• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

World Championships 2024: Men's Road Race (September 29)

Page 63 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Amazing race.
Still trying to digest.

And sometimes I don't understand a word of the negative vibes on this forum.

IMO so many details of pure enjoyment.
To say I was entertained is an underestimation.
A race for the ages like ive seen many say already but that there was something else weve never seen before. The end. I truly wonder what the naysayers are telling themself after this, its really close right?:sweatsmile:

What Pogacar did here and what a race exciting to the end when they starting to gain and he never got more than 1.30 with 80-90 km to line. Amazing race indeed!! Truly something weve never seen before.

It was like a football match with one team leading 4-0 after 20 minutes and never looking back. No matter how brilliantly the winning team is playing, it would never be regarded as a historic match (unless you're a big fan of that specific team of course).
Disagree on that completely, it will be remembered like when Milan crushed Cruyffs Barcelona 4-0 in the Champions League final or when Germany destroyed Brazil 7-1 in the World Cup semi-final. One sided games that are etched into the pantheon of unforgettable performances. Is there anyone who watched the Germany-Brazil game that will ever forget it?

Disagree on that completely, it will be remembered like when Milan crushed Cruyffs Barcelona 4-0 in the Champions League final or when Germany destroyed Brazil 7-1 in the World Cup semi-final. One sided games that are etched into the pantheon of unforgettable performances. Is there anyone who watched the Germany-Brazil game that will ever forget it?
100% this one will go down for the ages for sure and something noone will forget. This is history just and many will remember it as the day he become the best and something weve not been close to see. What a amazing race indeed and will stick for ages.

Reactions: Zoetemelk-fan
While I agree to some extent, the fact that Pogacar has been winning 7-1 all season makes it a little bit less interesting. You can say this is the greatest performance in a cycling world championship in recent times, but for me it's far from the best in terms of entertainment value. Mendrisio was miles ahead. Harrogate and Glasgow too.

And not forgetting that as of 2022, Annemiek van Vleuten is the only woman to attain the female equivalent of cycling's triple crown.

It can be argued that Catherine Marsal already achieved it in 1990, but one of the many differences between men's and women's cycling is of course that you usually don't have to explain/defend whether or not something was a GT.

The 7-1 match stood out because it was a surprise. If Germany had won all matches with that margin, it would have been a boring tournament.

While I agree to some extent, the fact that Pogacar has been winning 7-1 all season makes it a little bit less interesting. You can say this is the greatest performance in a cycling world championship in recent times, but for me it's far from the best in terms of entertainment value. Mendrisio was miles ahead. Harrogate and Glasgow too.
Well I never said it was super entertaining, it was memorable because it was super impressive and an all time performance. I get that people don't like super dominant performances, this applies to any sport. In athletics, Sydney McLaughlin and Mondo DuPlantis are the GOATs in their events and crush their rivals making their events a borefest, but you still have to admire the greatness that is happening in front of your eyes.

Reactions: hayneplane
If never having more than a one-minute gap is a 4-0, then I‘m confused about the sport of football. It‘s more like a 1-0 where the opponent has way more players (like 11 vs 7) but the undermanned team wins.
This pretty much sums up my feelings, basically making me almost unable to contain myself for pure excitement, all the way.

I think it's a big mistake to make comparisons to e.g. Pogi's display (and pre-race picking) in Strade Bianche.

Partly due to the WC race has more distance, partly because several favourites and outsiders are extra determined for the magic rainbow jersey, partly the ingredient of this once a year special team composition comes into play.

Moreover, in my eyes it was only really decided after the last descent and the last 9km, where I still had the infamous black cat crossing the road in my mind.

Your description fits very well with my POV watching the race with frayed nerves.

Pogi's long range attack was amazing, right into the history books.

But besides, IMHO the race itself was purely amazing.

Reactions: Alfie Diggin
The problem is that "talent" is relative in cycling. If you can push more watts than your opponents, you probably win. It's not like Pogacar has the technical skills of Roger Federer, Lionel Messi or Simone Biles. Cycling is about suspense and nice landscapes - not much more than that.
That’s no revelation—ball sports typically require more specific skills and technique than most endurance sports. Weight-bearing endurance sports still require some technical expertise—as with distance running, rowing, cycling for example—but if if someone doesn’t have the “engine” they can’t be at the elite level.

And even in ball sports natural gifts, like hand-eye coordination or body type, play a huge role and are combination genetic/training attributes just like high VO2max and recovery ability are for cyclists.

Last edited:
The 7-1 match stood out because it was a surprise. If Germany had won all matches with that margin, it would have been a boring tournament.
Well it was you that brought up football and ironically are now moving the goalposts, from originally a team winning 4-0 to a team doing that all the time.

Like I said, Pogacar winning was predictable, but winning from 100k out was not that predictable. Evenepoel, and Van der Poel have both said the attack was suicide so they were clearly not expecting it either, which is what makes it so impressive to witness.

Why do all these forum members get banned? On the day of the World's no less. It's really weird to catch up on threads and seeing a bunch of us suddenly cancelled out. Ok, there are rules, and moderation is necessary, but we never get an explanation or context why these decisions are made. A bit sad, really.
OK, so off-topic, I just hope my presumptions are right:

That the forum consist of impartial and clear-thinking moderators, simply do their job in relation to threads or posts that my eyes miss to see.

What a insane race and what did i just watch. What is it really left to say about him

Pogacar and this race will go down with the rest this season will go down in the history not only for the result but also the fashion of it and in 50-100 years people will talk about Pogacar in ways which are hard to imagine.

Thats just it and what will happen no matter if your fav rider lost or not. He is in a league of his own over anyone in the history of this sport.
Look, I didn't even have a fav rider here. Well, MvdP perhaps, but he did about as well as could be expected. On the whole, I was entertained today. And I like Pog's style on the bike. But could you and others just please stop shouting and shoving down our throats that this is "THE BEST PEFORMANCE IN HISTORY", the "GOAT" or any of those other hyperboles?

I get it, you're a fan. And I'm glad for you, I truly am. But you probably weren't around during the 90s and 00s. Forgive me for holding out on celebrating this exceptional feat for the time being.

Why do all these forum members get banned? On the day of the World's no less. It's really weird to catch up on threads and seeing a bunch of us suddenly cancelled out. Ok, there are rules, and moderation is necessary, but we never get an explanation or context why these decisions are made. A bit sad, really.
If judged by the posts that I have seen posted today that have since been deleted, then all I can say is that it is for a mix of reasons in different ends of the scale.

Well, to be fair, Pogi's 2024 is one of the best, if not the best single-year performances in history. I think the panache he showed really added to the glory of his wins. Speaking solely for myself as a cycling fan, I much prefer riders like Pog over the usual GC guys who sit on the wheels of their super-domestiques until the last possible minute.

Well, to be fair, Pogi's 2024 is one of the best, if not the best single-year performances in history. I think the panache he showed really added to the glory of his wins. Speaking solely for myself as a cycling fan, I much prefer riders like Pog over the usual GC guys who sit on the wheels of their super-domestiques until the last possible minute.
There's a whole spectrum inbetween though. And the way riders are physically built plays a part in that.
Some are just better built for hanging on and outsprinting everyone at the finish. I'll never hate the Roglic's or Valverdes for maximising their capablities that way.

(*edit* But I just realised you were talking about sitting on the wheels of their super-doms. Yeah no, I don't like that either)