• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Winter Riding

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Laszlo said:
I didn't mean to be disrespectful in posting contradictory advice; my apologies, but even with gore tex socks in winter, when you have snow, ice, slush or freezing rain there is the problem of water seeping down the cuff into the foot; I had to cut drain holes in the bottom of my expensive goretex socks; dry cold is far less difficult than wet; but frozen foot syndrome seems to affect different people differently each.

i was not offended. i just was not clear about the heat issue you brought up.
you are correct about the water/sweat factor. show covers work for me, but
as i said, we don't have your kind of weather here. the plastic bag thing is
just a poormans fix when nothing else is available.;)

Apr 3, 2009
Visit site
I'm in Northern New England and ride all year round. I spend the week inside on a trainer in the the afternoons and get out on the weekends if the weather permits. And by that I mean that so long as it doesn't snow then I'll be out. However I usually like to have a day between storms to let the roads clear up a bit. Otherwise I am out there even when it gets really, really cold. I often wonder what motorists think when they see me out on the roads. Sometimes I'll pass another dedicated cyclist going in the other direction and we'll nod at each other sharing the knowledge of our devotion.

My only issue with riding outside in the winter up here is that I don't have a "winter bike" so my Madone goes out in all conditions, much to the dismay & surprise of my cycling friends up here.

A

Anonymous

Very good thread. I went out and got some diving gloves (as someone mentioned) and so far... they're working good. But for folks who have real winter, winter that will kill you if you don't pay attention I found these wheels. Last year was very snowy in SW Wisconsin, but this year who knows.

http://www.allweathersports.com/winter/snowcats.html

look like the real deal

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
brewerjeff said:
Very good thread. I went out and got some diving gloves (as someone mentioned) and so far... they're working good. But for folks who have real winter, winter that will kill you if you don't pay attention I found these wheels. Last year was very snowy in SW Wisconsin, but this year who knows.

http://www.allweathersports.com/winter/snowcats.html

look like the real deal

Just before I headed back down south, my LBS in Ottawa was making up a set of those - or something very similar - for a guy. Incredible! And the tyres are just ridiculously huge! But, jeez ... talk about looking like a blast to ride!! :)

Another option - which I've only ever seen on TV - is this:

https://www.ktrakcycle.com/index.html

I so wanna give it a go ... I reckon it'd be perfect for the spring when there's still heaps of snow on the trails but they've stopped the grooming ... (mind you, ordinary MTB and cross bike are fun at that stage too ...) :)

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
001.JPG

Sep 19, 2009
Visit site
I used to live in the tropics, all my gear was made to vent heat out and remain cool. Now I'm living up north (like way north) and i'ts a nightmare. I must invest in the right winter gear or get an indoor trainer to avoid getting fat.
What's your opinion on indoor trainers?

A

Anonymous

RDV4ROUBAIX said:

My understanding is that to use the "Large Marge" rims and uber-big Surly tires your bike has to be built for them. Each "LM" rim weighs about a kilo / 2.2 lbs. (I am not affiliated with the Snow Cat folks) Seems the beauty of Snow Cats is that you just use your regular bike, 26 or 29er and any tire you want, within reason. They quoted me a built 29er wheel set last year and it was very reasonable. Then I went and spent my bike budget on another project... Maybe this year. Please Santa.

A

Anonymous

Fourier said:
I used to live in the tropics, all my gear was made to vent heat out and remain cool. Now I'm living up north (like way north) and i'ts a nightmare. I must invest in the right winter gear or get an indoor trainer to avoid getting fat.
What's your opinion on indoor trainers?

For me the problem has always been that it is "indoors" and my ADD tendency makes me get bored easily. I got rollers last year and have almost got the hang of it. Dangerous? Yes, but never a dull moment.

Winter gear just means layers of wool, silk, poly propylene and something to block the wind while allowing sweat to vent. If you're warm enough when you go out to ride you are over dressed and will be cooking soon.

One problem I have not solved is glasses getting fogged up from my breath. Any solutions out there?

