• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Will ___ ever win a Grand Tour?

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Will ____ ever win a grand tour?

• Kreuziger

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
May 28, 2012
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
agree about Kreuziger, placement rider at GTs. Better to work for others or focus on something else.

Imo he could've won the 2010 Vuelta, if he'd prepared for it by not riding the Tour. If Velits can podium, almost anybody with a top-15 in the Tour can win in such a field. Sadly it's Nibali only big win... It's also the only GT where he really contended ftw.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
SafeBet said:
He still was nothing to write home about in those two Tours, which were his main goal for both seasons.

Recover was not a factor in those performances. He's simply not a top GT contender.
Yeah, season 2010 was bad, Tour was his main goal and he was ill the week Tour started and had some stomach issues in the course also, I wouldn't forget that. Until 2010 Kreuz delivered better results than Nibali. In 2009 he had two main goals: to win Romandie (what he did) and to be in the top ten TdF (what he did).

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
SafeBet said:
He still was nothing to write home about in those two Tours, which were his main goal for both seasons.

Recover was not a factor in those performances. He's simply not a top GT contender.
Btw. who is GT contender according to you?

Pentacycle said:
Imo he could've won the 2010 Vuelta, if he'd prepared for it by not riding the Tour. If Velits can podium, almost anybody with a top-15 in the Tour can win in such a field. Sadly it's Nibali only big win... It's also the only GT where he really contended ftw.

What makes you think Kreuz can beat Nibbles in a GT? When has that happened?

Kokoso said:
Yeah, season 2010 was bad, Tour was his main goal and he was ill the week Tour started and had some stomach issues in the course also, I wouldn't forget that. Until 2010 Kreuz delivered better results than Nibali. In 2009 he had two main goals: to win Romandie (what he did) and to be in the top ten TdF (what he did).

Nibbles was 7 minutes better than Kreuz in the Tour 2009. 7 minutes is no small thing.

Honestly, Roman is not a bad rider. But cycling is about results. He's entered many GTs as a leader, and he's never even been on a podium. This can't be all bad luck or lack of opportunities or not being in the right team.

Kokoso said:
Nibali knows how to limit his losses on any given day. I think what we saw in the Giro 2011 is typical Kreuziger: with the best in the beginning, and then in the final stages Kruijswijk almost stole the white jersey from him.

That would make Kreuziger the ideal one week rider, but his TT isn't that great either. He's very good at uphill TTs though. This year's Paris-Nice would be perfect for him, will he ride?

Pentacycle said:

perhaps he could (Kreuziger), but do you really want to continue to enter GT's as semi captain, ride invisible, get placement after placement and perhaps strike lucky in the Vuelta after 9 attempts? I think he can do better in other races or go after specific stage wins (and see if that elevates him in a GC). Nibali probably divides the waters these days (GT wise). The jury is perhaps still out. Meanwhile he seems to target lots of different races.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
SafeBet said:
What makes you think Kreuz can beat Nibbles in a GT? When has that happened?

That wasn't what I meant. Kreuziger wouldn't necessarily have beaten Nibali, but he is certainly a better GT rider than Velits.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
SafeBet said:
Nibbles was 7 minutes better than Kreuz in the Tour 2009. 7 minutes is no small thing.

Honestly, Roman is not a bad rider. But cycling is about results. He's entered many GTs as a leader, and he's never even been on a podium. This can't be all bad luck or lack of opportunities or not being in the right team.
He peaked to early in 2009 I think. He entered 4 or grand tours as a leader, true, I don't think that it's so much considering the age at which he did so. He's 26 years old. He rode as a co - captain very early, not everybody can podium Tour at age of 23 - 25 today.
And it can be just bad luck, totally, why not?

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Nibali knows how to limit his losses on any given day. I think what we saw in the Giro 2011 is typical Kreuziger: with the best in the beginning, and then in the final stages Kruijswijk almost stole the white jersey from him.

That would make Kreuziger the ideal one week rider, but his TT isn't that great either. He's very good at uphill TTs though. This year's Paris-Nice would be perfect for him, will he ride?
I can't see why it's typicall? E.g. Tour 2009 20th Mt.Ventoux stage which was his best there probably. Kruijswijk in Giro, last stages? You mean those 30 seconds what he gained on Kreuz in stage 19 and 20? I don't understand that, he was 2:23 behind him in final GC. So... Yes, his goal know is P - N. I don'd think that mountain TT is such an advantage for Kreuz, e.g. in Giro 2011 flat TTs helped him more in GC when you look at the results.

Kokoso said:
I can't see why it's typicall? E.g. Tour 2009 20th Mt.Ventoux stage which was his best there probably. Kruijswijk in Giro, last stages? You mean those 30 seconds what he gained on Kreuz in stage 19 and 20? I don't understand that, he was 2:23 behind him in final GC. So... Yes, his goal know is P - N. I don'd think that mountain TT is such an advantage for Kreuz, e.g. in Giro 2011 flat TTs helped him more in GC when you look at the results.
Kreuziger was dropped very early on the Finestre, he closed a gap of a minute or more on the descent.

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Descender said:
Yes I agree with you.

I was initially going to say just "yup" but that would have been totally unacceptable wouldn't it???

Vino attacks everyone said:
yup
:p

Yup.

The Hitch said:
Froome Andy and Gesink.

To clarify

Chances

A Schleck 8/10
F Schleck 1/10
Froome 9/10
Scarponi* 2/10
Rodriguez 3/10
Samu Sanchez 3/10
VDB2 4/10
Gesink 7/10
Rujano 0/10
Kreuziger 3/10

What, are we doing betting odds now? Meh, I don't like these. Btw, gotta be careful about posting odds, ya know. Apparently some real betting has been going on - and that , I guess, is a no-no.

18-Valve. (pithy) said:
A Schleck* 2/10
F Schleck 0/10
Froome 8/10
Scarponi* 1/10
Rodriguez 6/10
Samu Sanchez 1/10
VDB2 0/10
Gesink 0/10
Rujano 0/10
Kreuziger 0/10

Now THAT is more like it.

Marcuccio said:
Should do another poll.

"Why ______ won't ever win a Grand Tour?"

Go for it! The thread is all yours to start! I'll vote, I like it.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
SafeBet said:
In 2009 Nibbles and Kreuziger went to the Tour as co-leaders and none of them was asked to work for the other.
And in 2010 he was the sole leader.

There were two designated leaders at the beginning, Basso and Kreuziger.

TRENDING THREADS