• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Wiggins to Sky

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Later today it is to be announced that Brad Wiggins will sign with the Biritsh Team Sky at thier press conference. Vaughters has confirmed that Wiggo has wanted to go to Sky.

Firstly this transfer asks many questions;

Can Sky support Wiggo?
Where does this leave Lovkist?
If Garmin is Wigan then what does that make Sky?
Does the Wiggins transfer open the tour leadership spot to Vandevelde or Farrar?

Mar 30, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Later today it is to be announced that Brad Wiggins will sign with the Biritsh Team Sky at thier press conference. Vaughters has confirmed that Wiggo has wanted to go to Sky.

Can Sky support Wiggo?
Does the Wiggins transfer open the tour leadership spot to Vandevelde or Farrar?

1. I think they are lacking real top draw help for Wiggins in the form of a climber but its not the worst team in the world.
2. I would guess that Lovkvist will be team leader at the Giro or Vuelta. Although if he performs better than Wiggins at the tour then I believe Wiggins would be willing to work for him.
3. I would say Sky are Man City?
4. I think Garmin are best going with Farrar and guys in breakaways.

A

Anonymous

auscyclefan94 said:

Can Sky support Wiggo?

You're not "Hogging" us are you?

May 8, 2009
Visit site
I am a fan of Wiggins, but his premature exit from Garmin is lame in my view. He should honor the contract he signed with Garmin. I hope the buyout amount (assuming there was one) was really high.

A

Anonymous

Dr. Maserati said:
Ha - I was wondering what you meant for a second there too!

While not offical - it is doing the rounds.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/more_sport/cycling/article6951010.ece

thats where the report popped up from apparently.. will fotheringham confirmed a press conference but said the sky would not be drawn on wether brad wiggins would be revealed as a new signing.. for once the telegraph seem to be holding back..

its interesting that all summer brad has said very little and he finally came out a couple of days ago and said he was staying at garmin.. then all of a sudden this...

i will beleive it tommoro.. guess its turn sky news on at 9am and see what happens..

A

Anonymous

i think we should all pay attention to this bit..

Last night, as has been the case for several weeks, Sky insiders refused to comment on Wiggins in detail, but confirmed that “a significant announcement” will be made this morning by David Brailsford, the team principal.

significant could mean anything.. they could be announcing the two extra sponsors.. the kit manufacturer, or the fact that they are doing another press conference on the 4th january..

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
i think we should all pay attention to this bit..

Last night, as has been the case for several weeks, Sky insiders refused to comment on Wiggins in detail, but confirmed that “a significant announcement” will be made this morning by David Brailsford, the team principal.

significant could mean anything.. they could be announcing the two extra sponsors.. the kit manufacturer, or the fact that they are doing another press conference on the 4th january..

Yes but vaughters said that wiggo had expressed interest in wanting to go to Sky.

A

Anonymous

could be.. who knows.. there have been a lot of big announcements with sky that have turned out to be dissapointing,..

remember the big rider announcement that turned out to be six brits.. etc etc..

the official launch is on january 4th and between now and then they still have to announce, two sponsors, the kit suppliers, ben swifts signing, or not signing..

tommoros "big" news conference could be the signing of wiggins, but it could just as easily be one of the other things, or something completely uninteresting... the wiggins rumours are becoming a bit too much like the boy who cried wolf..

auscyclefan94 said:
Yes but vaughters said that wiggo had expressed interest in wanting to go to Sky.

but that was a month ago, a few weeks before that he was denying everything, a few days after that sky where saying they wanted him, then brad was saying he was staying at garmin.. theres been so many bloody stories who knows what to beleive anymore..

the only suspicion i have is that two days ago brad changed his twitter picture from one of him in a garmin shirt to one in casual gear..

my gut says hes signed.. but im not convinced till i see it.. is brad worthy of an entire press conference..????? other riders didnt get one..

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Don't we have a thread or two on this already? Anyway, I'll repeat my comments from another 'Wiggins to Sky' thread. Funny guy, good rider, great work in the '09 tour, but he went about this badly. I'll call him "One year Bradley". Not sure if I'm referring to his Tour success or his average commitment to a team. Just go already and good luck in the future. Hey Dimspace, ya think the Telegraph will get a Pulitzer for this scoop?

A

Anonymous

update..

