• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

will Lance be like OJ ?

I for one, want to see LA and his entourage go down in flames. However, I felt this excitement during the OJ trial and was sure that goof was going down and we all know what happened.

After all is said and done, are we going down the route of another OJ Simpson-like verdict with LA ? I'm hoping not , but with all the hoopla, all the discussion, will Novitzky be able to nail him and his entourage ? or will the fraud come out on top fooling the world again ? My fear would be the UCI may protect him and their dealings and the nation of yellow wrist straps will multiply. :confused:

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
masking_agent said:
I for one, want to see LA and his entourage go down in flames. However, I felt this excitement during the OJ trial and was sure that goof was going down and we all know what happened.

After all is said and done, are we going down the route of another OJ Simpson-like verdict with LA ? I'm hoping not , but with all the hoopla, all the discussion, will Novitzky be able to nail him and his entourage ? or will the fraud come out on top fooling the world again ? My fear would be the UCI may protect him and their dealings and the nation of yellow wrist straps will multiply. :confused:

I dunno about the verdict, but I'm willing to lay money down on a sweet low-speed car chase:
sp_action_1003.jpg

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
chewbacca_defense.jpg

Why would a Wookiee, an eight-foot tall Wookiee, want to live on Endor, with a bunch of two-foot tall Ewoks? That does not make sense! But more important, you have to ask yourself: What does this have to do with this case? Nothing. Ladies and gentlemen, it has nothing to do with this case! It does not make sense! Look at me. I'm a lawyer defending a major record company, and I'm talkin' about Chewbacca! Does that make sense? Ladies and gentlemen, I am not making any sense! None of this makes sense! And so you have to remember, when you're in that jury room deliberatin' and conjugatin' the Emancipation Proclamation, does it make sense? No! Ladies and gentlemen of this supposed jury, it does not make sense! If Chewbacca lives on Endor, you must acquit! The defense rests

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
My BigWheel was the same kind as Kyle's. Red and yellow. No pull handle or doorstopper noisemaker. A stock Marx BigWheel! 1972 baby!

Middle ground

There's lots of middle ground possibilities to keep in mind. Imagine a range of events from 1 to 99.

1: Guilty of multiple Felonies with perp-walk and jail time that are not appealed down or away.

99: Walks with no case brought to court.

Some middle-of-the-range possibilities:
30: Guilty of a couple of Felonies appealed away and a walk from Club Fed under 'time served.' The original case having more accusations that get whittled away by Defense.
50: Full entourage of Armstrong Attorneys plea a deal in the 11th hour of the case.
70: Plea deal, no court time. Jail time. No perp walk. Little or nothing of the investigation goes public to insulate the actors from other court battles.
80 Plea deal. No jail, no felony, no perp-walk and a slap on the wrist.

Then there's the outlier where Armstrong's legal team wrangles a mistrial.

Even then, the UCI and TdF will probably do nothing to the record of wins.

Good things can still happen for Armstrong even if he gets a Felony conviction. Look at Martha Stewart. Her felony conviction only slowed her down a little.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
2ufauy0.jpg

I am looking forward to seeing Polish & Flicker holding up 'HOPE" signs as Lance drives the Livestrong Nissan Leaf™ pulling a Chalkbot and running stop signs.

But most of all I am looking forward to Jeff Novitzky saying that after much KYJelly that the glove did indeed fit.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:

One doesn't travel to France with his prosecutor if he does not intend to file charges. If this case had no legs, he would have abandoned it long ago. The reason he's spending so much time is because it's a really big case now.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BotanyBay said:
One doesn't travel to France with his prosecutor if he does not intend to file charges. If this case had no legs, he would have abandoned it long ago. The reason he's spending so much time is because it's a really big case now.

Either that or Novizky likes to watch old Jerry Lewis movies and eat curissants in bed with his Parisean mistress.

DirtyWorks said:
...Look at Martha Stewart. Her felony conviction only slowed her down a little.

Well done with the range and scope of ranked eventualities - nice application of logic.

Regarding the last point - Stewart's career may have actually been resurrected by the Federal Holiday - She's arguably more popular than ever.

If Lance is seen as the victim of this shameless witch hunt and goes to jail, and then it becomes a very expensive Fed funded promotional campaign... it will rank as a big goose egg for The Clinic on the 1 to 99 scale.

i.e. a Zero (0) for Ouch

relative to the thread this possibility threatens that he'll be nothing like OJ.

In fact the opposite, escape smelling like a Texas Rose... Nah! Not possible.

DirtyWorks said:
There's lots of middle ground possibilities to keep in mind. Imagine a range of events from 1 to 99.

1: Guilty of multiple Felonies with perp-walk and jail time that are not appealed down or away.

Some middle-of-the-range possibilities:
30: Guilty of a couple of Felonies appealed away and a walk from Club Fed under 'time served.' The original case having more accusations that get whittled away by Defense.
50: Full entourage of Armstrong Attorneys plea a deal in the 11th hour of the case.
70: Plea deal, no court time. Jail time. No perp walk. Little or nothing of the investigation goes public to insulate the actors from other court battles.
80 Plea deal. No jail, no felony, no perp-walk and a slap on the wrist.

