• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

World Politics

Page 190 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Susan Westemeyer said:
The way this thread is developing is merely supporting all my reasons not to allow political discussions.

Everyone keep calm, stay polite, etc. Or else this gets closed down and no new similar thread will be allowed.

Susan

Now don't go trying to hold us all accountable for OAR's tourettes. You should not hold him accountable either, he can't help it.
This thread has gone through a lot worse than this and to breeze in, mod guns ablazing threatening to close it up if the children can't behave is more than a little insulting. We have had many strong disagreements here and have always made up afterwards (in a manly way). Just let this one go and focus on BPC and his 60 (and counting) aliases.

Scott SoCal said:
I quite honestly do not see how you leap from that to Bush being a lying murderer.

Is it at all possible that, in the immediate aftermath of 9-11, Bush actully believed Iraq to be a grave threat? Many elected reps thought so.

"But the phony "Bush lied" story line distracts from the biggest prewar failure: the fact that so much of the intelligence upon which Bush and Rockefeller and everyone else relied turned out to be tragically, catastrophically wrong."

So Bush has what he thinks is volumes of credible intel going back a few decades and suddenly something pops up (your story) a month or so before the war starts and he is supposed to do what exactly? My guess is the info was evaluated and likely didn't outweigh what they thought they knew.

So this makes him a lying murderer...

How do you live in such confusion? It really is incredible the type of misinformation that has shaped your world view, and which you rather exchage as fact.

Anyone who is familiar with the New American Century of the 90's, the neocon manifesto, understands the strategic considerations that were already laid-out for the Middle East before the second Iraq War. The ideology of so called preventive war, a new organization of mideast states to favor US oil interests, and hence to maintain US global hegemony, were all laid out in the document. Rumsfeld, Wolfovitz, Cheney, et al, were merely cynically realizing that which had already been planned, in theory, in this document.

The entire affair post 9-11 was a way toward its realization. Iraq the means for it. It is a fact that Iraq had nothing to do with 9-11, in its supposed connection with Al Qaeda, but Saudi Arabia. It is a fact that Saddam had no weapons of mass destruction, nor where there any legitimate proofs that he could have had them any time soon. Hence the entire neocon prefabricated and propagandistic basis for why America went to war in Iraq was a big sham, a colossal falacy fed to the ignorant American masses. It is a fact that the neocon orchestrators of the war had no true regard for the Iraqi state, nor the Iraqi people, when Saddam's regime fell, as was evidenced by the US military's close monitoring and repairing of the oil wells, but zero effort to protect Iraq's culture: the Babalonian Museum in Bagdad, with all its priceless artifacts, was looted savagely. This, together with the all too keen interests in saving the oil supply, becomes a grotesque symbol that sums up many other bad actions and explains why America had in fact shown little regard for the Mesopotamians and their civilization at large after setting the region on fire, no more than Saddam. This is one reason why the Iraqi people could not see such a happy change post-Saddam as you claim they had, and thus why the US failed to be viewed as a real liberating force as in Europe during the WWII era, where a cultural basis did exist, as well as the Europeans having requested US intervention. Whereas no US intervention was requested by the Iraqis to overthrow Saddam. Since there was nothing really cultural about the second Iraq War, in the sense of bringing democracy to the region as an underlying basis for the conflict given that everything was cynically founded upon economic interests, no more, even the American propaganda that tried to demonstrate otherwise failed among the Iraqis. Evidently the Iraqi people aren't so stupid and this is why they have never been accomodating. Then there would be the arrival of Islamic terrorists in the territory, and therefore their murderous car bombs to disrupt the democratic process and to attempt to shape new Iraq as they saw fit in the power void left in the wake by Saddam's fall, Al Qaeda supporters who of course previously hadn't ever been there under Saddam. The Iraqi people were thus caught between two opposing views of the future of their nation: one US, the other Jihadist. Caught in the middle of a chess game of death, violence and destruction in which they had never asked to be willing participants, the Iraqis have had to bear the overwhelmingly heavy sacrifices for the game's outcome in the blood they have spilt for the interests of others. This in addition to the blood they had spilt during 30 years of Saddam, though most of it in the 80's with US support to the Iraqi dictator. All of which of course is morally disgusting. Add in a few stray US missles on Iraqi schools and apartment complexes, and the hypocritical insult to their suffering increases ten fold. The Iraqi people's fate was tragically sealed by powers and a set of strategic circumstances that had overwhelmed them, had never considered them, but only their own power-crazed and greedy interests. Though not having had to personally experence the tragedy, Scott SoCal, it ultimately remains an abstraction to you and allows you to misinterpret the evidence and to try to excuse the unexcusable, though the totally explainable, in all of its nefarious shadows and criminal actions.

