• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Winter Riding

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A

Anonymous

Pain vs Health threat

I don't ride when it gets below 10F / -12C. (Wisconsin) Its not the pain or suffering. That's what cycalist are supposed to experience. But heavy breathing of really cold air can lead to exercise induced asthma. Too many people love me or depend on me for a living to allow that to happen.

Bring on the snow and ice.

knewcleardaze said:
I suspect I may be getting old and wimpy as well. This winter I am going to try and make a concentrated effort to go more often in the cold. The other day my toes were a bit chilly. But I did buy cold weather riding gear, so I'm going to use it more often.

shoe covers. also if you don't have any, plastic grocery bags inside your shoes
work really well.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
those plastic bags are more dangerous in my experience than helpful; natural perspiration at the foot, melting ice/snow working their way into the bag then you have your foot soaking in a freezing bag of water- very painful, especially when the wet foot is more susceptable to abrasion.

I found smearing vaseline on the foot and other body parts goes farther than anything else to maintaining comfort in freezing cold conditions. Lot of respect to folks riding in montreal, ottawa other snowy parts.I spent a lot of time riding in sub zero, and I really hate it actually; I spend way too much time cleaning bike, clothes and home afterwards. It's cool to prevail against the elements, but been there, done that- the cycling really suffers, speed and distance drops, hazards of icy surfaces and danger of hypothermia. I like to ride- I don't need to prove I am superman.

One day on my way in to work during a storm I was passed by a snowmobile; and when I arrived a bit late, everyone in the shop were laughing, they had the morning radio going and the traffic report of was a cyclist they knew could only be me, so they knew I was going to be showing up.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
I'm in Northern Vermont and last winter was the first time I made a concerted effort to ride outside in the winter. Ground rules were basically:

1. No ice on the roads
2. Above 10 degrees Fahrenheit.

I spent a bit of money on the proper gear but I was pleasantly surprised with how comfortable the riding was. My feet got cold at first, but I fixed that by going heavy socks - vapor barrier - shoes - booties and on the coldest days I through a chemical foot warmer in the toes of the vapor barrier.

I'm glad I spent the money. There's something great about being on the bike in midwinter, knowing most folks are on the slopes instead. Just got to be careful to avoid the ice. Plus, drivers are much less expecting to see cyclists and therefore seemed a bit less polite. When there's snow on the shoulders, there's also less room to "move aside" for said vehicles.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Those of you having cold feet issues should take a look at Lake's winter boot. I bought a pair about 5 years ago and can ride out in the bitterest of Minnesota winters with no cold feet problems whatsoever. I've been out in sub zero weather for a couple hours and never had a problem with my feet. Never use booties, electric socks, heat pads, plastic bags, snake oil, or doubling up socks in bigger shoes, it's all overkill. These Lake boots are expensive, just like everything else in our sport, but you're feet will never be cold again.

http://www.lakecycling.com/mxz302-p-111.html

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
I just took a peek at those and I have to wonder how is the flexibility ? I ankle a lot and think a boot that holds my shin in place would kill me after a while.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Eleven,

Dude, you live in Austin TX. Sure you need the warmest winter footwear known to the cycling world? I cannot ride these boots above 40-50F, way too hot.

Does it even snow in Austin?:)

Oops, I just looked at your Vermont post. You should change your "location".;)

A

Anonymous

RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Those of you having cold feet issues should take a look at Lake's winter boot. I bought a pair about 5 years ago and can ride out in the bitterest of Minnesota winters with no cold feet problems whatsoever. I've been out in sub zero weather for a couple hours and never had a problem with my feet. Never use booties, electric socks, heat pads, plastic bags, snake oil, or doubling up socks in bigger shoes, it's all overkill. These Lake boots are expensive, just like everything else in our sport, but you're feet will never be cold again.

http://www.lakecycling.com/mxz302-p-111.html

nice boot...

not so nice price.. :eek:

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Eleven,

Dude, you live in Austin TX. Sure you need the warmest winter footwear known to the cycling world? I cannot ride these boots above 40-50F, way too hot.