Then there's the outlier where Armstrong's legal team wrangles a mistrial.

Even then, the UCI and TdF will probably do nothing to the record of wins.

Good things can still happen for Armstrong even if he gets a Felony conviction. Look at Martha Stewart. Her felony conviction only slowed her down a little.

You are missing the most likely possibility: Information surfaces so that even the average dumbass on the street can figure out that Armstrong was doping. Armstrong then has a huge PR problem to handle, which will be made even worse by his long history of lying. Wrap that up with defrauding people with terminal diseases and it could get truly ugly. It could be like the Bonds or Clemens situation multiplied many times over.

Even with no criminal law issues, Armstrong is facing a serious problem. If it goes criminal then trying to maintain public perception will hamper his defense.

BroDeal said:
You are missing the most likely possibility: Information surfaces so that even the average dumbass on the street can figure out that Armstrong was doping. ....
Even with no criminal law issues, Armstrong is facing a serious problem. If it goes criminal then trying to maintain public perception will hamper his defense.

BroDeal,

Those people on the street believe lots of stuff that has no bearing on reality. Some of them have been pretending for so long already, a few more facts won't change a thing. Really.

Also public perception is temporary. Today's felony (pick one) conviction is tomorrow's philanthropist and the felony just passes into untold history. "In like Flynn" is a good example.

We agree on lots of things, this is another one where we generally agree, but I get bogged down in detailed aspects of the issue.

Disagree

TubularBills said:
Well done with the range and scope of ranked eventualities - nice application of logic.

Regarding the last point - Stewart's career may have actually been resurrected by the Federal Holiday - She's arguably more popular than ever.

If Lance is seen as the victim of this shameless witch hunt and goes to jail,

If members of Team Armstrong are convicted as felons and do Federal time, then it seems most here would agree that's a big-win for The Clinic.

As for perceptions about "witch hunts", my wife still grumbles about Martha Stewart's conviction. That conviction had the lies so well documented Tyler's vanishing Twin needed to spread fairy dust in the juror's box for her to walk. And yet, my wife still calls it a "witch hunt." Which is a long way to say there will be some Public Strategies fueled believers left even if Armstrong convicted of multiple felonies.

BTW, the rest of Tailwind Sports' principals are rarely mentioned, but those guys are most likely the ones that funded the myth and fueled the (likely) felons.

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
flicker said:
Either that or Novizky likes to watch old Jerry Lewis movies and eat curissants in bed with his Parisean mistress.

As amusing as I find your posts, and that's pretty amusing, I think you might want to find a french-english dictionary.

Ya might be pushing the line between funny and ignorant. Only in terms of spelling, mind you. I wouldn't give you such a hard time, but I know you're way smarter than that...

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
If members of Team Armstrong are convicted as felons and do Federal time, then it seems most here would agree that's a big-win for The Clinic.

As for perceptions about "witch hunts", my wife still grumbles about Martha Stewart's conviction. That conviction had the lies so well documented Tyler's vanishing Twin needed to spread fairy dust in the juror's box for her to walk. And yet, my wife still calls it a "witch hunt." Which is a long way to say there will be some Public Strategies fueled believers left even if Armstrong convicted of multiple felonies.

BTW, the rest of Tailwind Sports' principals are rarely mentioned, but those guys are most likely the ones that funded the myth and fueled the (likely) felons.

The major difference between Lance and OJ, aside from the crime. OJ was still a good football player and didn't mess with other players. These guys likely did and still cheated the sport. As for Martha; she didn't get caught stealing her craft ideas and recipes so her fans still cling to that reality.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Oldman said:
[/B]

The major difference between Lance and OJ, aside from the crime. OJ was still a good football player and didn't mess with other players. These guys likely did and still cheated the sport. As for Martha; she didn't get caught stealing her craft ideas and recipes so her fans still cling to that reality.

Martha is sweet and humorous Lance and OJ are not. I love watching Martha and her daughter.

DirtyWorks said:
Those people on the street believe lots of stuff that has no bearing on reality. Some of them have been pretending for so long already, a few more facts won't change a thing. Really.

Also public perception is temporary. Today's felony (pick one) conviction is tomorrow's philanthropist and the felony just passes into untold history. "In like Flynn" is a good example.

We agree on lots of things, this is another one where we generally agree, but I get bogged down in detailed aspects of the issue.

For every Martha Stewart there is a Pete Rose. Armstrong's problem is that doping calls into question the reason why anyone gives a damn about the little pr!ck in the first place. Martha Stewart was convicted of a minor offense that had do with her business. The average woman on the street probably could not even explain what she did wrong. It is easy for anyone to understand what Armstrong did wrong. It is summed up as he cheated and lied about it. What is Armstrong without the wins? Martha Stewart is still Martha Stewart even if she had Gordon Gecko on speed dial.

TRENDING THREADS