The entire affair was thus destined to have been mismanaged as horribly as it was by the Bush adminsitration, because based on a criminal hypocrisy which tried to pass-off vulgar economic and political interests as a just democratic cause in removing a bloody dictator. America was able to begin to realize the neocon plans for the region by capitalizing on the "shock" of 9-11 as a base exuse and "justification" for military aggression and acted so precipitously, because they, the neocons, knew that they could only have gotten away with their dirty plans for so long; that is in the still remaining time that America is the world's only superpower, and therefore would be able to permit itself such war mongering without too much international resistance. At the same time a lack of real international consensus, an indication of the superpower's incombant decline, demonstrates how the neocons knew they were treading on thin ice and so had to organize everything in a mad, brainless rush. Which they did, and the disastrous consequences have been plainly seen since.

As I have stated before since America had once fed the same bloody dictator Saddam in the 80's by supplying him with arms, because the cynical strategic and economic interests in the region made that the convenient thing to do: the entire Bush war propaganda of bringing democracy to the region in 2003 was not credible. Especially because the trigger point that started it all, 9-11, had nothing to do with Iraq and Saddam, who were completely estranged form Bin Laden and Al Qaeda at the time. The US neocons in government then were just a bunch of rouge criminals who have the murders of hundreds of thousands of Mesopotamians on their consciences, first when they armed Saddam against Iran, then when they went about their mad, precipitous rush to invade Iraq so that Hallibuton and its like affiliates would be gauranteed a few more decades of further profits. That's the truth.

I can't see, therefore, Scott SoCal, as you seem to do, any truth in all that crap you write about in regards to the so called real intentions and so called real culpability, which is of course pathetic.

In regards to my sense of humor, or lack of it. I do not write here to be humorous, but to inform about very important issues. The crimes of the Bush administration, which go even beyond Iraq when one considers the economic downfall of financial market capitalism (which I despise) at Wall Street - which the goverment then did nothing to prevent or at least impose new regulations while there was still time to limit the incredible damage that was done and indeed had even permited the financial sharks to speculate on the downfall for profit! - have caused a great, colossal mess, which the Obama adminsitration is now having to deal with. While I may not be in agreement with each of Obama's measures to clean up the great, colossal mess left in the wake of Bush, I recognize what a daunting task the former has been given as the heir of an ugly presidential inheritance in all that the latter's administration did wrong and for the unpunished crimes they have commited.

I therefore reserve my sense of humor for my family and friends, not when discussing crimes against humanity with folks like yourself. You see, Scott SoCal, war is never to be treated lightly, especially when it is seen as a frivolous move on the chess board of international strategic interests by a nation state who believes that its ends always justify the means. This is the greatest sin of the American neocons who were in power when the second Iraq War broke out, for the gravity of actually going to war and the real consequense for going to war, which are always devestating to the local population, meant nothing to them. To them they were merely annoying trifles that had to simply be overcome to in order go to war, which is all they cared about, Scott SoCal. The neocon world view as elucidated in the neocon political writings, had, since the 90's, informed the world of their belicose intentions to maintain US global hegmony and so the Iraq debacle was not an extemporaneous reaction in the aftermath of 9-11, as they claimed it was, but something which they had been actually planning to do for years and were only waiting for the right opportunity. Within this political-military-historical construct is the neocon propaganda to sell the war best explained, which to them was always Machiavelian in its sinister realpolitik underpinnings, that became ultimately expressed as a perverse game to "shock and awe" a defenseless people in the pursuit of their strategic intensions in the region, which basically means oil. A defenseless people who have been made to pay a hefty price by those who only were playing a cruel game, indifferent to the human tragedy that their game has caused.

In regards to the criminal negligency of BP recently, it all boiled down to using a cheaper cement product to seal the pipe, which they knew was quite risky, to therefore save money to get the rest of the oil out as quickly as possible and hurry-over to a new oil platform they wanted to exploit.

The cement didn't prevent the gas from seeping out, and the rest is tragic history.

Next argument.

A

Anonymous

rhubroma said:
Another post in the tradition of "War and Peace"

I get it Rhub. You have the answers, there's no room for any other possibilities, yours is the only opinion. Must be lonely at your altitude.

Scott SoCal said:
I get it Rhub. You have the answers, there's no room for any other possibilities, yours is the only opinion. Must be lonely at your altitude.

I have no answers, am just thinking objectively about things and have read good sources. If your vision is clouded on these matters, then make all the necessary corrections. Only at high altitude do we see the panorama in all of its sublime bewilderment.

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:

Why don't you read "The Way of the World" by Ron Suskind. He illustrates that the intelligence was a fabricated sham by interviewing many within the intelligence agencies. The guy is also very far from a liberal.

Even people within the Bush administration in the diplomatic ranks came to believe that the only way we could solve most of the problems in the world is through massive redeployment of the Peace Corps and huge foreign aid with the expectation of nothing in return.

