• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Will Nibali ever win the Tour?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Will Nibali ever win the Tour?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Let's see

This year Contador, Froome...
Next year Contador, Froome, Wiggins, probably Van Garderen, Pinot, Quintana, Talansky..
2015 Contador, Froome, Wiggins, probably Van Garderen, Pinot, Quintana, Talansky, Kelderman, Dombrowski, Chaves...

NO WAY. A PODIUM one more time probably.

despite voting no on the win i love how people continue to underrate nibali saying he will be lucky if he podiums again mentioning TJVG as some1 with more GT potential then him . . .

this reminds me of 2010 when we were all sure kreuziguer and gesink had 10 times the talent nibali had

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately no. Maybe Astana puts a great team behind him as a GC captain and it's a status well deserved, but he lacks some engine/endurance in 3 weeks stage races. And descents are the only discipline where he is clearly a superior rider.

However I hope he can defeat Wiggo in Italy.

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Parrulo said:
despite voting no on the win i love how people continue to underrate nibali saying he will be lucky if he podiums again mentioning TJVG as some1 with more GT potential then him . . .

this reminds me of 2010 when we were all sure kreuziguer and gesink had 10 times the talent nibali had

Tejay Van Garderen has much more talent/GT potential than Nibali. Nibali is a rider who has improved a lot year by year. And today is a great rider. But with the age of TVG Vincenzo was nobody in comparison with the american. What did Nibali with 23/24 years? At this age Van Garderen is the fifth of a Tour de France, best young rider and one of the five bests GT riders in the TT. I am not saying VG will **** Nibali in a couple of years, we dont now yet. But the guy has more potential than the sicilian.

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Jason_Mercier said:
Let's see

This year Contador, Froome...
Next year Contador, Froome, Wiggins, probably Van Garderen, Pinot, Quintana, Talansky..
2015 Contador, Froome, Wiggins, probably Van Garderen, Pinot, Quintana, Talansky, Kelderman, Dombrowski, Chaves...

NO WAY. A PODIUM one more time probably.

I love the way you completely rule out andy schleck. Whats wrong with you?! You mention guys like pinot and quintana who are clearly big talents when it comes to grand tours but you completely rule out andy who has come second in 4 grand tours? I am no fan of his attitude tp racing but he is the second best climber there is after contador.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
hfer07 said:
If Sastre, Evans & Wiggo were able to win the Tour, then why can't Nibali win it as well? All of them entirely underestimated & yet they did it during their early thirties, so Vincenzo has the years to develop further his abilities & somehow he- like the ones I mentioned-finds himself in a situation where he can win it. It'd be unwise to count him out.

All of them had much more prerequisites to become a Tour winner than current Nibali

Let's expect top-10 from Quintana at least and a cascade of resultative attacks from Pinot in order to build such ambitious plans for them.

Jason_Mercier said:
Tejay Van Garderen has much more talent/GT potential than Nibali. Nibali is a rider who has improved a lot year by year. And today is a great rider. But with the age of TVG Vincenzo was nobody in comparison with the american. What did Nibali with 23/24 years? At this age Van Garderen is the fifth of a Tour de France, best young rider and one of the five bests GT riders in the TT. I am not saying VG will **** Nibali in a couple of years, we dont now yet. But the guy has more potential than the sicilian.
Let's wait before Tejay gets more results than 5th in the Tour. Gesink got 5th in the Tour at that age as well, I don't think anyone considers him a potential Tour winner either.

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
It is unlikely but not impossible.

It depends on the field and the amount of problems the other contenders have during the race.

It would probably need a route with not a huge amount of TTing, and some big stages finishing in descents or small climbs after long descents.

He is highly unlikely to be either the best climber or the best TTer in the race so it is hard for him to gain time over rivals except descents.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Let's wait before Tejay gets more results than 5th in the Tour. Gesink got 5th in the Tour at that age as well, I don't think anyone considers him a potential Tour winner either.

What about the dutch people? They gave up that dream? :D

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Gesink did 5th but never was one of the three bests riders in his terrain. And TVG yes. We saw it in Besançon, the best gt rider in the TT only after Wiggins and Froome.

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
gruppeto993 said:
I love the way you completely rule out andy schleck. Whats wrong with you?! You mention guys like pinot and quintana who are clearly big talents when it comes to grand tours but you completely rule out andy who has come second in 4 grand tours? I am no fan of his attitude tp racing but he WAS the second best climber there is after contador.

Let's wait and see if he recover his level. But today Andy is nothing. Let's see in the Mediterranean Tour. If he doesnt ride well here i fear the worst.

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Jason_Mercier said:
Let's wait and see if he recover his level. But today Andy is nothing. Let's see in the Mediterranean Tour. If he doesnt ride well here i fear the worst.

Then we can be sure he is over;)

i give him the doubt till the classics. Not to win but top 10-15 being there as an important piece of the race. Then we can expect something for 2014

Jason_Mercier said:
Gesink did 5th but never was one of the three bests riders in his terrain. And TVG yes. We saw it in Besançon, the best gt rider in the TT only after Wiggins and Froome.

TJVG is a good time trialist. . . and what? this years course was perfect for him, over 100km of itt and the lightest mountains possible around france, if the course has a couple of proper mountains he is out of the fight for the podium right away. quintana and pinot and 100 times the GT talents TJVG is imo.

btw at 23 nibali finished top 20 in both the giro(11th) and the tour(18th) while being a domestique and at 24 he finished 7th in the tour but closer in time to the second overall then TJVG was to the third overall this year.

and when TJVG finishes a GT on the podium and/or wins another next year like nibali did at 25, you can come and say he is more talented.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Parrulo said:
TJVG is a good time trialist. . . and what? this years course was perfect for him, over 100km of itt and the lightest mountains possible around france, if the course has a couple of proper mountains he is out of the fight for the podium right away. quintana and pinot and 100 times the GT talents TJVG is imo.
The Tour makes very high TT requirements traditionally. Either one is a genial climber or a brilliant all-rounde who can limit his mountain losses in TT. Nibali doesn't look like any of these guys so far.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts