• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

World Politics

Page 501 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Cobblestones said:
Smallpox and CFCs were extremely cheap problems to solve compared to CO2 and climate change. Why do you think there's this pushback against climate change and a complete lack of consensus? Because literally everybody is going to be asked to make rather substantial sacrifices. The whole denier scene has been entirely funded by short sighted business interests and embraced by people who are not willing to sacrifice. There is denial not on scientific or even ideological or religious grounds (although they often provide the smokescreen) but simply because acknowledging the problem would mean, in consequence, to acknowledge the need for a fairly costly solution.
Oh I totally agree - the primary reason there is a current lack of political will is because politicians know that asking for the sort of sacrifices that are required is not going to be popular. I just meant that I don't agree that action re: climate change would require some sort of unique supranational entity - yes, the CFCs and smallpox programs were comparatively cheap, but they do show that collective action can be accomplished and can be effective when there is general agreement, and yes, given the complexities of the issue and the degree of sacrifice required, reaching general agreement on how to address climate change will be a whole different level, but I think it can still be done with existing political structures. I just don't think we're at the point where there's enough public pressure on politicians to do something about climate change because it's not yet a "daily" issue - the frog in the boiling water - and by the time there is the necessary pressure for action (society tending to be reactionary as opposed to precautionary) it'll be much too late.

With that, I again refer to Carter's "malaise" speech, wherein he, probably more than any major politician in the last half-century, pretty much told it like it was, and said sacrifices would need to be made. It is widely considered by historians to be one of the major things that sank his presidency.

No president, or major leader in any party since, has made the same "mistake".

ramjambunath said:
Thanks for the link. At least the "imaginary threat" hasn't led to an invasion so far.

As it would be a hilarious idea in the first place to believe that the russians wouldn't harshly react to the NATOs actions, it might atleast help to reinvent the picture of the good west and the evil russians.

The sad thing is that, in the logic of NATOs and Russias policy, what Rogosin said about "legitimate targets" was absolutly right...

Cobblestones said:
Nato jumped the shark?

Fogh Rasmussen criticizes Russian efforts to put up countermeasures to NATOs missile defense system near Kaliningrad. He claims the money would be better spent creating jobs in Russia and modernizing the country. :confused: Seriously, is Jon Stewart writing these speeches?

They want to evoke the impression that the Russians are the bad guys in this one I think. So Jon Stewart turned the other way around might just be the right speech writer.

Captain_Cavman said:
I was at one point trying to explain why GDP growth obtained through increasing debt is 'unreal'. I didn't have the time or patience but luckily someone else has!

http://www.golemxiv.co.uk/2011/12/the-hammer-of-debt/

The whole piece is good but this is the crux

The fact is that austerity is a given, it's inevitable. The only choice is whether you want austerity that makes the problem go away (do what Iceland did and default and refuse to bail out the banking sector) or austerity that just makes the problem worse (Quantitative easing, TARP, bailouts etc).

I think the blog misses the point that it's not that it "accelerates" growth (in terms of "productive debt") but that it allows to things to be brought inside a reasonable time frame.

Imagine if we couldn't get an education until we had earned enough to pay for it upfront. Or if every business venture was the result of the individual saving enough "capital", rather than debt financing. If it was like this, we would be half way through our productive lifetime before we completed our education, or the new business venture becomes outdated if they have to sit through the saving period.

Sadly this is not the dominant form of debt compared to the not so productive debt for consumption, and the evil debt for speculation.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
<snip>
Sadly this is not the dominant form of debt compared to the not so productive debt for consumption, and the evil debt for speculation.
of course, you're correct including the part i snipped...but even the 'evil debt for speculation' can have a positive role and (in my opinion should) remain legal and legitimate provided it's part of a well regulated and functioning free-market economy. capitalism is a proven wealth generator and would simply not be such without the speculative (or speaking plainly, high risk) nature of some financial instruments. speculation helps to spread the risk of doing business around.

the problem arises when debt speculators want to have it both ways and refuse to take responsibility for betting wrongly...

what have they done then ? well in some very few easy cases they broke the law and paid for that. in the majority of cases though they've succeeded through their powerful proxies to either change the law or invented (not yet illegal b/c of loopholes in laws) some new financials instruments (also based on more debt) that NOONE understands.

that's the core of the last 2 world economic disasters - solid investment firms supported by their govts plunged into the whirlpool of debt speculation.

gone was the old-fashioned capitalist sense of proportion and responsibility.