Open your mind a little pal.

Oh, btw, Rhubroma, nice long post but you got one thing wrong. You alluded to GWB and Cheney having the Iraqi deaths on their conscience. Quick correction, sociopaths don't have a conscience.

A

Anonymous

rhubroma said:
How do you live in such confusion?

<text snipped for brevity>

The entire affair post 9-11 was a way toward its realization. Iraq the means for it. It is a fact that Iraq had nothing to do with 9-11, in its supposed connection with Al Qaeda, but Saudi Arabia. It is a fact that Saddam had no weapons of mass destruction, nor where there any legitimate proofs that he could have had them any time soon. Hence the entire neocon prefabricated and propagandistic basis for why America went to war in Iraq was a big sham, a colossal falacy fed to the ignorant American masses. It is a fact that the neocon orchestrators of the war hanod true regard for the Iraqi state, nor the Iraqi people, when Saddam's regime fell, as was evidenced by the US military's close monitoring and repairing of the oil wells, but zero effort to protect Iraq's culture: the Babalonian Museum in Bagdad, with all its priceless artifacts, was looted savagely. This, together with the all too keen interests in saving the oil supply, becomes a grotesque symbol that sums up many other bad actions and explains why America had in fact shown little regard for the Mesopotamians and their civilization at large after setting the region on fire, no more than Saddam. This is one reason why the Iraqi people could not see such a happy change post-Saddam as you claim they had, and thus why the US failed to be viewed as a real liberating force as in Europe during the WWII era, where a cultural basis did exist, as well as the Europeans having requested US intervention. Whereas no US intervention was requested by the Iraqis to overthrow Saddam. Since there was nothing really cultural about the second Iraq War, in the sense of bringing democracy to the region as an underlying basis for the conflict given that everything was cynically founded upon economic interests, no more, even the American propaganda that tried to demonstrate otherwise failed among the Iraqis. Evidently the Iraqi people aren't so stupid and this is why they have never been accomodating. Then there would be the arrival of Islamic terrorists in the territory, and therefore their murderous car bombs to disrupt the democratic process and to attempt to shape new Iraq as they saw fit in the power void left in the wake by Saddam's fall, Al Qaeda supporters who of course previously hadn't ever been there under Saddam. The Iraqi people were thus caught between two opposing views of the future of their nation: one US, the other Jihadist. Caught in the middle of a chess game of death, violence and destruction in which they had never asked to be willing participants, the Iraqis have had to bear the overwhelmingly heavy sacrifices for the game's outcome in the blood they have spilt for the interests of others. This in addition to the blood they had spilt during 30 years of Saddam, though most of it in the 80's with US support to the Iraqi dictator. All of which of course is morally disgusting. Add in a few stray US missles on Iraqi schools and apartment complexes, and the hypocritical insult to their suffering increases ten fold. The Iraqi people's fate was tragically sealed by powers and a set of strategic circumstances that had overwhelmed them, had never considered them, but only their own power-crazed and greedy interests. Though not having had to personally experence the tragedy, Scott SoCal, it ultimately remains an abstraction to you and allows you to misinterpret the evidence and to try to excuse the unexcusable, though the totally explainable, in all of its nefarious shadows and criminal actions.

The entire affair was thus destined to have been mismanaged as horribly as it was by the Bush adminsitration, because based on a criminal hypocrisy which tried to pass-off vulgar economic and political interests as a just democratic cause in removing a bloody dictator. America was able to begin to realize the neocon plans for the region by capitalizing on the "shock" of 9-11 as a base exuse and "justification" for military aggression and acted so precipitously, because they, the neocons, knew that they could only have gotten away with their dirty plans for so long; that is in the still remaining time that America is the world's only superpower, and therefore would be able to permit itself such war mongering without too much international resistance. At the same time a lack of real international consensus, an indication of the superpower's incombant decline, demonstrates how the neocons knew they were treading on thin ice and so had to organize everything in a mad, brainless rush. Which they did, and the disastrous consequences have been plainly seen since.

As I have stated before since America had once fed the same bloody dictator Saddam in the 80's by supplying him with arms, because the cynical strategic and economic interests in the region made that the convenient thing to do: the entire Bush war propaganda of bringing democracy to the region in 2003 was not credible. Especially because the trigger point that started it all, 9-11, had nothing to do with Iraq and Saddam, who were completely estranged form Bin Laden and Al Qaeda at the time. The US neocons in government then were just a bunch of rouge criminals who have the murders of hundreds of thousands of Mesopotamians on their consciences, first when they armed Saddam against Iran, then when they went about their mad, precipitous rush to invade Iraq so that Hallibuton and its like affiliates would be gauranteed a few more decades of further profits. That's the truth.

