• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Wonderboy: The Movie

As a film fanatic I'm always interested in watching a good story.

There is a documentary coming up.
http://blogs.indiewire.com/thompson...trong-documentary-biopics-to-the-front-burner

But I'd like to see a dramatization of the story. Here are some questions.

- What should be the title of the movie?
- What should be in the story?
- Which actors are going to play the main roles: Armstrong, Bruyneel, USPS riders, Verbruggen, McQuaid, wives, lovers, etc?
- Should Robin Williams or Sean Penn be one of those actors?
- Add your own question.

Personally, I'd like to see the story starts when LA was a teenager.
I need to think about who I'd like to play those roles.

As for titles I can suggest:

- Wonderboy
- Winning at All Costs
- Winning No Matter What
- Rise and Fall of a Hero
- The Story of a Disgraced Cyclist
- The Bully, The Cheat and The Doper
- Psycho: Run, Don't Walk

Doing some casting research:

Matt Damon or Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Lance Armstrong
Woody Harrelson could have been perfect, but he's a bit older.

Robin Williams as Johan Bruyneel

Poster
28a85qf.jpg

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Here are some of my immediate picks

LA.....................Christian Bale
Landis................Matt Damon
Ashenden...........Jeff Novitzky (for authenticity)
Paul Kimmage......Gabriel Byrne
Fuentes.............Benicio del Toro
Shumi................Anthony Hopkins
Pat McQuaid.......Mel Gibson
Tyler Hamilton.....Leo Dicaprio
J Vaughters........Guy Pearce

I'll stop there

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Neworld has some awesome choices. Guy Pierce and Gabriel Byrne... inspired!
cinteq, I could see Joseph Gordon-Levitt as JV more than as Lance.

The thing is, the characters are complex, the actors will need some serious acting chops. I'd like to see the script explore the "why" as much as show the story itself.
I also wouldn't mind it being shown from the point of view of someone else that was involved in the story rather than from Lance's point of view.

Casting...
Lance... Ryan Gosling
Kristin..... Jennifer Lawrence or if older Cate Blanchett
Betsy.... Michelle Williams (with dyed hair obviously)
Tyler..... Jeremy Renner (although could be a touch too old)

Russell Crowe as Kimmage?

Kim Bassinger as his Mum... or Cate Blanchett as his Mum if we go for a young actress for Kristin.... or Cate could play Kristin and his Mum. Ewww! ;)

Titles...
Don't Believe in Miracles, The Secret Race (if based on Tyler's book/Tyler's perspective)
but the best one, because it works on so many levels for this story is quite simple.... Yellow

Neworld said:
Here are some of my immediate picks

LA.....................Christian Bale
Landis................Matt Damon
Ashenden...........Jeff Novitzky (for authenticity)
Paul Kimmage......Gabriel Byrne
Fuentes.............Benicio del Toro
Shumi................Anthony Hopkins
Pat McQuaid.......Mel Gibson
Tyler Hamilton.....Leo Dicaprio
J Vaughters........Guy Pearce
Good ones, especially the ones bolded!

I have few more...
Jean Reno---------------Michele Ferrari
Tobey Maguire----------Tyler Hamilton
Ashton Kutchar---------Franki Andreu
Patrick Stewart---------Phil Liggett

I like Angie Harmon as Betsy Andreu.

cineteq said:
Good ones, especially the ones bolded!

I have few more...
Jean Reno---------------Michele Ferrari
Tobey Maguire----------Tyler Hamilton
Ashton Kutchar---------Franki Andreu
Patrick Stewart---------Phil Liggett

I like Angie Harmon as Betsy Andreu.

Patrick Stewart is far too erudite to be Phil Liggett. For the truly nonsensical ramblings of that maniac, I can't look past Keith Richards.

Jalina said:
cinteq, I could see Joseph Gordon-Levitt as JV more than as Lance.

Casting...
Lance... Ryan Gosling
Kristin..... Jennifer Lawrence or if older Cate Blanchett
Betsy.... Michelle Williams (with dyed hair obviously)
Tyler..... Jeremy Renner (although could be a touch too old)

Russell Crowe as Kimmage?

Kim Bassinger as his Mum... or Cate Blanchett as his Mum if we go for a young actress for Kristin.... or Cate could play Kristin and his Mum. Ewww! ;)

Titles...
Don't Believe in Miracles, The Secret Race (if based on Tyler's book/Tyler's perspective)
Good stuff.

Agree with Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Vaughters
Like Russell Crowe as McQuaid actually.

Finding an actor for Lance is not that obvious.

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
cineteq said:
Good stuff.

Agree with Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Vaughters
Like Russell Crowe as McQuaid actually.

Finding an actor for Lance is not that obvious.

