• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Will ___ ever win a Grand Tour?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Will ____ ever win a grand tour?

• Kreuziger

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Tigerion said:
He would be one of the up and coming riders mentioned in the question. Tejay, Pinot, Rolland and a number of others are coming and will hit the top level soon. The question is when they reach that level who will get pushed out and have missed their chance of winning

Yeah guys like that, Quintana, Talansky, Henao, etc...once they've had a podium and/or been knocking on the door a few times would make this poll.
I wanted to say Samu but think he has missed his shot.
That's my fear as well. I still voted for him - just couldn't bring myself not to.

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Andy will win a grand tour in the next three years IF he gets his act together and improves in the time trials. Being one of the best climbers but having one of the worst time trials of GC contenders will not get him a win.

In hindsight, Frank could have won the giro had he stayed in the race last year. He could have put time into hesjedal and the rest of the field in the climbs. Afterall, he probably was the best climber in the field last year. He can still win the giro or vuelta but not the tour.

Gesink should target a giro or vuelta win to gain some confidence then target the tour. But I'm not sure he has what it takes to win the tour. I doubt he can take time on Froome and Alberto.

Froome will win a grand tour in the very near future. He has the best time trial out of the GC contenders but we still need to see whether he can beat Contador. Tour of Oman victory doesn't mean anything as far as the tour goes.

Rodriguez and Sanchez better target the Vuelta or the Giro.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Kreuziger 3 votes, that's more than I'd expect, considering he's Czech (so he doesn't have many fans here who would be interested) and that due to that he's partly unpopular (don't know why). Only time will say.

Kokoso said:
Kreuziger 3 votes, that's more than I'd expect, considering he's Czech (so he doesn't have many fans here who would be interested) and that due to that he's partly unpopular (don't know why). Only time will say.
I think if you'd held a poll like this 5 years ago, Kreuziger would score much higher. It doesn't really matter what country you're from (although being Anglophone does help), the hype is more important. Kreuziger was much hyped, he just hasn't improved since then. If anything, he's gotten worse, like his peer Gesink.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
theyoungest said:
I think if you'd held a poll like this 5 years ago, Kreuziger would score much higher. It doesn't really matter what country you're from (although being Anglophone does help), the hype is more important. Kreuziger was much hyped, he just hasn't improved since then. If anything, he's gotten worse, like his peer Gesink.

After the TDS of '08 he would have probably been 100% in this poll.

Just like with Gesink a few years ago. But maybe it'll happen.

If Wiggins can win the tour, you never know :eek:

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Yes, but Kreuziger and Gesink still have time... Cadel e.g. tried for so long, and finally had his year where everything was working.

Once in these guys´ careers, it can be "these" three weeks, like it was "this" day for Iglinskiy in LBL...

RHRH19861986 said:
Yes, but Kreuziger and Gesink still have time... Cadel e.g. tried for so long, and finally had his year where everything was working.

Once in these guys´ careers, it can be "these" three weeks, like it was "this" day for Iglinskiy in LBL...

I don't believe in miracles.

Also, to compare Kreuziger and Gesink with Evans is unfair to Evans. Come on.

Hesjedal is a better example, but then again he lost so much time in the 2011 TDF that it was impossible to gauge his true level back then. Gesink OTOH gets dropped by Valverde's domestiques. Still does. He's just not the same type of rider anymore. Kreuziger never had it to begin with and seems to have regressed also... as a GT rider that is. He'd be better off focusing on races like LBL and short stage races, IMO

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
18-Valve. (pithy) said:
I don't believe in miracles.

Also, to compare Kreuziger and Gesink with Evans is unfair to Evans. Come on.

Hesjedal is a better example, but then again he lost so much time in the 2011 TDF that it was impossible to gauge his true level back then. Gesink OTOH gets dropped by Valverde's domestiques. Still does. He's just not the same type of rider anymore. Kreuziger never had it to begin with and seems to have regressed also... as a GT rider that is. He'd be better off focusing on races like LBL and short stage races, IMO

The Vuelta is not a sentence. He was out off top form. Besides we know how long Gesink always reaches his best conditions, how instantly he loses them due to any crash and how painfully long he recovers. I won't be surprised if he wins the Giro. Though, with a future Sir, it is a difficult task... :)

airstream said:
The Vuelta is not a sentence. He was out off top form. Besides we know how long Gesink always reaches his best conditions, how instantly he loses them due to any crash and how painfully long he recovers. I won't be surprised if he wins the Giro. Though, with a future Sir, it is a difficult task... :)