Team Sky invited journalists to a press conference in London at 11am tomorrow to provide a “team update” as well as a “key photo opportunity” with Team Principal Dave Brailsford.

a couple of places are saying why london and not manchester.. ooh its london.. must be brad.. i didnt think he lived there.. :?

pedaling squares said:
Don't we have a thread or two on this already? Anyway, I'll repeat my comments from another 'Wiggins to Sky' thread. Funny guy, good rider, great work in the '09 tour, but he went about this badly. I'll call him "One year Bradley". Not sure if I'm referring to his Tour success or his average commitment to a team. Just go already and good luck in the future. Hey Dimspace, ya think the Telegraph will get a Pulitzer for this scoop?

well the telegraph after setting the rumourmill going all year seem to have dropped the ball on this one.. everyone else is reporting that brads signed.. telegraph where busy reporting on the olympic track events with the sky news conference getting two lines at the bottom..

be ironic that they have started every rumour all year and where last to report on it actually happening.. :D

pedaling squares said:

I have a feeling Bradley Wiggins' TdF success will mirror that of Vanilla Ice on the music scene.

Mar 3, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:

It certainly could mean anything, but in this instance, it only means one thing.

Cheers
Greg Johnson

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
could be.. who knows.. there have been a lot of big announcements with sky that have turned out to be dissapointing,..

remember the big rider announcement that turned out to be six brits.. etc etc..

the official launch is on january 4th and between now and then they still have to announce, two sponsors, the kit suppliers, ben swifts signing, or not signing..

tommoros "big" news conference could be the signing of wiggins, but it could just as easily be one of the other things, or something completely uninteresting... the wiggins rumours are becoming a bit too much like the boy who cried wolf..

but that was a month ago, a few weeks before that he was denying everything, a few days after that sky where saying they wanted him, then brad was saying he was staying at garmin.. theres been so many bloody stories who knows what to beleive anymore..

the only suspicion i have is that two days ago brad changed his twitter picture from one of him in a garmin shirt to one in casual gear..

my gut says hes signed.. but im not convinced till i see it.. is brad worthy of an entire press conference..????? other riders didnt get one..

i think if wiggo goes to sky, that will gurantee their tour spot. Originally i put BMC ahead of Sky for the tour spot as BMC had a main goal for the tour but with the Sky lineup, they have a lot more big name riders and wiggo performed really well at the tour this year and evans had an off year at the tour. I hope I'm wrong though.

Dim, are you happy with him going to Sky as I would of thought that Sky was more of a Wigan and Garmin was the Man Utd?

A

Anonymous

auscyclefan94 said:
Dim, are you happy with him going to Sky as I would of thought that Sky was more of a Wigan and Garmin was the Man Utd?

originally i thought so, and was hoping he would go there, but as the rest of the squad has assembled ive thought less so.. now, looking at the rest of the riders they have, im not sure how much he offers.. i would like to see lofkvist get his shot at the tour..

then again, if they have the tour and the giro to look at, lofkvist cant do it all alone, so having potentially two gc guys makes some sort of sense.. TL is a couple of years away from making a genuine challenge, Brad will get them attention..

im not sure they need him, but certainly with the british press it gives the team more credibility..

Greg Johnson said:
It certainly could mean anything, but in this instance, it only means one thing.

Cheers
Greg Johnson

it always concerns me when greg says cheers.. i have to check my wallet to make sure ive not bought a round of drinks by mistake..

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Woaw, I had put that baby to bed. Wrong. Sky after all then.

Anyone know what brought this change of heart on (apart from money)? Was it becoming clear that they would have a guy on the team who really wanted to be somewhere else. Or did Garmin decide to simplify their TdF approach by letting Wiggins go?

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
I can't figure out why it's so cold outside when it's only the 5th of September. And the leaves came off the trees way early this fall. Strange weather this year.

Astana1 said:
Sucks for Garmin. I hope Sky had to pay them a boatload.

+1. Hope CVV has a good TdF next year. I suppose Garmin is where AC will go if somebody on Astana tests poz and he gets to exercise any of those "outs" in his contract?

Now where's The Hog to come and say "told you so"?

WTF does a contract mean anymore?

Hope Sky paid big and they don't get into the TdF next year. I'm remembering a quote from Jean-Marie Leblanc...something about not inviting teams created by a checkbook (either Team Mercury or Coast). I hope that Christian Prudhomme does the same thing.

TRENDING THREADS