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Ferminal said:
I think the blog misses the point that it's not that it "accelerates" growth (in terms of "productive debt") but that it allows to things to be brought inside a reasonable time frame.

Imagine if we couldn't get an education until we had earned enough to pay for it upfront. Or if every business venture was the result of the individual saving enough "capital", rather than debt financing. If it was like this, we would be half way through our productive lifetime before we completed our education, or the new business venture becomes outdated if they have to sit through the saving period.

I interpreted the article as referring to Corporate and Sovereign debt rather than personal debt. But whoever it concerns, there is an element of speculation, i.e. the debtor is speculating that the investment will pay off both the initial loan and the interest in the long run. The creditor is speculating that the debt and the interest will be repaid. I don't see your dividing line between good and evil debt.

What is 'evil' is when, as python's spot-on reply said, loans are made and either (or both) parties know that the repayments can't be met and they go ahead anyway in the knowledge that a corrupt political process will see them compensated at someone else's expense.

As for the use of the term 'accelerating', I think you're being picky. By bringing 'things inside a reasonable time frame', you are increasing the rate at which, collectively, these 'things' happen. Not strictly what he said, but close enough for anyone to know what he means and move on.

Captain_Cavman said:
As for the use of the term 'accelerating', I think you're being picky. By bringing 'things inside a reasonable time frame', you are increasing the rate at which, collectively, these 'things' happen. Not strictly what he said, but close enough for anyone to know what he means and move on.

No, there's a difference. Accelerating implies that it the same growth without debt could always occur, it just takes longer - but both my examples clearly contradict this.

The debt for speculation I refer to isn't on whether or not a venture is going to be profitable (as there's always going to be the risk that a bad outcome occurs), but debt which is purely there as a gamble on finance and asset markets.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
blutto said:
...yessiree that is an awfully good temptation because it makes sense...especially considering some of the things DSK was saying just prior to the European implosion...in fact the European situation would have turned much differently if DSK was still in the loop...

...and can you guess where DSK was heading when he got pulled off the plane...to deal with the European implosion...

...the guy may have been a scumbag, but he got set up...and we will all suffer for that....and this whole affair was a coincidence ?????....

...ironic that that article was on Al Jazeera....did anyone see this article discussed on a major news outlet, like lets say Fox News....

Cheers

blutto

Al Jazzeersize vs FoxNews. Both are major news outlets! :D

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Glenn_Wilson said:
Al Jazzeersize vs FoxNews. Both are major news outlets! :D

...my mistake... that should have read major Western news outlets....though on second thought I also made the mistake of using Fox News as an example of a news outlet...now that was just plain dumb...gonna be nigh on impossible to live that down....

...my bad...

Cheers

blutto

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Ferminal said:
No, there's a difference. Accelerating implies that it the same growth without debt could always occur, it just takes longer - but both my examples clearly contradict this.

The debt for speculation I refer to isn't on whether or not a venture is going to be profitable (as there's always going to be the risk that a bad outcome occurs), but debt which is purely there as a gamble on finance and asset markets.

Pension funds are evil?

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
...and now for a few bed-time stories before everyone dozes off...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

And that brings me to last week.

According to other journalists’ reports, the Federal Reserve voted on Monday, Nov. 28, to approve a financial bailout for Europe using our dollars. That’s the same day that the stock market staged a strong rally, which turned out to be only a preliminary event to the 400-plus point surge the Dow would have two days later — after the rest of us found out about the European bailout.

Was it just a coincidence that the stock market rallied nicely on the day of the Fed vote? Or was information from that Fed’s Open Market Committee leaked by someone to friends on Wall Street?

Only a few people know what happened on Nov. 28.

