• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

World Number 1

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
18-Valve. (pithy) said:
Evans will be up there, too. The Tour and the Worlds road race suit him after all. He could have his best CQ season yet.

He could for sure have a very good season, but CQ wise he's already 220 points behind last year. And he still has to earn points comparable to winning Tour de Romandie and finishing second in Critérium du Dauphiné to be able to keep up with last year.

That said, my numbers are probably pretty low so if we go by these, he could certainly be in the top 6. I just don't think he will.

Hugo Koblet said:
He could for sure have a very good season, but CQ wise he's already 220 points behind last year. And he still has to earn points comparable to winning Tour de Romandie and finishing second in Critérium du Dauphiné to be able to keep up with last year.

That said, my numbers are probably pretty low so if we go by these, he could certainly be in the top 6. I just don't think he will.

He can top 3 regardless of your numbers, though. :D You're betting against someone who hasn't been outside the top 6 for the past 5 years. He was in the top 3 in 4 out of those 5 years.

I know he's behind last year's numbers, but that was expected and is, IMO, irrelevant with the Olympics, the Worlds and perhaps Lombardia as extra goals.

Afrank said:
Seems like it's going to be hard for Boonen to get back in the lead if Rodriguez can perform well at the vuelta.

Purito still has dauphine, burgos, Vuelta, Worlds and Lombardia where he could score good points in. he could fain in all of them but there is potential for 300+ in all of those and even twice that in Vuelta.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Purito still has dauphine, burgos, Vuelta, Worlds and Lombardia where he could score good points in. he could fain in all of them but there is potential for 300+ in all of those and even twice that in Vuelta.

I believe that he won't be at the Dauphine, but otherwise yes he still has many opportunities to score points.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:

Little cigar does not ride the Dauphiné. At least that's what he said. He's still on the reserve list.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
There are also possibilities if someone (Evans, Menchov, Wiggins) ride and perform at the Tour and Vuelta, Sagan could continue to rack up stage wins...it seems fairly open to me.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
At this point imo Rodriguez won it. The only one able to challenge him will be Wigins ( wins Dauphine, Tour, Podiums ITT Olympics, ITT Worlds ). Nibali and Sanchez in smaller sense but I can't see them winning a lot.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
hrotha said:
What about Sagan? Olympics RR, WC RR, Montreal, Quebec, San Sebastian.

Yea, indeed. But there is always somebody there that will beat him it looks this season and to get this rankings from Purito you really have to win.

I don't think he'll win WC RR from the Spanish guys. Olympics definitely, only minus is that he's doest have any helpers at all.

I am yet to see someone do double with Montreal and Quebec, but I guess he can get 300-350 points if he races there. He didnt last year.

San Sebastian is definite, but will he race there ?

And with Purito addiding points to his tally at the same time, I can't see SAgan winning this. Wiggo would have to be really lucky to win this from him too.

But for Wiggo it would be amazing achievement to be even 2nd in CQ Ranking.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Gloin22 said:
Yea, indeed. But there is always somebody there that will beat him it looks this season and to get this rankings from Purito you really have to win.

I don't think he'll win WC RR from the Spanish guys. Olympics definitely, only minus is that he's doest have any helpers at all.

I am yet to see someone do double with Montreal and Quebec, but I guess he can get 300-350 points if he races there. He didnt last year.

San Sebastian is definite, but will he race there ?

And with Purito addiding points to his tally at the same time, I can't see SAgan winning this. Wiggo would have to be really lucky to win this from him too.

But for Wiggo it would be amazing achievement to be even 2nd in CQ Ranking.

Are you sure? Purito hasn't won much.

For me it's between Purito, Boonen, Sagan and Wiggins.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
will10 said:
Are you sure? Purito hasn't won much.

For me it's between Purito, Boonen, Sagan and Wiggins.

What I meant is that he has a nice gap already and to close that gap down you will have to win because Purito is more than likely to score points too in most of the same races as likes of Sagan. And winning gives you that margin you need to close him down. But I'd agree with the 4 you mentioned.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Bump
1. WIGGINS Bradley 2427
2. SAGAN Peter 1767
3. RODRIGUEZ OLIVER Joaquin 1720
4. BOONEN Tom 1623
5. NIBALI Vincenzo 1475

Olympic TT to put Wiggins out of sight?

TRENDING THREADS