Does it even snow in Austin?:)

Oops, I just looked at your Vermont post. You should change your "location".;)

Eh, yeah - that would be confusing! For a tad bit of clarity, my work life means splitting my time about 70/30 between VT and TX, with winters being primarily VT.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
eleven said:
Eh, yeah - that would be confusing! For a tad bit of clarity, my work life means splitting my time about 70/30 between VT and TX, with winters being primarily VT.

As a cyclist, you should figure out a way to reverse your time commitments.

A

Anonymous

winter riding...

Yeah I would second that...last year I got some northwave winter shoes/boots on closeout somewhere for like 65 bucks...goretex inside ect...they are pretty great...I live in Vermont and tho I don't go out in the snow on the bike, I can easily ride til mid to late november and start early as well...once the big heavy snow hits I stay off road...even when it's clear you get ice patches that sneak out and bite you...

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
I am sold on the winter shoes. Standard shoes are made to breath and that is no good under cold and especially with rain/snow. Also, I've found additional socks to actually restrict blood flow inside of a much tighter shoe and the cold sensation just seems to intensify.

Laszlo said:
those plastic bags are more dangerous in my experience than helpful; natural perspiration at the foot, melting ice/snow working their way into the bag then you have your foot soaking in a freezing bag of water- very painful, especially when the wet foot is more susceptable to abrasion.

I found smearing vaseline on the foot and other body parts goes farther than anything else to maintaining comfort in freezing cold conditions. Lot of respect to folks riding in montreal, ottawa other snowy parts.I spent a lot of time riding in sub zero, and I really hate it actually; I spend way too much time cleaning bike, clothes and home afterwards. It's cool to prevail against the elements, but been there, done that- the cycling really suffers, speed and distance drops, hazards of icy surfaces and danger of hypothermia. I like to ride- I don't need to prove I am superman.

One day on my way in to work during a storm I was passed by a snowmobile; and when I arrived a bit late, everyone in the shop were laughing, they had the morning radio going and the traffic report of was a cyclist they knew could only be me, so they knew I was going to be showing up.

we don't have snow here dude...i will go with covers.but the bags are way
better than Vaseline. if you have heat issues with the bag, just cover the front of the foot, thereby allowing for breathing. it works just to keep the toes warm. never actually used the whole foot method, for the problems you
highlighted.

Aug 8, 2009
Visit site
Murray said:
In the fall (like now) down to about 2 C (36 F) I just ride with a light sweater and a windbreaker with long-finger MTB gloves.

Once it goes below freezing I switch to a Race Face waterproof-breathable shell with fleece underneath and insulated gloves.

Murray,

If you're still around, could you explain how this works? In particular is the sweater/fleece completely sopping when you get back, or do you somehow let air in to keep dry?

I've been trying for years and I have yet to figure out how to do winter comfortably. Most my pals ride at the gym til spring.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Laszlo said:

I found smearing vaseline on the foot and other body parts goes farther than anything else to maintaining comfort in freezing cold conditions.
Lot of respect to folks riding in montreal, ottawa other snowy parts.I spent a lot of time riding in sub zero, and I really hate it actually; I spend way too much time cleaning bike, clothes and home afterwards. It's cool to prevail against the elements, but been there, done that- the cycling really suffers, speed and distance drops, hazards of icy surfaces and danger of hypothermia. I like to ride- I don't need to prove I am superman.

At most it gets down to 5-10 degress at night and in the early morning during winter here, I just put on an extra pair of cycling socks, and hey presto, it works. Otherwise I just put on a pair of arm warmers and have a t-shirt on underneth. Leg warmers get used a few times a year at the most.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
sashimono said:
Murray,

If you're still around, could you explain how this works? In particular is the sweater/fleece completely sopping when you get back, or do you somehow let air in to keep dry?

I've been trying for years and I have yet to figure out how to do winter comfortably. Most my pals ride at the gym til spring.

Cold moisture is our local problem. Many ride with a small fanny pack and a change of poly-pro top and gloves inside. Fenders on the winter bike are requisite. I've never found that a good, intense ride can be had under those conditions and do intervals indoors. Better for the head, too.

Old Danish cycling proverb:

"Ride into the winter, and you can ride through the winter"

Ride every day, and you'll make it through any weather. Much easier than stopping in September, and picking back up in January.