So true about the right actor for Lance. That's why I like Gosling. He does that All-American good guy thing but has a lot of depth as an actor, can convey a lot of the undercurrent that would be needed to get Lance across... the charisma and personality combined with the narcissistic sociopath. Man, if done right, it's a role with Oscar written all over it!

I like Kevin Spacey for McQuaid. Age him up a bit. Spacey is good at doing slime with a smirk. Pat all over.

Jalina said:
So true about the right actor for Lance. That's why I like Gosling. He does that All-American good guy thing but has a lot of depth as an actor, can convey a lot of the undercurrent that would be needed to get Lance across... the charisma and personality combined with the narcissistic sociopath. Man, if done right, it's a role with Oscar written all over it!
Gosling might be able to pull it off actually. Bale is not a bad choice since he has the attitude, although I think he's too tall.

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Jalina said:
So true about the right actor for Lance. That's why I like Gosling. He does that All-NORTHAmerican good guy thing but has a lot of depth as an actor, can convey a lot of the undercurrent that would be needed to get Lance across... the charisma and personality combined with the narcissistic sociopath. Man, if done right, it's a role with Oscar written all over it!.

... Gotta plug the Canadian here. You may be right. My buddy lived beside him and a few years back we'd catch him leaving his townhome...such a nice guy. He would shoot the *** with us, laugh, talk about anything. He was so 'normal' I just can't see him portraying LA. But, you make very good points, so I'll concede.

I think Bale is 6'

PS: Love the Muppets idea.

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Neworld said:
... Gotta plug the Canadian here. You may be right. My buddy lived beside him and a few years back we'd catch him leaving his townhome...such a nice guy. He would shoot the *** with us, laugh, talk about anything. He was so 'normal' I just can't see him portraying LA. But, you make very good points, so I'll concede.

I think Bale is 6'

PS: Love the Muppets idea.

Yeah he is Canadian! Apologies! Most of his roles have been as Americans though. lol
I'm not opposed to C. Bale. Quality actor, and it has to be a very, very high quality actor to pull it off. Quite a complex role.

Directors? Eastwood? Although he may not want to do another sport movie. Affleck? He's building quite a rep as a director.
Kathryn Bigelow?
Scorsese? Marty loves a complex conspiracy storyline, although the body count may not be high enough for his liking!

I think we need two movies.... the serious, shooting for Oscar one and the parody one! :D

Jalina said:
Directors? Eastwood? Although he may not want to do another sport movie. Affleck? He's building quite a rep as a director.
Kathryn Bigelow?
Affleck, are you serious? Maybe he can play one of the USPS riders. I think Bigelow would do justice to the movie. I was impressed with The Hurt Locker.

Gosling, definitely in the lead for Lance's role.

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
cineteq said:
Affleck, are you serious? Maybe he can play one of the USPS riders. I think Bigelow would do justice to the movie. I was impressed with The Hurt Locker.

Gosling, definitely in the lead for Lance's role.

Yep, completely serious about Affleck to direct, not act in it. Gone Baby Gone, The Town, Argo. He's building a pretty impressive resume for a director.

(haven't seen Argo yet, but early reports are very, very positive)

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
I know there's a lot of attachment to "Wonderboy", but that really is a bit dated imho. How about a simple "LiveWrong."

Oh and Kristin Bell as any of the blonde mom-alikes.

Mar 26, 2009
Visit site
reginagold said:
I know there's a lot of attachment to "Wonderboy", but that really is a bit dated imho. How about a simple "LiveWrong."

Oh and Kristin Bell as any of the blonde mom-alikes.

I don't like "Wonderboy" as a title at all, since to the movie-going public it will seem like the focus will be on what an incredible teen triathlete LA was. Or another Marvel Comics film.

I like "LiveWrong" a lot more, since even this modification of the charity's brand is becoming popular, and of course the "cancer hero" angle will have to get a lot of screen time in the movie.

Or it could be a more arthouse-like film and have the more symbolic title of "The Yellow Wristband". In the first scene little Timmy is diagnosed with cancer and given a yellow wristband, which he promptly throws into the toilet. The rest of the movie flashbacks to tell the LA story and ends with finally explaining why that little cancer victim had no more respect for Livestrong.

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Baroh1488 said:
Lance Armstrong... Denzel Washington

Tyler Hamilton.... Ethan Hawke

oscars-actor-training-day-05-ss.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ktv9cY2RR00

(Lance explaining why doping is ok)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW0jm6i9U3M

(How Lance introduce his rookie teammates to doping)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy37hjPUFWo

(Lance and US Postal celebrating)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3Q_h5cwhsw

(When Lance finds out he has no supporters left and he is going to loose his titles)

oh my god, this post is amazing

TRENDING THREADS