But this much I do know: Whatever games are being played between Washington and Wall Street must stop, or the American capital markets will cease functioning. Nobody with any sense will participate in a market that’s controlled by greedy people looking out only for themselves.

The second thing I know: Journalists need to start doing their job in rooting out corruption like this.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------....from... http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article29921.htm

...and then this one...

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Hear the one about the Arab Spring in Saudi Arabia that nobody noticed?

No, this is not a joke. It is a real situation--and a cautionary example of what happens when Western governments and their media are more favorable to some "revolutions" than others.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

...from... http://smirkingchimp.com/thread/russ-baker/40059/the-saudi-arab-spring-nobody-noticed

...sleep tight....

Cheers

blutto

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
blutto said:
...and now for a few bed-time stories before everyone dozes off...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

And that brings me to last week.

According to other journalists’ reports, the Federal Reserve voted on Monday, Nov. 28, to approve a financial bailout for Europe using our dollars. That’s the same day that the stock market staged a strong rally, which turned out to be only a preliminary event to the 400-plus point surge the Dow would have two days later — after the rest of us found out about the European bailout.

Was it just a coincidence that the stock market rallied nicely on the day of the Fed vote? Or was information from that Fed’s Open Market Committee leaked by someone to friends on Wall Street?

Only a few people know what happened on Nov. 28.

But this much I do know: Whatever games are being played between Washington and Wall Street must stop, or the American capital markets will cease functioning. Nobody with any sense will participate in a market that’s controlled by greedy people looking out only for themselves.

The second thing I know: Journalists need to start doing their job in rooting out corruption like this.

Cheers

blutto

I wouldn't be too surprised if the market had prior knowledge about that, insider trading is not a new concept and is pretty widespread. As for the media doing its role in rooting out corruption, it would be part of their role but it's true nowadays to say that the media won't do this as their survival depends on the advertising of such large companies. It's the case everywhere, the Radia tapes scandal happened here, in which respected journalists were willing to act as brokers to an MNC's representative (Radia) to get the MP Radia wanted into the specified ministerial portfolio. I really don't see corporate fraud cases like this to be investigated by the media. It may be followed by the media after investigations have been opened but taking the initiative with this regard seems hard to envisage.

Am I the only one with whom the links are playing up. Can't open them for some reason.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Plenty to talk about today....I'll start with this, which will no doubt offend some of our Texans (and maybe others too;) ). This is the kind of stuff that makes the rest of the world shake its head in disbelief.

Gun control off the table as Congress feels heat from influential NRA

Little prospect of tighter regulation on guns, with America's powerful gun lobby arguing against new laws being introduced

Mexico's drug cartels have for years armed themselves courtesy of America's love for guns.

Many Americans, wedded to their right to own guns under the second amendment of the US constitution, are viscerally opposed to stronger laws to curb weapons trafficking, out of fear that it may prove to be the thin end of a wedge that they say will result in the government confiscating all firearms.

Some are wedded to their guns out of fear of crime. Others see them as a protection against his own government, a view rooted in the American revolution and buttressed today by suspicion of Washington as the "enemy" - a constant refrain from the Tea Party movement and right wing of the Republican party. But there are many others who strongly support gun rights because of a long tradition of hunting and shooting for sport.

Today, there are estimated to be about 250m guns in the US. One in four adults own a firearm, most of them men.

That is a formidable obstacle to those who want to see greater control of guns, although they have made progress at times.

The attempted assassination of President Ronald Reagan in 1981 spawned federal controls on handguns, including criminal background checks of buyers. In 1984, Congress passed legislation banning the sale of new assault weapons.

But despite tragedies such as the shooting at Columbine high school in 1999, in which 12 students and a teacher were murdered by two fellow students, gun regulation has generally been relaxed in recent years.

The assault weapons ban expired in 2004, and Congress has declined to renew it under pressure from the gun lobby. Over the past 30 years the number of states with a law that automatically approve licences to carry concealed weapons provided an applicant clears a criminal background check has risen from eight to 38.