It rains a lot here, cold drizzle all winter. Sometimes it snows, or is just cold. Those days the powerstretch works best. Wet days, it's rain gear. And when it's really raining, even GoreTex doesn't keep everything out.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
scribe said:
I am sold on the winter shoes. Standard shoes are made to breath and that is no good under cold and especially with rain/snow. Also, I've found additional socks to actually restrict blood flow inside of a much tighter shoe and the cold sensation just seems to intensify.

Yeah, do NOT cram extra socks under a regular cycling shoe. Whether it's the cramped blood vessels, the lack of an air barrier, or both - this is one quick way to cold feet. I have several friends who use the Lake or Northwave winter boots, all of them love them. I still use the oversock and bootie... both systems seem to work.

Another SoCal old person here. The very few times it gets down to the 40s I will put on wool sox and booties for the feet, fleece tights, long fingered gloves and a wool jersey.

Don't have the Lake winter shoes, but I do have some of their road shoes and I can second RDV4ROUBAIX's comment about the BOA closure system, very nice.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Had my first winter of "proper" winter riding last winter - being my first year in Ottawa. And I have to say that it was an absolute blast!!! I was lucky that I could make a commute to work that covered a moderately maintained path and then a trip across a park that was hardly maintained. Used the cross bike the whole time (although the MTB got a few runs in the late autumn and early spring) - mainly cos I could fit fenders and studded tyres to it. (It was my first experience of snow riding, so I was overly cautious - next winter will be just ordinary cross tyres.)

I enjoyed the extra workout of riding through the snow and the challenge of trying to stay upright across the park. Some of the days I do have to confess that the park became more run than ride - mainly when we'd got more than 15cm of snow overnight and it hadn't consolidated.

As for gear - surprisingly little. A couple of thermals and a bike shirt, topped off with a good winter jacket (team issue from friends who ride Pro Tour - not the sort of thing that we can buy, so probably a bit warmer than most), thermal tights, windstop gloves and a couple of pairs of socks. Neoprene booties came out below -20 only. Only other concession to the cold was to cover the face with a thin layer of vaseline to cut the cold.

Riding stopped about -25 - due to not having a good enough chain grease to stop it freezing and jumping - and if we got a decent snow fall that made the trip just that little too much like a 13km long sand pit ride!

Training didn't happen as such over winter - in part because, as Elapid noted, the prime training ground in the area became a series of ski trails ... and I got majorly hooked on XC skiing!!!!!! :)

Coming from NZ - where winter means wet, windy, wet, wet, gray, wet and - just for good measure - more wet, the Ottawa winter was a pleasure. It was dry, mostly sunny and the wind chill effect was actually surprisingly easy to dress against. Honestly, the coldest winter riding (or any winter sport) I have ever done has been in NZ (where I have always ridden year round - even when I was a kid going to school). This is not because the temperature is that low, but because the cold is so damp. My worst ride was a 90min winter MTB ride where I needed the 40km drive home with heater raging and a warm shower afterwards to stop shivering. That wet cold is a killer ...

Can't wait to head back up to the Great White North again in the new year ... hope there's still a bit of snow down when I get there! :)

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
This one looks a bit cheaper and perhaps has more flex.

http://www.lakecycling.com/mx140-p-108.html

mx140_black_orange_lg.jpg

and road

http://www.lakecycling.com/cx140-p-112.html

cx140_black_red_lg.jpg

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
Ok, I'll take the chance to rub it in...
I love winter riding, when I get up at 6 for a ride it is below 80 F rather than above. Last couple of days it has dropped to 70 F at night, a real pleasure. No more overheating...

Actually, I lived 30 years in Oregon and Washington and miss winter sports, but not wet and cold winter riding. I have wool jerseys in storage.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
usedtobefast said:
we don't have snow here dude...i will go with covers.but the bags are way
better than Vaseline. if you have heat issues with the bag, just cover the front of the foot, thereby allowing for breathing. it works just to keep the toes warm. never actually used the whole foot method, for the problems you
highlighted.

I didn't mean to be disrespectful in posting contradictory advice; my apologies, but even with gore tex socks in winter, when you have snow, ice, slush or freezing rain there is the problem of water seeping down the cuff into the foot; I had to cut drain holes in the bottom of my expensive goretex socks; dry cold is far less difficult than wet; but frozen foot syndrome seems to affect different people differently each.

TRENDING THREADS