• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Will ___ ever win a Grand Tour?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Will ____ ever win a grand tour?

• Kreuziger

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Angliru said:
It's not any type of bias that I can see. He simply hasn't risen his game the way someone like Nibali has. They were both considered the up and coming grand tour riders back in 2009 but while Nibali has podiumed, battled for victories in grand tours and actually won one, Kreuziger has struggled to even match his earlier success in the major week-long stage races let alone in the grand tours where he seems to be spinning his wheels.
Yes, he for sure got a bit worse in time trials...I wonder why? Maybe he's unpopular because of his controversial media talks. In grand tours he made it to top five in Giro, that I'd call progress, or not? Last year he had a bad day, but then the victorious stage was epic. In shorter stage races...well...that's true. It's one of his goals for this year. Another is Tour de France, where he'll be domestique for Alberto. But preparation for P - N isn't going very well.
And due to his style of racing of course, but last year he was getting better.

Kokoso said:
Yes, he for sure got a bit worse in time trials...I wonder why? Maybe he's unpopular because of his controversial media talks. In grand tours he made it to top five in Giro, that I'd call progress, or not? Last year he had a bad day, but then the victorious stage was epic. In shorter stage races...well...that's true. It's one of his goals for this year. Another is Tour de France, where he'll be domestique for Alberto. But preparation for P - N isn't going very well.
And due to his style of racing of course, but last year he was getting better.

I'd forgotten about his Giro performance. I'd say with that he's headed in the right direction. For me part of my inability or lack of willingness to root for him was an interview he gave to one of the magazines where he plainly stated that he didn't think Nibali would ever win a grand tour while at the same time building himself up as a future grand tour success. This was I believe the final season that he and Nibali were both on Liquigas. His reasoning was that he didn't believe Nibali had the engine to win a grand tour.

Kokoso said:
Kreuziger 3 votes, that's more than I'd expect, considering he's Czech (so he doesn't have many fans here who would be interested) and that due to that he's partly unpopular (don't know why). Only time will say.

Kreuziger has won very little, and he's not a particularly exciting rider. If either of those factors was different, his popularity wouldn't be tied to his passport.

cineteq said:
Isn't Pereiro a TdF winner?
_41921768_podium416.jpg

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
serfla said:
Froome and Rodriguez certainly.
Froome, maybe, already this year. Rodriguez, probably, a Vuelta when he realizes the Tour is too difficult and refocuses back on the home tour.
And Andy, off course. But, at the moment, I can't say for sure.

at 33, purito is no certainty. I find it unlikely to be honest.

Froome is the only obvious choice.

serfla

BANNED
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
at 33, purito is no certainty. I find it unlikely to be honest.

Froome is the only obvious choice.
Yes. A couple of posts later I've mentioned I've forgotten about Purito's age.
This year's Vuelta is great opportunity for him, but he wants to take a shot at the Tour... Maybe he saves something for Spain, or chain of events forces him to shift the goal.
As someone has already mentioned, he probably has two more seasons to take a GT and that's it. If he's been several years younger, it would be certain. This way it's only a chance.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
This time last year no-one would've picked Rodriguez to win a GT. He always had a bad day on a long climb. Wouldn't rule him out this year.

Dazed and Confused said:
Frank winning Vuelta?
Its possible, but consider Froome winning the Tour and we may have a repeat lineup at the Vuelta: J-Rod vs Valverde vs Contador.

Good luck Frank.

Afrank said:
I know it would be the Vuelta, I meant would Frank really have a chance of winning it even with no racing miles in the legs.

Those are the two things to consider: Frank might not have the best form from the get go, but the toughest potential competition would have been at the Tour. And of those three, only Valverde might go for a stage win and save his best.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Angliru said:
I'd forgotten about his Giro performance. I'd say with that he's headed in the right direction. For me part of my inability or lack of willingness to root for him was an interview he gave to one of the magazines where he plainly stated that he didn't think Nibali would ever win a grand tour while at the same time building himself up as a future grand tour success. This was I believe the final season that he and Nibali were both on Liquigas. His reasoning was that he didn't believe Nibali had the engine to win a grand tour.
Wow...did he say that? That wasn't nice. I don't know if those were exactly his words, but whatever...even if so, he was young and when we are young (even we are old) we are saying lot of BS here and there. And maybe he felt like he plays second fiddles in Liquigas because of management prefered Italians Basso and Nibali.
2011 season he was in new team and than he was fifth in the Giro, than he had fracture in the beginning of TdF with which he even finished the Tour (I'd give him credit for that) and because of it the season ended. 2012 season he had some very good results, but Giro was dissapointment except for the stage win. And than the season was over because of Astanas' **** "management". In the Olympics he rode very good and maybe helped Vino little bit to win. Doing only half season, finished in WT ranking 20th, except for the Giro he has had always very stable results. And I think he might be overloaded in 2012 spring, doing lots of races in short time as a leader (cause there wasn't another one able to do something), i don't see another leader with such full programme. In the Romandie he was one of very few who actually tried something against Sky train.

Kokoso said:
Wow...did he say that? That wasn't nice. I don't know if those were exactly his words, but whatever...even if so, he was young and when we are young (even we are old) we are saying lot of BS here and there. And maybe he felt like he plays second fiddles in Liquigas because of management prefered Italians Basso and Nibali.

In 2009 Nibbles and Kreuziger went to the Tour as co-leaders and none of them was asked to work for the other.
And in 2010 he was the sole leader.

I don't remember him playing second fiddle in many races honestly. He just didn't deliver results, while Basso and Nibali did.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
SafeBet said:
In 2009 Nibbles and Kreuziger went to the Tour as co-leaders and none of them was asked to work for the other.
And in 2010 he was the sole leader.

I don't remember him playing second fiddle in many races honestly. He just didn't deliver results, while Basso and Nibali did.

Don't forget Kreuziger used to ride 2 consecutive GT's per season. I think that has burned him out quite bad. He was actually progressing until 2009, improving every time he finished a GT, but then he suddenly had to ride the Vuelta after he'd done the Tour. He could've never recovered from that as a 23-year-old.

Nibali was handled with much more care, but I think both Kreuziger and Nibali were at their best in the 2009 Tour. Even in 2012 Nibali didn't have the level he had then imo.

Pentacycle said:
Don't forget Kreuziger used to ride 2 consecutive GT's per season. I think that has burned him out quite bad. He was actually progressing until 2009, improving every time he finished a GT, but then he suddenly had to ride the Vuelta after he'd done the Tour. He could've never recovered from that as a 23-year-old.

He still was nothing to write home about in those two Tours, which were his main goal for both seasons.

Recover was not a factor in those performances. He's simply not a top GT contender.

TRENDING THREADS