Central to resistance to gun regulation is one of the country's most powerful lobby groups, the National Rifle Association, which argues that existing laws should be better enforced, not new ones introduced. The group, which has more than 4 million members, describes itself as a civil rights organisation because it says it is defending constitutional rights.

The NRA has played a significant role in the election defeats of members of Congress who dare to cross it, including, in 1994, the then speaker of the House of Representatives, Tom Foley.

The association spends millions to influence presidential campaigns. While its opposition to Barack Obama did not prevent him from being elected, it did have an impact on congressional races.

The result is that the president and leading Democrats are almost silent on the issue.

"Let's be honest here: There haven't been the votes in the Congress for gun control," a Democratic party senator, Charles Schumer, said on NBC earlier this year after the issue of gun control was raised again by the wounding of congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords and killing of six others in Arizona.

Under NRA pressure, Congress is considering legislation to make it easier to carry a concealed weapon and leading resistance to a ban on the sale of weapons at gun shows without checks.

Gun rights advocates have also won important legal victories in recent years.

The supreme court in 2008 upheld a lower court ruling that struck down a ban on handguns in Washington DC. The ruling affirmed that under the second amendment of the constitution, Americans cannot be prevented from keeping a gun in their home for defence.

As hardline as the NRA may seem, there are others who are more militant.

Armed militia groups have expanded rapidly since the 1990s and two high-profile killings by federal agents – at Ruby Ridge in Idaho in 1992 when an attempt to arrest Randy Weaver resulted in the death of his wife, as she held a baby, and his 14 year-old son; and the siege of the Branch Davidian ranch near Waco, Texas the following year, which ended with the deaths of 76 people, including 20 children.

Then there was the election of President Obama.

The NRA called him the most anti-gun candidate in American history. Speculation swept the more militant gun rights advocates that Obama planned to curb gun use by taxing guns and ammunition so heavily that ordinary Americans would not be able to afford them.

Firearm sales surged in the months after his election. Gun shops in parts of the country were stripped almost bare of some weapons and ammunition.

(My bold added)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/dec/08/gun-control-us-congress-nra

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Amsterhammer said:
Iranian TV has shown the first video footage of an advanced US drone aircraft that Tehran says it downed near the Afghan border.

Film and rest of story here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-16098562

A major embarrassment for US 'Intelligence'. Once the local CIA operative has identified its current location, we can expect a nocturnal attack of the killer drones to destroy this shiny yellow beast.:eek:

Authenticity of Iranian captured US drone questioned

Military expert says drone put on show by Iran's Revolutionary Guard looks like parade float and too intact for downed aircraft

Iran-US-drone-claim-007.jpg

The aircraft shown on Iranian television looked like the RQ-170 Sentinel made by Lockheed Martin, first spotted in Afghanistan in 2007. The same type of drone was used to provide surveillance of Osama bin Laden's compound in ****stan before the May raid that killed the al-Qaida leader.

However, John Pike, an expert on military hardware at the GlobalSecurity.org thinktank in northern Virginia, said it was highly unlikely the Iranians had the technology to wrest control of the drone's navigation and bring it down so softly that it was left with barely a scratch.

"It looks like a parade float. For one thing, it looked remarkably intact for something that crashed, and the wings are drooping the wrong way.

"On the real thing, the wings go up at the end. This one's wings droop down," Pike said.

Other weapons experts speculated that the US drone could have been brought down by a Russian jamming and electronic warfare system called Avtobaza which Iran is reported to have bought from Moscow in the past few months.

more here - http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/dec/08/authenticity-iran-captured-us-drone

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
And finally, today's big news. All of Europe understands the need for urgent and collective action in the face of the ongoing 'Euro-crisis'. All except the Brits, who once again savor their historic role as the odd man out - this time, because they need to 'protect' the UK's financial services industry, "The City". The Brits appear to be isolated, and to be perfectly honest, I'm so p!ssed off with their constant insistance on special, different, and favorable treatment, that I really would love to see the rest of the EU set them an ultimatum: - in or out, no more fence sitting. I hope that they and their pound will now gradually sink into historical insignificance. I've had it with the Brits, **** 'em.