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
brewerjeff said:
My understanding is that to use the "Large Marge" rims and uber-big Surly tires your bike has to be built for them. Each "LM" rim weighs about a kilo / 2.2 lbs. (I am not affiliated with the Snow Cat folks) Seems the beauty of Snow Cats is that you just use your regular bike, 26 or 29er and any tire you want, within reason. They quoted me a built 29er wheel set last year and it was very reasonable. Then I went and spent my bike budget on another project... Maybe this year. Please Santa.

I have ridden friends' Large Marge. They are great if you want to ride in real snow instead of hardpack trails, but you are right about them being very very heavy. Snowcats are much lighter, but have far less width too so you won't get the extreme fattie experience. I ended up building a set of 26" Echo trials rims. They are 46mm wide, a couple of mm wider than the Snowcats, and have holes drilled in them to shed weight. They really fill out a 2.5" tire and so far have held up well over 4 years of use. As a snow tire build, I have been very happy on hard trail, soft trail, no trail, and ice. Photo of rim only here http://www.webcyclery.com/product.php?productid=17428.

brewerjeff said:
One problem I have not solved is glasses getting fogged up from my breath. Any solutions out there?

I haven't really had that problem, must be a drier environment than where you ride, but I know that they market an anti-fog spray for plastic hockey face shields that might do the trick. They probably make similar products for skiing/snowboarding goggles too.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
brewerjeff said:

Yeah, those Snow cats look good. Will have a pair before the year is over just out of plain 'ol curiosity. Had to plug the Pugsley, cuz at the end of this summer I participated in the Almanzo Gentleman's Ride down in Rochester, MN(104 miles of gravel), and there were no less than 4 Pugsleys there that day. Helluva ride!

pedaling squares said:
I have ridden friends' Large Marge. They are great if you want to ride in real snow instead of hardpack trails, but you are right about them being very very heavy. Snowcats are much lighter, but have far less width too so you won't get the extreme fattie experience.

The notion that Pugsleys are only good on soft terrain is a myth, heavy.. yeah, but it doesn't matter. During that Gentleman's ride those 4 guys on Pugs who rolled with us had no complaints, and we were all on road and cross bikes. The Pugsley crew averaged just under 16mph over 104 miles of hard gravel roads!!!
7230_151334928000_739578000_2628444_2627886_n.jpg

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
The notion that Pugsleys are only good on soft terrain is a myth, heavy.. yeah, but it doesn't matter. During that Gentleman's ride those 4 guys on Pugs who rolled with us had no complaints, and we were all on road and cross bikes. The Pugsley crew averaged just under 16mph over 104 miles of hard gravel roads!!!

I agree that this bike/tire combination can be fantastic in various terrain. I did not suggest that these tires were only good on soft terrain, but pointed out that they excel in this terrain. Their weight is largely irrelevant when the terrain allows them to roll, like in the photo above on a smooth gravel road. Their weight is far more noticeable when the terrain causes the rider to slow down and then resume speed. That heavy rotating mass requires more effort to get 'em going. You may love them though, they do have their benefits. I sure enjoyed riding them but prefer to stick with the 46mm rims.

Mar 25, 2009
Visit site
Real winter or Lower 48 winter?

Here in Calgary, Canada, the winter can sometimes hit hard. I find that the choice of bike (whether MTB or 'cross) is not as important as the other gear. This is what works for me. For the bike, I use a Salsa Las Cruces crosser with cable-pull disc brakes, full fenders, and usually at least one (front) studded tire if there's widespread ice on the roads. I find that the discs perform more consistently in ice and snow, and the rim sidewall wear problem is eliminated. I also use a good bright headlight and a flashing taillight. For clothing, I like full-on winter MTB shoes with warm booties over top, and some decent winter cycling wear in a layered approach on the rest of the body. Outfitted in this fashion, I'll usually ride when it's no colder than 20 to 25 Celsius below zero (that's -4 to -13 Fahrenheit). Any colder and it gets stupid!