I can't see, therefore, Scott SoCal, as you seem to do, any truth in all that crap you write about in regards to the so called real intentions and so called real culpability, which is of course pathetic.

In regards to my sense of humor, or lack of it. I do not write here to be humorous, but to inform about very important issues. The crimes of the Bush administration, which go even beyond Iraq when one considers the economic downfall of financial market capitalism (which I despise) at Wall Street - which the goverment then did nothing to prevent or at least impose new regulations while there was still time to limit the incredible damage that was done and indeed had even permited the financial sharks to speculate on the downfall for profit! - have caused a great, colossal mess, which the Obama adminsitration is now having to deal with. While I may not be in agreement with each of Obama's measures to clean up the great, colossal mess left in the wake of Bush, I recognize what a daunting task the former has been given as the heir of an ugly presidential inheritance in all that the latter's administration did wrong and for the unpunished crimes they have commited.

I therefore reserve my sense of humor for my family and friends, not when discussing crimes against humanity with folks like yourself. You see, Scott SoCal, war is never to be treated lightly, especially when it is seen as a frivolous move on the chess board of international strategic interests by a nation state who believes that its ends always justify the means. This is the greatest sin of the American neocons who were in power when the second Iraq War broke out, for the gravity of actually going to war and the real consequense for going to war, which are always devestating to the local population, meant nothing to them. To them they were merely annoying trifles that had to simply be overcome to in order go to war, which is all they cared about, Scott SoCal. The neocon world view as elucidated in the neocon political writings, had, since the 90's, informed the world of their belicose intentions to maintain US global hegmony and so the Iraq debacle was not an extemporaneous reaction in the aftermath of 9-11, as they claimed it was, but something which they had been actually planning to do for years and were only waiting for the right opportunity. Within this political-military-historical construct is the neocon propaganda to sell the war best explained, which to them was always Machiavelian in its sinister realpolitik underpinnings, that became ultimately expressed as a perverse game to "shock and awe" a defenseless people in the pursuit of their strategic intensions in the region, which basically means oil. A defenseless people who have been made to pay a hefty price by those who only were playing a cruel game, indifferent to the human tragedy that their game has caused.

Generally when one is debating and making such declarative statements one will support their argument with corroboration of one's position with documentation. I guess, with your surerior intellect, this does not apply to you.

I have highlighted some of your post above and would like to know how those declarations square with this one:

I have no answers, am just thinking objectively about things and have read good sources.

No, Rhub. You have all the answers but curiously you have no questions. As an educator, I would have expected better. Your world view is set in concrete and there's no room for any dissention.

You clearly are not used to being challenged which, again, is disappointing considering your profession. But I am not one of your students and excuse me for not ignoring my life's experiences and just take your word. You are not here to inform or explain anything other than your world view which, quite frankly, anyone reading your posts understands quite well.

A

Anonymous

buckwheat said:
Why don't you read "The Way of the World" by Ron Suskind. He illustrates that the intelligence was a fabricated sham by interviewing many within the intelligence agencies. The guy is also very far from a liberal.

Even people within the Bush administration in the diplomatic ranks came to believe that the only way we could solve most of the problems in the world is through massive redeployment of the Peace Corps and huge foreign aid with the expectation of nothing in return.

Open your mind a little pal.

Oh, btw, Rhubroma, nice long post but you got one thing wrong. You alluded to GWB and Cheney having the Iraqi deaths on their conscience. Quick correction, sociopaths don't have a conscience.

Fair enough. I'll politely ask you to do the same.

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:
Fair enough. I'll politely ask you to do the same.

You claim you'll open your mind and accept documentary evidence, but it's apparent you'll argue anything despite a consensus of expert opinion against you.

The whole foreseeable and predictable thing went completely against you and you'll still argue those points.

Should be as plain as day to anyone who can read or with any logic whatsoever.

You come out with some inanity that I should be able to predict the next catastrophe.

Your mind is so closed so you can stick to your conservative talking points its beyond comprehension.

I might as well be talking to a wall.

If things such as the BP disaster weren't foreseeable and predictable, why would other countries have more stringent safety requirements like drilling relief wells at the same time as the exploratory well?

A

Anonymous

buckwheat said:
You claim you'll open your mind and accept documentary evidence, but it's apparent you'll argue anything despite a consensus of expert opinion against you.

The whole foreseeable and predictable thing went completely against you and you'll still argue those points.

You come out with some inanity that I should be able to predict the next catastrophe.

You're mind is so closed so you can stick to your conservative talking points its beyond comprehension.

If things such as the BP disaster weren't foreseeable and predictable, why would other countries have more stringent safety requirements like drilling relief wells at the same time as the exploratory well?

Dang. Just when I thought we were making progress.

despite a consensus of expert opinion against you.

