• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Word Filter/Censorship

A

Anonymous

ok.. can something be done about the world filter... yes, fine censor the expletives, or the common ones... but....

**** van ****...?

are we not even allowed to discusss mary-friggin-poppins... or cycle through dutch landscapes.. :eek:

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
The censorship is a bit too much. A picture of Judith Arndt flipping the bird at the Olympics was removed I presume because it was offensive. However that photo was from the Cyclingnews coverage of the 2004 Olympics. If this kind of silly micromanaging is going to go on I'm not sure I want to participate in this forum.

A

Anonymous

well personally, i just wanted to be able to tell the story of my mate ****, who last year was cycling happily along a **** in holland, when his attention was drawn to a group of children happily playing with there balls. as his head turned to watch the balls he failed to notice that three chickens and a large **** had wandered into his path, they where being chased by a large pussy cat that had been hiding in a bush, and had run out into the road :( He noticed them at the last moment and swerved, into the path of a large ****el engined tractor... he fell to the floor, banged his head and fell into unconsiousness.. as he lay there groggy, he heard a voice, "****" "****" it said.. "****.. wake up, its fanny, wake up ****"... his eyes slowly adjusted to the light and he saw his girlfreind fanny staring at him.. ****, said fanny, "you made a bit of a boob,.. did you not see the **** being chased by the pussy that was hiding in the bush".. **** half heard her words but was distracted by his son, jack who was climbing on the cupboard, trying to get a closer look at the picture of a donkey, or was it an ***, that was hanging on the wall.. "jack, get down" shouted fanny.. "off, now, Jack.. im not going to tell you one more time.. " growing angry, "jackoff" she screamed.. jack screamed "**** you *****" he screamed at his mum and stormed out of the room..

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Filters are good; they are devices of mental exercise.

They make you think more creatively on how to get around them and still express yourelf.

Sure, I hate the idea of anyone telling me what language I can and can't use; I'm an adult, full and well grown. But then, I don't like to hear certain language from others, either. And there are words I won't allow to be used in my home, by adults or anyone.

So there is the issue; whose forum is it? Yours or someone else's?

ATAC50 said:
Filters are good; they are devices of mental exercise.

They make you think more creatively on how to get around them and still express yourelf.

Sure, I hate the idea of anyone telling me what language I can and can't use; I'm an adult, full and well grown. But then, I don't like to hear certain language from others, either. And there are words I won't allow to be used in my home, by adults or anyone.

You have serious problems when you cannot even write the name of the previous chief of WADA.

The stupid thing is that there are English speakers from three different areas of the world posting here. Each area has its own slang, so banning a lot of this stuff ends up being absurd because the words don't mean the same thing or have differing levels of impact in different English dialects.

A-rse means nothing to someone in the U.S. while the use of a-ss is okay on regular network television. D-ick is not quite polite but it also shows up on U.S. television while **** does not. P-iss, as in p-issed off, shows up everywhere. Pussy would not be used on regular TV but fanny would be used in a totally different context than it would be in the UK.

EDIT: Look at the above it looks like c-ock may have been added to the filter. I thought I used the term c-ock-up in a post before and it went through okay.

Mar 3, 2009
Visit site
Epicycle said:
The censorship is a bit too much. A picture of Judith Arndt flipping the bird at the Olympics was removed I presume because it was offensive. However that photo was from the Cyclingnews coverage of the 2004 Olympics. If this kind of silly micromanaging is going to go on I'm not sure I want to participate in this forum.

Wow, sounds like someone on the team has too much time on their hands. Can you provide me with a link to the thread you're referring to please?

I'm curious to check that one out. We have had issues with people posting images from other websites which can pose rights issues, but I can't see any way this one could be an issue.

Cheers
Greg Johnson

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
Apparently Puritanical fuq-tard-ery is more important than stopping blatant idiocy about slander.

