• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Will Nibali ever win the Tour?

Will Nibali ever win the Tour?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Do you think he'll ever do it based on his skills and the current competition.

Me personally i don't think Nibali has it in him to win the tour against guys like Contador or Froome unless in some special circumstances. But i don't see it happening.

He's also italian which pretty much forces him to sometimes ride the giro.

He has one good thing going on though: vino-effect.

I don't think so. With Contador, Wiggins and Froome in place and Van Gardaren rising I don't even see him getting back on the podium. It appears his tt has improved but he still is not in the same league overall as the above riders. Plus, as mentioned earlier, he's Italian and has yet to win the Giro and I imagine that it's pretty high on his list of priorities. Every year he goes for the Giro win is a year he won't be contending in the Tour. Love him as a rider though. Big heart and courage.

look, nibali is far from an andy schleck or contador. far
but he's a tough rider and he proved me wrong lots of times, he's always there and he's improving(yes i think his level from last year's tour was superior to vuelta 2010 and all the giros he rode)

jens_attacks said:
look, nibali is far from an andy schleck or contador. far
but he's a tough rider and he proved me wrong lots of times, he's always there and he's improving(yes i think his level from last year's tour was superior to vuelta 2010 and all the giros he rode)

Yeah, but the general level of the Tour 2012 wasn't impressive. Considering the amount of contenders that either didn't start or were heavily battered after the first week

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
He has the capability to, especially if he continues to improve and doesn't fizzle out like other talked up riders have done. Will he win it within the next couple years? Probably not, but winning it some time in the future is not outside the realm of possibilities.

After all, a couple years ago I doubt many people would be expecting Wiggins or Hesjedal to one day be grand tour winners.

If Sastre, Evans & Wiggo were able to win the Tour, then why can't Nibali win it as well? All of them entirely underestimated & yet they did it during their early thirties, so Vincenzo has the years to develop further his abilities & somehow he- like the ones I mentioned-finds himself in a situation where he can win it. It'd be unwise to count him out.

TRENDING THREADS