Gesink doesn't crash a whole lot. It's my impression that he can't improve that much on good early season form. He got dropped by Valverde, Henao and Costa not too long ago. I think it will be next to impossible for him to reach the top 5 in the Giro, unless the queen stages are cut short. But I'm a "hater" of course. ;)

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
To me, what Rodriguez shows in the mountains is rather a consequence of how general superelite level has equalized than his personal irreal breakthrough. He is almost 34. He will probably be among best of the best this year and it will be very good if he confirms his highest level in 2014 but no further. So I don't get why you guys are giving him so many stars. IMO he has one realistic chance — this year's Vuelta. But in case Nibali doesn't start in the Tour, I would bet on him.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
stg09_andy%20schleck02_tdf2010.jpg

100%. I assure you.

I recall Frank did the Giro under protest. He and Andy (especially Andy) aren't motivated by anything other than the Tour. Frank will ride the Vuelta if he's crashed out of the Tour and give his best effort but how often will those circumstances repeat themselves? Andy's history shows that he really can't be bothered and really don't see that changing. Andy will continue to focus on the Tour and whatever team that has him will see him as their best chance at Tour glory. I think his time has passed. He will never beat either Contador or Froome and the young guns are rising fast.

Froome will win a grand tour before he retires. He has too much talent in both areas (climbing and tt) plus a strong team.

Rodriguez can but it will have to be either the Giro or the Vuelta. If he believes he has a chance at the Tour then he will be eliminating any hope of having a grand tour win on his palmares and it appears that his recent success versus Contador at the Vuelta and his near miss at the Giro has given him hope (unfortunately) that a Tour win is within his grasp. At his age I can't blame him for pursuing his dream and he's had a stellar career thus far inspite of his late start of being a team leader.

Gesink can do it if he focuses on the Giro and Vuelta same as Purito.

Samu can win a Vuelta or even a Giro but I'd say he only has 2 more years of productivity left. He came close in the Vuelta when Valverde won and always seems to bounce from one close loss in a grand tour, using it as motivation to try another one: Vuelta-Tour, Tour-Vuelta, never sticking with one. Being Euskatel's champion, he carries a heavy burden with Anton not coming close to his Vuelta performance (2010?).
The rest of those listed will be filling the grand tour gc standings as also-rans. They just don't have what it takes.

Kokoso said:

It's not any type of bias that I can see. He simply hasn't risen his game the way someone like Nibali has. They were both considered the up and coming grand tour riders back in 2009 but while Nibali has podiumed, battled for victories in grand tours and actually won one, Kreuziger has struggled to even match his earlier success in the major week-long stage races let alone in the grand tours where he seems to be spinning his wheels.

airstream said:
To me, what Rodriguez shows in the mountains is rather a consequence of how general superelite level has equalized than his personal irreal breakthrough. He is almost 34. He will probably be among best of the best this year and it will be very good if he confirms his highest level in 2014 but no further. So I don't get why you guys are giving him so many stars. IMO he has one realistic chance — this year's Vuelta. But in case Nibali doesn't start in the Tour, I would bet on him.

Yeah, maybe it's unrealistic, but I think Purito can be in good shape in both GTs this year. This year's Vuelta suits him perfectly and there is no reason to think it will be any different next year.

Angliru said:
Froome will win a grand tour before he retires. He has too much talent in both areas (climbing and tt) plus a strong team.
Again, the term talent doesn't apply to Froome. You need to look for another term like radioactivity? :D

Seriously, ability might be just fine.

talent: a special natural ability or aptitude

cineteq said:
Again, the term talent doesn't apply to Froome. You need to look for another term like radioactivity? :D

Seriously, ability might be just fine.

talent: a special natural ability or aptitude

You don't think he has any natural ability that has influenced his success?
I'll stick with my original statement. The talent he's displayed in the past 2 years and progress he's made, it's only inevitable that he will win a grand tour.

Gesink - 25
Kreuziger - 7
VDB2 - 5

I don't get this at all :confused:

Kreuz with more votes than Jurgen even though they appear to be on different trajectories.

And what does it say that Andy gets only 34% support? Tour focus? or Inability to improve his TT? Seemingly fragile constitution?

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Froome probably, Andy Schleck possibly.

I think Frank Schleck en Sanchez have had their opportunities and missed them. I have a hunch the same goes for Rodriguez, he should have won last years Giro or Vuelta, I don't think he will get a lot of other opportunities.

The others, not gonna happen.

TRENDING THREADS