Oct 8, 2009
Visit site
ylipkov said:
Outfitted in this fashion, I'll usually ride when it's no colder than 20 to 25 Celsius below zero (that's -4 to -13 Fahrenheit). Any colder and it gets stupid!

:eek:

Shouldn't this be on the 'cycling, evidence of mental illness' thread?

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
hi.
The Great White North, we do get down as low as -20 and -30 C. When it's that cold I bring out the big guns... neoprene booties, Gore-tex pants and Louis Garneau lobster-claw mittens (keeps warm and lets you brake and shift), and a fleece helmet liner that has ear-coverage.

A

Anonymous

pedaling squares said:
I have ridden friends' Large Marge. They are great if you want to ride in real snow instead of hardpack trails, but you are right about them being very very heavy. Snowcats are much lighter, but have far less width too so you won't get the extreme fattie experience. I ended up building a set of 26" Echo trials rims. They are 46mm wide, a couple of mm wider than the Snowcats, and have holes drilled in them to shed weight. They really fill out a 2.5" tire and so far have held up well over 4 years of use. As a snow tire build, I have been very happy on hard trail, soft trail, no trail, and ice. Photo of rim only here http://www.webcyclery.com/product.php?productid=17428.

I haven't really had that problem, must be a drier environment than where you ride, but I know that they market an anti-fog spray for plastic hockey face shields that might do the trick. They probably make similar products for skiing/snowboarding goggles too.

jh3mms.jpg

Echo rims are very pretty! i didn't see any in 29er size though. ? Fogging up is only a problem when it gets below freezing, like up where they have real winter. I'll try some anti-for stuff. thanx

A

Anonymous

When I lived in tropical Minnesota the weather man always pointed out that the really bad weather came down from Canada. We knew that without Canada it would be a tropical paradise.... Then when I moved to Wisconsin the weatherman said the bad weather came in from Minnesota. Go figer, eh!

Sep 9, 2009
Visit site
I'm lucky enough to live in Boulder, CO. Almost all the big snows we get tend to disappear from the roads within a few days -- except for the massive blowers that can bring a foot a week during late December through February. Most of the time I'm good on the cross bike, though it does get filthy. If it's moist enough -- meaning the dirt turns to pancake clay -- it's time for the singlespeed, with a super easy gear, like 32x18 or x20. But really I prefer to get off the bike for the winter. XC and skate skiing is a nice way to build/maintain fitness, and I'm twice as psyched to get back on the bike when the time comes.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I ride into the mid 30's as long as the roads are clear(I find 23mm tires and snow and slush don't mix well:D). I have been thinking about getting a cyclo-cross bike for the bad stuff, but it will have to wait for another year or so.

It has been quite a warm fall so far where I live, it was 64 yesterday it's not uncommon to have had a few snows by now. It's supposed to be in the mid 40's to low 50's here next week.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
knewcleardaze said:
How far into the fall and winter do you guys ride?

I've found that I can get away with summer gear at 60 degrees and up. Below 60 Fahrenheit, I need my long trousers and long sleeved jersey.

Why don't you join this one next spring?
Tour of Cyprus 2010, March 25-28, is a stage endurance cyclosportive ride in the Republic of Cyprus, in the same spirit as the Giro d’ Italia and the Tour de France, but which is open to amateurs and professionals. An excellent opportunity to challenge and train yourself first thing after the winter within the warm and sunny spring of the island of Cyprus.
read more in http://www.tourofcyprus.com

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
"Tour of Cyprus 2010"

Hi James,

Could we co operate in promoting this event? We are open to suggestions and we have a few of our own as well.

Tour of Cyprus 2010, March 25-28, is a stage endurance cyclosportive ride in the Republic of Cyprus, in the same spirit as the Giro d’ Italia and the Tour de France, but which is open to amateurs and professionals. An excellent opportunity to challenge and train yourself first thing after the winter within the warm and sunny spring of the island of Cyprus.
read more in http://www.tourofcyprus.com

Andy

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
In all poor weather scenarios I just ask myself "What would Boonen do?"
and the answer is always "snort coke off the cleavage of my teenage
girlfriend"