I actually read your posts. I read your reference material. I read info that contradicts as well, but since we don't agree on much then I'm closed minded?

You never hear about what was forseeable and predictable that govt regs and good corporate decisions prevented in terms of disasters/catastrophe's/problems. That's not to say that everything is forseeable or preventable. I guarantee you that when the next disaster happens you will 1) Blame it on greedy business interests, 2) scream "more regulations" at the top of your lungs and, 3) In the immediate aftermath you will be able to identify several things that should/could have been done to prevent whatever situation has occured. Your hindsight is amazingly good.

You are the one that keeps pointing out how preventable these situations are. Since you seem to have so much insight I just thought you might want to take a leadership role and stop the next calamity. It's called illustrating absurdity by being absurd.

Yes, this thread is a monumental waste of time. So that just leaves the entertainment value. That ain't much, is it?

Scott SoCal said:
Generally when one is debating and making such declarative statements one will support their argument with corroboration of one's position with documentation. I guess, with your surerior intellect, this does not apply to you.

I have highlighted some of your post above and would like to know how those declarations square with this one:

No, Rhub. You have all the answers but curiously you have no questions. As an educator, I would have expected better. Your world view is set in concrete and there's no room for any dissention.

You clearly are not used to being challenged which, again, is disappointing considering your profession. But I am not one of your students and excuse me for not ignoring my life's experiences and just take your word. You are not here to inform or explain anything other than your world view which, quite frankly, anyone reading your posts understands quite well.

Cheers to you Scott SoCal, I'm only waiting for you to educate me on a better analysis than what I privided to you. Not being an investigative journalist, which isn't my profession as you correctly point out, it isn't up to me to provide all the first hand documentation. Though I would have you know, my dear Scott SoCal, that I have read all the investigative journalism and am aware of all the first hand sources upon which I have based my analysis, even if it's not the case to site each source in such an informal context as this forum merely to please you, whose only defense is to attack me for a lack of documentation and not on the substance. I mean we're not writing a disertation here. I am also aware that you aren't up to date on these sources, because they were never made available to you, though this isn't my problem. For years I have been reading all the things that you have not and this has given me the upper hand, and explains your disadvantage in confronting all the arguments with me. You talk about documentation, but offer no alternatives, because my analysis is connected to what really happened and how things actually took place based on my sources in the dailies. I also provided many concrete points, based on these sources which were available to me, mostly in foreign languages that you can't read.

A

Anonymous

rhubroma said:
Cheers to you Scott SoCal, I'm only waiting for you to educate me on a better analysis than what I privided to you. Not being an investigative journalist, which isn't my profession as you correctly point out, it isn't up to me to provide all the first hand documentation. Though I would have you know, my dear Scott SoCal, that I have read all the investigative journalism and am aware of all the first hand sources upon which I have based my analysis, even if it's not the case to site each source in such an informal context as this forum merely to pease you, whose only defense is to attack me for a lack of documentation. I mean we're not writing a disertation here. I am also aware that you aren't up to date on these sources, because they were never made available to you, though this isn't my problem. For years I have been reading all the things that you have not and this has given me the upper hand, and explains your disadvantage in confronting all the arguments with me. You talk about documentation, but offer no alternatives, because my analysis is connected to what really happened and how things actually took place. Although I provided many concrete points, based on the sources which were available to me, mostly in foreign languages that you can't read.

Oh how utterly convenient for you.

Yours is a world of moral relativism, selective outrage, situational ethics and feelings. "Certainty is the enemy of decency and humanity."

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:
You never hear about what was forseeable and predictable that govt regs and good corporate decisions prevented in terms of disasters/catastrophe's/problems. That's not to say that everything is forseeable or preventable. I guarantee you that when the next disaster happens you will 1) Blame it on greedy business interests, 2) scream "more regulations" at the top of your lungs and, 3) In the immediate aftermath you will be able to identify several things that should/could have been done to prevent whatever situation has occured. Your hindsight is amazingly good.

You are the one that keeps pointing out how preventable these situations are. Since you seem to have so much insight I just thought you might want to take a leadership role and stop the next calamity. It's called illustrating absurdity by being absurd.

What you're not understanding, whether it is intentional or not, is that it's not me pointing these things out.

I'm just telling you what the Challenger commission said, or that Ralph Nader has built a career on exposing corporate malfeasance, or that Erin Brockovitch's law firm won like 300 million in a lawsuit. There's tons of these cases. Toyota, BP, Ford Pinto's exploding, the Corvair, and the common thread is that the suits knew there was a problem before and during the ongoing "accidents" and tragedies and they did nothing other than to cover it up and continue to sacrifice safety to profits. It's the same old story over and over and over.

You keep up with this nonsense about good regulations, but you know as little about most of these industries as I do, but you think you can be the arbiter of what is a necessary reg what what's not.

