• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Will Armstrong Help Contador on Ventoux?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Will he?

• ¿qǝʍ ʇoɥs ı op ʍoɥ

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
180mmCrank said:
I doubt it...

Not sure which of the Contador / Astana / Armstrong threads this should go so have put it in a couple – apologies if this breaks with forum protocol…

Sensible, articulate, well written, factual, lacking in abuse, good use of paragraphs (;))...a rare treat on this board. Thank you, Crank!

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
180mmCrank said:
Contador is the cycling equivalent of a genius in my opinion. I hope he finds a team that is more definitive in its support and worthy of his prodigious talent...

...The team on the other hand have in my opinion been somewhat more mixed in their support of their team leader. Some of the moves on the road well documented in this thread would leave any team leader asking a few questions about people’s priorities and personal agenda at the dinner table...

...How does anyone while a member of one team fighting for a podium place think its ok to announce your intention to launch a new team in the middle of the race?...

While I do not have an argument with many of your comments I do with these - there is more than a single individual race for GC I would not suggest that Contador is a cycling genius (perhaps not what you meant but it does sound that way). Certainly Contador is strong in the mountains and TT but he seems to fail to consider there is more than a single race on the program here.

Bruyneel was going for the first modern sweep of the podium and made that very clear to the team. Bruyneel holds the contracts with all of the riders so they actual work for him. That means that Bruyneel is Contador's boss. Bruyneel is also going for the overall team victory. None of this should have been a real issue for Contador since Bruyneel also said the team would ride for the strongest rider - which it has done.

As for the Radio Shack announcement - prior to Armstrong's announcement the team had announced it was kicking him and Bruyneel to the door over Vino - Astana raised the issue and Armstrong capitalized on it (although there must be a better brand out there for US cycling). In addition to that Contador was attempting to get a contact with another team just prior to the Tour (Garmin) which was certainly reasonable since at the time it was uncertain whether Astana would even be invited to the Tour.

Lastly, I do not believe that Contador will ride for anyone today other than himself - he has proven that no one other else matters to him (including the directions from his employer). Armstrong's place on the podium will rest on Armstrong's legs and mental toughness today which is how it should be IMO.

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
CentralCaliBike said:
Snake seems to suggest sneaking and lying - Bruyneel did neither by following LA in a car (disrespectful if not for the prior relationship that Bruyneel has not hidden perhaps); as for the promise, "things change". Bruyneel left one rider off that LA wanted and another that Contador was hoping for - given the way the team has performed the only "mistake" I see was the Kasakh rider which had to be added for the "financiers".

No, snake suggests somebody that goes back on his word for his personal benefit and greed. A snake is somebody that pulls all his moves to further his agenda independently of whether his agenda is fair or professional. And JB is a master at that. He is letting his personal friendship with Lance dictate his decission making as a DS.

Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
First post here, go easy.

Isn't Lance also an investor in Bruyneel's team? I had thought that Tailwind Sports was part of the business arrangement, which would mean that, really, Lance is JB's boss. And if I have that wrong, it will certainly be true next year. Radio Shack's sponsorship deal is clearly with Lance.

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
mapei81 said:
First post here, go easy.

Isn't Lance also an investor in Bruyneel's team? I had thought that Tailwind Sports was part of the business arrangement, which would mean that, really, Lance is JB's boss. And if I have that wrong, it will certainly be true next year. Radio Shack's sponsorship deal is clearly with Lance.

I'll go easy, being your first post and all. You're about 98% percent correct, but if you take a look at the small print of all the contracts between Tailwind, LAF, Lance, JB etc, technically Lance is not JB's boss.

The contract clearly specifies and sets the legal base for an arrangement by which Bruyneel is technically Lance's little lap dog. In the profession this is also known as a obedient little bitch.

TRENDING THREADS