• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

World Championships preview thread

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
wouldn't stand a chance on asphalt sprint either way... this is Vos territory
all that Brand could do was to make the race super hard a hoped to break Vos in the process but Marianne was just too strong today for that to happen

Agree - Brand did all she could; on that course there isn't anywhere to make a difference technically.....she just had to hope Vos cracked; but it was never happening.

Agree - Brand did all she could; on that course there isn't anywhere to make a difference technically.....she just had to hope Vos cracked; but it was never happening.

Yeah, race went pretty much as expected. Brand tried her best, but on a dry course like that Vos was favourite. Race definitely missed the U-23s, Betsema and Worst, might have been a slightly different dynamic. In the race for Bronze I was split, I wanted to see a non-Dutchie on the podium and Persico has been really improving, but Alvarado has had such a tough season, I also wanted to see her get a medal, but more bad luck crashing. She must be gutted, but I hope she gets back to her best for next season.

wouldn't stand a chance on asphalt sprint either way... this is Vos territory
all that Brand could do was to make the race super hard a hoped to break Vos in the process but Marianne was just too strong today for that to happen
She did that right. Then she try and get Vos to pull by stopping close to the finish. But just gave up too easily and pedalled on the front again.

When you take such a sprinter to the line you sit on no matter what. If you lead out you give yourself 0%chance to win

Reactions: stonerider
I saw a comment on Twitter last week wondering whether she made a mistake going Elite so soon; she is still only 20, while Pieterse, Van Empel & Van Anrooij have stayed U23.
Just an observation on Blanka Vas. She isn't a good runner. She struggles on any course with a lot of running, although this wasn't an issue on the World Championship course today. She just wasn't as good as Voss and Brand...but nobody else was either.

But if I was her coach and if she was going to continue to pursue CX racing, I would have her concentrate on some run training.

Reactions: Barkintheeye
Vas may not have been as strong as earlier in the season leading into the WC, but this was still by far her worst performance yet. Even on a less than perfect day you'd expect her to end up in the top 10 in this field, so it was probably both a physical and a mental struggle for her out there.

She's got a plenty of time to develop though, and unless she has issues during the race, I certainly don't think she'll finish 17th in Hoogerheide next year.

TRENDING THREADS