Are you following the BP catastrophe? Did you see the 60 minutes piece? Just about all of this $hit could have been prevented and the employees on the rig knew it.

Then you support these Cheney types and their nonsense about secret meetings with Big Oil. WTF is that? This secrecy is ok with you. The SCOTUS has run amok and you have no problem with this?

I'm not going to continue with you because there is absolutely no reasoning with you.

Scott SoCal said:
Oh how utterly convenient for you.

Yours is a world of moral relativism, selective outrage, situational ethics and feelings. "Certainty is the enemy of decency and humanity."

Nothing convenient to me, but most inconvenient to you.

The truth is that when the Iraq war broke out, and in the period leading up to it, I was very attentive to read quite asiduously all the critical analysis regarding the Iraq war, which of course greatly concerned me, in all the dailies: and therefore everything about Saddam, its bases in the neocon ideology and its propaganda, its political connections with the great US oil companies and consequently the conflict of interests of the war, Bush Sr., Bush Jr, Rumsfeld, Wolfovitz, Cheney and so forth, the myth of constructing a war after 9-11, etc. My principle sources were Italy's la Repubblica newspaper and il Venerdì, Spain's El Pais, France's le Monde, Britain's London Times, the International Herald Tibune and the New York Times.

At home Nigergate was a major cause for reflection, and la Repubblica did an excellent investigative journalistic job of reconstructing all the false basis upon which the Bush administration cynically used a Roman embassy document they knew was a fake to try and connect Saddam to nuclear intentions, which lead to the ruining of Valerie Plame's career. In all of the articles I read was it clear, because everybody knew over here and was allowed to speak openly about it, that the Bush administration was lying to the American nation and to the world to sell the war, which was about oil, that Saddam had no capacity whatsoever to realize a nuclear arsenal and that his regime was not at all associated with Bin Laden. Saddam's legacy with US interests in the region going back to the 80's, his falling out with the neocons that lead to the devestation in Mesopotamia was all meticulously documented in the articles.

So there. Naturally I did not save everything I read, though I did in fact keep a few articles that I believed were particularly appealing and only recently gave them up when cleaning and reorganizing my files and work notes, as they didn't seem worth holdng on to any longer after 7-8 years, especially since my girlfriend kidingly poked fun at me about having kept them. Why do you hold on to all these dreadful articles, she said, you will never make use of them again. She was right, with all of the material I have to go over in my work every day which has nothing to do with the second Iraq War, but Roman buildings and Roman art, allthough I naturally try to be informed about everything all the time, which is why I kept a significant number of those articles in my files before having recently given them up.

Yet they provided me with the memories to form the basis of my above constructed analysis in regards to our topic, which I stand by completely and have every conviction that it is a valid analysis, Scott SoCal. Now if I were having to write an article about such an analysis, it wouldn't take much time to look into these dailies' on-line data bases to review all the investigative journalism I once read, but that wasn't the case here. And besides, I actually have a pretty keen memory (or else I wouldn't be in the profession I'm in) and believe my critical skills to not be insufficient in back reporting these memories in a meanigful way in what I wrote free-style above. Feel free, however, to do the research yourself if you don't believe me. This is what is meant by critical thinking.

Finally it is simply a reality that the type of journalism that was being reported in Europe portrayed a very different picture of how things went down in terms of the Iraq War and its aftermath at the time, even if you have had no first hand basis with such different journalistic approaches as I have. I'd also say with much greater liberty to report the facts and make the hard criticisms. Thus words like propaganda, failure, debacle, facade, misinformation and so forth, were simply a part of the journalistic nomenclature here that informed people about what was going on and, therefore, about all the things that weren't being discussed so frankly, when not being actually covered-up, in the American press to allow the war to happen. It was plainly stated over here, in addition, how the US press in the build-up to the Iraq War was short changing the American people buy not telling them what we plainly knew, namely what their governement was really up to and hence mis-informing them to that same government's great convenience, which was your convenience Scott SoCal, but decidedly not the Iraqi peoples'. None of which is, of course, my fault. As if living outside US territory and thus having access to all the foreign press readily at one's hands could be to blame for our differences in world view and your short-sightedness.

As far as my moral relativism goes, I much prefer it to the absolute and so-called divinely invested moral propriety of Bush and his administration. Funny how those who believe they hold the monopoly on values, are usually the ones who hypocritically go about causing the most distruction and inhumane suffering as history has shown time and time again. Not having such a severe code to uphold, Scott SoCal, which of course easily becomes a tool of repression, I am at libery (this, yes, is true freedom) to go about pretty much in peace with my neighbors.

Cheers.

PS: For a succinct synthesis of my views, you would do well to read the introduction to Grey's Anatomy by John Gray, who is one of Britian's most prescient contemporary philosophers. The rest of the work you can take it or leave it, though, as they say.

