• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

World Championships Innsbruck 2018

Page 41 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Logic-is-your-friend said:
According to De Cauwer, Van Moer only recently started doing ITT's so his progression may not be so strange in that regard. Very good race, he'll be delighted with silver.

Bjerg boss.

Lotto Soudal should sign Van Moer as pro rider so he can train and learn from Campenaerts

congrats to Bjerg

Re:

According to De Cauwer, Van Moer only recently started doing ITT's so his progression may not be so strange in that regard. Very good race, he'll be delighted with silver.

Bjerg boss.

Maybe, but he already showed a lot of TT potential last year with a 2nd place (same time as Leysen who came 1st) at the nationals beating guys like Cras en Philipsen. He also won a Belgian "test TT" last year if I remember correctly.

Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
DNP-Old said:
Red Rick said:
Does Bjerg have a pro contract for next year?
With Axeon, yes.
Do they ride any bigger races? I'm not really up to speed on the pro conti scene.

Anyway, kid is super young. Big prospects for classics as well?
Tour of California is the only WT event. Bjerg was 6th in the ITT this year.

Other than that they ride a lot of the american .1 and .HC stage races in late summer as well as some of the smaller belgian classics in spring and september

When I look at the start list for Sunday I see a lot of riders who haven't shown much this year, but who fall into the category: you never know, if he has a good day... E.g. Spilak, M. Frank, Boasson Hagen... There's always one rider who has a good WCh after a bad season. On the other hand I'm surprised that Denifl isn't on the list. What happened to him? Last year he won a Vuelta stage (ahead of Contador) on a comparable course.

samhocking said:
Same course, but Juniors are on restricted gears of course, so 7.93m / 52x14t and therefore not directly comparable.
Right. I often forget this. Not directly comparable, but if a junior has a better or same time as a U23, you can conclude that he was stronger.

On this course, there seemed to be quite a few sections where grinding a bigger gear could gain you some time though. So, the juniors might not come close enough to compare.

samhocking said:
Same course, but Juniors are on restricted gears of course, so 7.93m / 52x14t and therefore not directly comparable.
Right. I often forget this. Not directly comparable, but if a junior has a better or same time as a U23, you can conclude that he was stronger.

On this course, there seemed to be quite a few sections where grinding a bigger gear could gain you some time though. So, the juniors might not come close enough to compare.
With certainty you can say that he rode up the hills faster because he was stronger, but then again maybe the juniors will be more fresh for the hills, because they cannot step on the pedals when it's slightly downhill. It's difficult to compare, but I agree that having heavier gears will always be an advantage on a course like this. Question is how much

Cance > TheRest said:
With certainty you can say that he rode up the hills faster because he was stronger, but then again maybe the juniors will be more fresh for the hills, because they cannot step on the pedals when it's slightly downhill. It's difficult to compare, but I agree that having heavier gears will always be an advantage on a course like this. Question is how much

U23 can shift down, right? They have the choice to grind a bigger gear, but they aren't obligated to. Juniors can't shift higher if they wanted to. Or am i missing something? These guys aren't riding fixed gears, are they?

Cance > TheRest said:

U23 can shift down, right? They have the choice to grind a bigger gear, but they aren't obligated to. Juniors can't shift higher if they wanted to. Or am i missing something? These guys aren't riding fixed gears, are they?
I think there's an upper limit to the biggest gear they can ride :eek:

Red Rick said:
I think there's an upper limit to the biggest gear they can ride :eek:
Yes, that's what i meant, juniors can't ride as big a gear as the U23, but the there is nothing stopping the U23 of riding a smaller gear. Hence what i meant, that when comparing times, the juniors are always at a disadvantage, since they can't grind the big gears on sections where it would be beneficial.