You know, I have a grasp of English well above that of your average human. However, the phrase "all aspects of the situation were entirely convoluted such that there was no possible way a resolution could quickly be achieved" only comes close to "I was fuqed" in the way it succinctly and sometimes fully explains a situation.

Circumventing this censorship is about creativity. It is about getting creative with phonetic spelling (i.e. fuq) or using symbols to your advantage (i.e. sh!t, or @$$).

Is it really okay for younger more offend-able audience members to learn from BigBoat about how <insert a name of any cyclist> is doping and teach the youth of the world that crapping on your fellow man without proof is fine but reading scatological verbiage is the worst thing ever?

A

Anonymous

can someone please remove s.p.o.o.f. from the list of banned words.. its rididulous..

brightstorm said:
filtering is automatic though. its built into vbullettin. CN editorial wading through forums is definitely manual.

Of course it is auto. The problem is the huge number of words, many of which are fairly innocuous, that are being filtered.

I don't think the pic disappearing was actually done by a moderator. It might have been a hot linked pic.

A

Anonymous

BroDeal said:
Of course it is auto. The problem is the huge number of words, many of which are fairly innocuous, that are being filtered.

I don't think the pic disappearing was actually done by a moderator. It might have been a hot linked pic.

darn.. i had such a great vision of someone working at CN whos job it was to go around the forum day and night changing all the bad words for asterisks...

i think spoo.f is a little ridiculous.. who says po.of now anyway
di.ck van dy.ke cant be discussed
or di.ck pound

i think its time for common sense to prevail...

block out the big five, f___, S____ , C_____ B_________, T_____ and leave the rest.. people are only sidestepping them anyway with missspellings or puntuation..

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Farkinhell, it wouldnt let me post b.u.t.t. as in headb.u.t.t., its obviously some puritanical US filter.

I belong to heaps of forums and this is the most sensitive filter I have come across.

Lets see if it lets me post pussy, p.u.s.s.y. as in puddy cat. Odds on it wont let me!

Geeze thata amazing, I can say pussy but not ****!

mickkk said:
Farkinhell, it wouldnt let me post b.u.t.t. as in headb.u.t.t., its obviously some puritanical US filter.

Nope. A puritanical aussie filter. I did not know such a thing existed. An american filter would never filter out things like @rse.

The filter software must be horribly unsophisticated if it cannot distinguish between b-utt and headb-utt.

A

Anonymous

you can say pussycat, blue-tit, and fanny craddock, but you cant say sp.oof or the bloke from mary poppins..

theres no logic..

i wonder if you can say dildo :eek:

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
It might be tough to do, but is there any way that we could set our own profanity filter (ie. on a user by user basis)? Say a section under our user profile where we could check whether we want a profanity filter or not.

As weird and wonderful as the word filter is - it is designed as a way of keeping profanity off the boards - why would you give someone the ability to switch it off and F-bomb to their hearts content?

Surely it's much more fun to allow for the creative among us to fool the filter and still be able to talk about Mary Poppins boyfriend D!ck Van D!ke or what ever else takes our fancy. :rolleyes:

I don't think this is going to be a priority to fix but will remain a source of constant amusement for all to enjoy. :)

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
180mmCrank said:
Surely it's much more fun to allow for the creative among us to fool the filter

So you, as a mod, are telling us we can use dirty, dirty language :eek: if we can get around the filter?

SWEET

Will it really make any difference what I say ;)

I imagine I will still be spending my evenings deleting some of the more colourful use of Anglo Saxon.

But for the record I find there are times when strong language is helpful to make a point but 99% of the time it is used it IMHO dilutes the point being made. So on balance I tend to recommend the avoidance of profanity.

The only exception to which is when using a pedal spanner when I find copious amounts of foul language is always required :rolleyes:

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
I concur that the word filter is a bit aggressive. I tried to post something about a Japanese rider named Taiji Nishitani and the word filter put this up --> Ni****ani . I guess this was because the middle of his name contains s, h, i and t consecutively.

TRENDING THREADS