Scott SoCal, in light of your criticism: in today's dailies we read the expert analysis of Pascal Acot, researcher at the Centre National de la Resherche Scientifique, in regards to how the "pace and corrective measures of the catastrophe are still in the hands of those that caused the disaster," which is extremely grave, and how "the representatives of the international ecological associations, ours included, who came to offer emergency help were sent away!" How there has thus been "an orchestrated cover-up to try and hide, as much as possible, from the point of view of images and news, the immense scope of the what's taking place off the coasts of Louisiana and Florida."

Have the American people been informed about the international ecological emergency aid that was turned away by the US officials?

Or how about a rather interesting viewpoint, and I'm sure to you a most heretical one because breaking from the Western-Israeli orthodoxy, on the foreign policy of Iran in Russia Today by the colunmnist Mideast-Caucasus expert Sergei Markedonov (trans. in la Repubblica) entitled Iran, between Rhetoric and Reason. The reporter explains the causes for Iran's hostility toward Western interests in the region, not in light of Islamic radicalism, as is often played up in the orthodoxy, but rather as a very pragmatic intention to stabilize its borders for its own national security by, for example, supplying 46.1 percent of the economic assistance to rebuild Afghanistan's economy after years of war. And sends an admonition to the West in his preoccupation with the external pressures being put on Iran, which he quite reasonably fears will serve only to unite Iranians "on a patriotic-ideological basis:" and so argues that a more effective approach could be to "involve Iran in the important international projects. The reconstruction of Afghanistan is the most urgent and realistic objective. Iran's involvement is crucial and would help, so the Russian columnist claims, monitor Teheran while stimulating an internal transformation. In this case the external menace would be minimized consenting the reformists to utilize an entire arsenal of pragmatic and constructive measures which Iranian politics actually offers in the Caucases when divested of the regime's rhetoric. It's within this scenareo, not the Western orthedoxy of so called Axis of Evil or the Iranian rhetoric of so called "The Great Satan," that Iran might be able to revise its foreign policies, even in regards to Israel."

Is any analysis of dealing with Iran along more realistic and pragmatic lines such as these offered by Markedonov being seriously discussed by the US body politic? Or is the only real option being considered the inevitability of another war?

I read these articles and these are the questions I ask myself, Scott SoCal.

I'm off, for a while.

A

Anonymous

buckwheat said:
What you're not understanding, whether it is intentional or not, is that it's not me pointing these things out.

I'm just telling you what the Challenger commission said, or that Ralph Nader has built a career on corporate malfeasance, or that Erin Brockovitch's law firm won like 300 million in a lawsuit. There's tons of these cases. Toyota, BP, Ford Pinto's exploding, the Corvair, and the common thread is that the suits knew there was a problem before and during the ongoing "accidents" and tragedies and they did nothing other than to cover it up and continue to sacrifice safety to profits. It's the same old story over and over and over.

You keep up with this nonsense about good regulations, but you know as little about most of these industries as I do, but you think you can be the arbiter of what is a necessary reg what what's not.

Are you following the BP catastrophe? Did you see the 60 minutes piece? Just about all of this $hit could have been prevented and the employees on the rig knew it.

Then you support these Cheney types and their nonsense about secret meetings with Big Oil. WTF is that? This secrecy is ok with you. The SCOTUS has run amok and you have no problem with this?

I'm not going to continue with you because there is absolutely no reasoning with you.

My opinion is that regulations won't mean much in an environment rife with corruption. Corporate corruption and govt corruption. The BP situation is a tradgedy, even moreso if it turns out the 1) BP was not doing everthing to prevent a blowout and 2) Regulators were being purchased to look the other way. Take a look at the banking/financial turmoil that still going on. Corporate heads rolled. Meanwhile Frank, Dodd and others just keep n making policy.

The Supremes running amok is not a recent development.

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
Intentional blurring?

Scott SoCal said:
My opinion is that regulations won't mean much in an environment rife with corruption. Corporate corruption and govt corruption. The BP situation is a tradgedy, even moreso if it turns out the 1) BP was not doing everthing to prevent a blowout and 2) Regulators were being purchased to look the other way. Take a look at the banking/financial turmoil that still going on. Corporate heads rolled. Meanwhile Frank, Dodd and others just keep n making policy.

The Supremes running amok is not a recent development.

There will always be corruption. Anyone with any power can be corrupted.

Police are routinely corrupted. We still need them, but we can be wary of them too. That does't mean we don't follow their instructions in normal police matters.

The policy that Dodd in particular has been making has been skewed toward the corporations getting away with murder. Dodd's personal gains from his corruption should be prosecuted in reference to that sweetheart Countrywide mortgage.