I'll just post some headlines, there are in depth stories about the Euro summit all over the web.

UK isolation grows as others reconsider treaty

The 23 EU countries ignoring the UK veto have been joined by Hungary, Sweden and the Czech Republic, leaving Britain alone

The European question: will it be splendid isolation or miserable?

It's too early to gauge the impact of Cameron's EU veto but one thing is certain: things will never be the same again

All of E.U. but Britain backs new pact

New accord’s tough spending limits praised by ECB chief; Britain’s refusal to join shows growing rift.

The Birth of a Two-Speed Europe

At their Brussels summit, European leaders were able to agree on a fiscal union surprisingly quickly. But the new pact, which Chancellor Merkel had strongly advocated, has a crucial flaw -- Britain is not on board. Prime Minister David Cameron will not be able to prevent his country from becoming a second-class EU member.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Amsterhammer said:
Plenty to talk about today....I'll start with this, which will no doubt offend some of our Texans (and maybe others too;) ). This is the kind of stuff that makes the rest of the world shake its head in disbelief.

Gun control off the table as Congress feels heat from influential NRA

Little prospect of tighter regulation on guns, with America's powerful gun lobby arguing against new laws being introduced

(My bold added)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/dec/08/gun-control-us-congress-nra

Yeah congress has more problems than gun regulations. :eek: Let the laws in place be enforced just like the NRA lobby says! :cool:

Anyway the amount of gun buyers will go down in the future. (bright side) The young men who would in the past take to hunting or target shooting will not chose to do that anymore. They would rather do online gaming and pretend / play sick *** war games.

I do like my Prairie Panther from DPMS Firearms or my CAR15 from Colt. The AK that I have is a piece of crap pilfered from the sands of Kuwait sometime around 1990. I only kept that piece of junk for nostalgic reasons. ;)

Here is a good article about some interesting investments into the assault rifle industries.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/27/b...giant.html?_r=1&ref=cerberuscapitalmanagement

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
It's all preliminary reports so far and till the rescue efforts cease, there won't be a proper investigation into the matter. I woke up to this news but never thought it would be so bad.
From the posted article.
While the rescue operations continued the hospital authorities informed the fire fighters of a biomedical department containing radioactive materials for treatment of cancer patients.

“The fire is in the basement where there is source of radiation. We are trying to look into whether the fire has reached the source of radiation,” said an emergency service official pointing out that no radiation leakage has been detected so far.

According to the atomic energy regulatory unit, there has been no leak of radioactive leakage.

The worst bit is that the fire started at around 2.30am and the emergency fire services only received their first complaint at 4.10am and it is reported (not yet confirmed, and I take Indian TV channels with a pinch of salt) that they didn't arrive till nearer to 5am by which time it is reported to have become uncontrollable.

The staff arrested have been arrested have been charged under Section 304 of the IPC- culpable homicide not amounting to murder.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Gets worse and worse. Listening to official statements, the hospital comes off worst and they made mistakes in every step.

In September, fire safety authorities had inspected the AMRI hospital and recommended that the basement (where the fire originated) be converted back to its original use, an underground parking lot. The hospital seemingly has ignored this recommendation and continued to use it as a storage unit.

Preliminary investigations by the West Bengal government according to Trinamool Congress (the state's ruling party) MP Kalyan Banerjee in New Delhi, most of the victims died due to suffocation not due to burns. This isn't too surprising considering the plethora of chemicals that are present in a hospital. The surprising bit is that family members of a few of the deceased have claimed that hospital staff said at 3-3.30am that the fire wasn't a major one and that the patients would be safe. One family member of one of the deceased patient saw a fire at around 3am and requested the staff if the patient could be taken out of the hospital, the response was that the fire wouldn't reach the fourth floor of the hospital. A few hours later, the patient was confirmed dead.

The hospital also hasn't got proper access by road which delayed fire safety officials by some time.

The question that springs to my mind is, how could a hospital even get a license without proper road access.

Just found more clarification on the September fire safety inspection, it seems that the hospital was given a 90 day deadline for clearing the storage area and that had expired on the 6th of December.

Status
Not open for further replies.