to a drive through mcdonalds. They would then interview the attendent to see what he ordered. Belgium is far worse. forums, newspapers would agonise over every world from bonnens mouth. much worse than these boards, far worse. these board is tame compared to those in Europe.

dimspace said:
not just talking anglophones.. talking americans, australians everyone.. anyone who is english speaking and says anything in the press we because we also speak english analyse it, read too much into it, discuss it etc.. a spaniard could pop up in the spanish press and say all sorts of rubbish and we would be none the wiser.. (edit: of german, italian, croatian, finlandia, all sorts of people) just saying.. i think lance, brad, cav, cadel and just about every other english speaking rider do have a disadvantage against the rest in that everything they say is analysed 450 times over..

hope_rides_again said:
are you sure about this? have you ever lived in germany or Belgium? the german press used to run front page stories on Ullrich taking his kids to a drive through mcdonalds. They would then interview the attendent to see what he ordered. Belgium is far worse. forums, newspapers would agonise over every world from bonnens mouth. much worse than these boards, far worse. these board is tame compared to those in Europe.

very true, their forums are just as obsessed

A

Anonymous

auscyclefan94 said:
Great White is an attention seeker. if you don't feed the bait to the shark, the shark will go away as there is no bait to feed on so then it will have to go hunting again for another food source which means another forum

+1

He has changed tactics a bit and started to sound a bit more reasonable. The only reason for this is to lure people in. He is a unrepentant troll who continues to defeat bans with new IP addresses. They cannot make him go away. The only way to accomplish this is to cut off his food supply. Please don't feed the shark or troll as the case may be.

A

Anonymous

lucybears said:
or you could do some work youself and enrole in them

i really dont need anymore things on my to-do list.. its too long as it is.. :D in ever realised redundancy was so hectic..

A

Anonymous

maltiv said:
Well, congratulations to Wiggins for atleast being the most overpaid rider!

well he has spent most of his career earning peanuts... you dont get much for track world championships and olympic medals you know..

hes earnt nothing up to now, now hes got 4 years to make some money before his career is over.. there are average footballers earning that much over a career..

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
+1

He has changed tactics a bit and started to sound a bit more reasonable. The only reason for this is to lure people in. He is a unrepentant troll who continues to defeat bans with new IP addresses. They cannot make him go away. The only way to accomplish this is to cut off his food supply. Please don't feed the shark or troll as the case may be.

I used the shark metaphor as his usernae is Great White;)

Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
lanternrouge said:
... but they have dragged football into the 21st century and their money was badly needed. Before they came along the english league was a poor relation to serie A and most teams were playing in stadiums that were frankly a disgrace.

Sky did not drag football into the 21st century. The gentrification of the game started during Italia 90. It's also a moot point that the game is better now. Many fans preferred it as it was.

Sky had nothing to do with the improvement in stadia, that was down to the Taylor report after Hillsborough. A lot of the funding from the stadia came from the government.

It is foolish to assume that cycling will not suffer the treatment from Sky. I'm not saying it will, but don't rule it out.