From what I gather here, your take is that there are currently too many regulations. ChrisE criticized you earlier for shifting your position according to which way the wind blows, (he was less charitable) and I think your position on regulation does conveniently shift.

Here's an article on BP which illustrates them violating their own safety procedures with foreseeable consequences.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/30/us/30rig.html?hpw

The documents show that in March, after several weeks of problems on the rig, BP was struggling with a loss of “well control.” And as far back as 11 months ago, it was concerned about the well casing and the blowout preventer.
On June 22, for example, BP engineers expressed concerns that the metal casing the company wanted to use might collapse under high pressure.

“This would certainly be a worst-case scenario,” Mark E. Hafle, a senior drilling engineer at BP, warned in an internal report. “However, I have seen it happen so know it can occur.”

The company went ahead with the casing, but only after getting special permission from BP colleagues because it violated the company’s safety policies and design standards. The internal reports do not explain why the company allowed for an exception. BP documents released last week to The Times revealed that company officials knew the casing was the riskier of two options.
Though his report indicates that the company was aware of certain risks and that it made the exception, Mr. Hafle, testifying before a panel on Friday in Louisiana about the cause of the rig disaster, rejected the notion that the company had taken risks.

Three recent decisions of the SCOTUS are cause for almost complete distrust of that institution.

Bush v. Gore.

The SCOTUS would never have made the same ruling they made, had the positions of Bush and Gore been reversed. Had Gore been in the lead regarding the votes the SCOTUS would never have meddled in the Florida Supreme Courts decision to recount. Anyone who argues they would have violated their own "state's rights tendencies" is completely dishonest.

The Cheney Energy meeting case, Cheney v. USDC for District of Columbia (03-0475).

And Citizens United v. FEC.

May 23, 2010
Visit site
""The policy that Dodd in particular has been making has been skewed toward the corporations getting away with murder. Dodd's personal gains from his corruption should be prosecuted in reference to that sweetheart Countrywide mortgage.
""

Dodd in particular? Dodd doesn't even get mentioned in the top 10 of that Phil&Wendy Gramm invented mess. A countrywide loan with gratuitous terms? that's too cheap to mention. The real payouts are in cayman banks held by Republicans.

A

Anonymous

buckwheat said:
There will always be corruption. Anyone with any power can be corrupted.

Police are routinely corrupted. We still need them, but we can be wary of them too. That does't mean we don't follow their instructions in normal police matters.

The policy that Dodd in particular has been making has been skewed toward the corporations getting away with murder. Dodd's personal gains from his corruption should be prosecuted in reference to that sweetheart Countrywide mortgage.

From what I gather here, your take is that there are currently too many regulations. ChrisE criticized you earlier for shifting your position according to which way the wind blows, (he was less charitable) and I think your position on regulation does conveniently shift.

Here's an article on BP which illustrates them violating their own safety procedures with foreseeable consequences.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/30/us/30rig.html?hpw

The documents show that in March, after several weeks of problems on the rig, BP was struggling with a loss of “well control.” And as far back as 11 months ago, it was concerned about the well casing and the blowout preventer.
On June 22, for example, BP engineers expressed concerns that the metal casing the company wanted to use might collapse under high pressure.

“This would certainly be a worst-case scenario,” Mark E. Hafle, a senior drilling engineer at BP, warned in an internal report. “However, I have seen it happen so know it can occur.”

The company went ahead with the casing, but only after getting special permission from BP colleagues because it violated the company’s safety policies and design standards. The internal reports do not explain why the company allowed for an exception. BP documents released last week to The Times revealed that company officials knew the casing was the riskier of two options.
Though his report indicates that the company was aware of certain risks and that it made the exception, Mr. Hafle, testifying before a panel on Friday in Louisiana about the cause of the rig disaster, rejected the notion that the company had taken risks.

Three recent decisions of the SCOTUS are cause for almost complete distrust of that institution.

Bush v. Gore.

The SCOTUS would never have made the same ruling they made, had the positions of Bush and Gore been reversed. Had Gore been in the lead regarding the votes the SCOTUS would never have meddled in the Florida Supreme Courts decision to recount. Anyone who argues they would have violated their own "state's rights tendencies" is completely dishonest.

The Cheney Energy meeting case, Cheney v. USDC for District of Columbia (03-0475).

And Citizens United v. FEC.

Intentional blurring? I'm probably not smart enough for something like that. Just ask Rhub.

My position on regulations has not shifted. I don't feel the need to defend myself so I'm not going to.

BP violates their own safety procedures. How will tighter/stricter regulations keep that from happening? Nevermind, don't reply to that question.

I think one could point to several poor decisions made by the Supremes since at least the Slaughterhouse cases and that goes back nearly 140 years. The Supremes bowing to public and political sentiment has been around for a long time.

At any rate, I have wasted way too much time in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.