• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Will Cancellara ride the 2013 Tour de France?

?

• no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
No way he will do Classics - Giro - Tour. But it wouldn't surprise me to see him not bother with the Giro at the last minute and ride the Tour instead.

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I say he will. He'll start the giro then pull out towards the end of week two. his goal is to get the pink jersey during the prologue. Once that's accomplished, theres no point of him finishing the race.

He has a reasonable chance in a few stages, mainly the time trials, but also one of the Corsican stages (last one I think).

But the real people I feel sorry for in this race are the Gilbert type riders. I guess they have the World Champs and Giro to suit them this year, in addition to the Vuelta (as always) but the Tour has a horrible shape for strong uphill sprinters.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
No, like he said, he's won everything he can at the Tour. Plus I don't think Radioshack will be pressuring him to do the Tour to help Andy. After last year they need some good results, as does Cance. And both of them know that Cance has a better chance of getting those results by doing Giro-Vuelta, rather than the Tour.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
18-Valve. (pithy) said:
Both of them? Cancellara is free to leave after this season and probably will.

Right, had forgotten about that. In fact it's likely the team won't be around in 2014. Still though, I don't think they will put too much pressure on him to do the Tour, especially not if Andy doesn't show some signs of his old level returning before the Giro. And some good results would still help get their title sponsors name out there.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
gruppeto993 said:
where would he leave off to though?? doesnt he have a good relationship with guercilena?? its not like bruyneel is in charge anymore

Was rumored he was going back to Saxo, but couldn't get out of his contract. Cance and Guercilena have a good relationship I believe, they worked together when he turned pro with Mapei and at the Olympics this year.

Here's a video of him talking about Guercilena and the team.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/video-cancellara-says-guercilena-has-shaken-up-the-house

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
the asian said:
No. He's fed up of towing the Schlecks around France and will make the right decision this time.

More or less he said: "I'm going to think on my goals.

He is not gonna waste a peak for the brothers anymore.

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
the worlds are very hilly this year. So he has to drop a lot of weight and try to be in Mendrisio form or he has nothing better to do after the cobbles than the Tour...

Besides, how many TT in the Tour did Cancellara won? Not so much. He rides for an American team, so their tacticks are as much Tour-focussed as the former Rabobank.

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Matthijs said:
the worlds are very hilly this year. So he has to drop a lot of weight and try to be in Mendrisio form or he has nothing better to do after the cobbles than the Tour...

Besides, how many TT in the Tour did Cancellara won? Not so much. He rides for an American team, so their tacticks are as much Tour-focussed as the former Rabobank.

True. I don't know what else is there for him to target after the cobbled classics apart from the tour. Perhaps he wants to win another world TT? I mean the races during the second part of the season are either stage races or hilly classics like lombardia. I doubt these are his targets.
by riding the tour, he has nothing to lose.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
gruppeto993 said:
True. I don't know what else is there for him to target after the cobbled classics apart from the tour. Perhaps he wants to win another world TT? I mean the races during the second part of the season are either stage races or hilly classics like lombardia. I doubt these are his targets.
by riding the tour, he has nothing to lose.

Cancellara has achieved everything in the Tour he ever wanted, and he doesn't like to get slaved around by the Schlecks anymore.
He's ridden multiple GT's since 2009 combined with a spring classics season, until last year, and it's just too hard for him to have three big peaks in his season.
He should now specifically prepare for the races he still wants to add to his palmares.

For example, he hasn't won any Italian autumn classics, nor has he won Paris-Tours. And he isn't going to focus on TT's anymore, so the WC aren't his main goal. I think he'll just ride the Giro this year, and rest during the Tour to build up to his goals in the autumn classics.

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
He wants to wear the pink jersey, yes. But the worlds course doesnt really suit him. He needs to lose some weight. Maybe he wants to do just that after the giro.

gruppeto993 said:
He wants to wear the pink jersey, yes. But the worlds course doesnt really suit him. He needs to lose some weight. Maybe he wants to do just that after the giro.

He's fast running out of time. 2013 and 2014 are his last chances. While I agree that the course is too difficult for him, he definitely give it a go.
Riding all 3 Grand Tours is too much and riding the Vuelta is a very good way to Prepare for the Worlds', so he will miss the Tour, if he has any ambition about the Worlds.

TRENDING THREADS