• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

World Politics

Page 59 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
How much of your other materiel comes from the same sort of "fast scan"?

That is why I usually cut and paste - and include links. Of course you must have missed that I was not being serious at all here except to say that music is not an area where Americans find the urge to discriminate - apparently this liberal thinking has also spread to car buying as BroDeal has carefully explained.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:
Since when has AC/DC been American?
I said majority.
Scott SoCal said:
That's a pretty broad Anti-American statement don't you think? You can count me as one who thinks a lot of the Aussies, with you being a possible exception.

Sorry, i don't mean every single american especially as I have relatives in america. I was making it as a generalised statement. I was using music as an example. Here are the current ARIA (Australian music charts) charts for albums.

1. Susan Boyle (BRIT)
2. Michael Buble (CAN)
3. Powderfinger (AUS) - they are awesome
4. Twilight
5.GLEE
6. Foo Fighters (USA)
7.Black eyed peas (usa)
9. Robbie Williams (brit)
10. Taylor Swift (USA)
11 Them Crooked Vultures (USA)
12.Michael Jackson (USA)
13.P!nk (USA)
14.John Mayer (USA)
15.RATED R Rihanna (USA)
16.Rod Stewart (BRIT)
17.Mumford & Sons (BRIT)
18.Bon Jovi (USA)
19.50 Cent (USA)
20.Queen (BRIT)
Only 1 Aussie band's album in the top 20

With the american charts there is 19 americans and 1 british person.

I'm not saying all do but i think a lot of americans think they are superior tothe world. You will most likely shoot me down but if you are don'tcall me a racist because the statement is not that at all.

Scott SoCal said:
It's funny. There is nothing here that even remotely contradicts my position.

Sure there is. The article is about a failure of GM to maintain distinct brands. That had nothing to do the UAW. It has to do with mangement failure. That site has more than 250 GM deathwatch articles. They clearly explain the problems with GMs business, and the labor costs are only a part of it. They covered the entire collapse, starting years before anyone else had bankruptcy on the radar. It is also a right leaning site; you would like it.

They have articles about the number of GM dealers versus the number for Toyota, the waste of ninety billion dollars by former CEO, Roger Smith, the problems with quality, the reasons for rapid depreciation compared to Honda and Toyota, etc. You name it, they covered it. And labor costs play second fiddle to management incompetence.

Bush's and Obama's mistake was not in giving money to prevent the auto collapse from making the recenssion worse but was in allowing the same group of fools sans CEO to remain at Chrysler and GM. The two companies should have been decapitated, and the decapitation line should have gone very deep into management.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
It's official, the 4th night in a row when the tiger woods story has made the headlines of the main 6pm news bulletin. I'm loving the jokes but i'm sick of hearing about it.

auscyclefan94 said:
Here are the current ARIA (Australian music charts) charts for albums.

1. Susan Boyle (BRIT)
2. Michael Buble (CAN)
4. Twilight
5.GLEE
6. Foo Fighters (USA)
7.Black eyed peas (usa)
10. Taylor Swift (USA)
12.Michael Jackson (USA)
13.P!nk (USA)
14.John Mayer (USA)
15.RATED R Rihanna (USA)
16.Rod Stewart (USA)
17.Mumford & Sons (BRIT)
18.Bon Jovi (USA)
19.50 Cent (USA)
20.Queen (USA)

Really?? Wow. Your bands need to get their shit together. If the market operates anything like the U.S. then disguised payola is responsible for who gets radio play.

How the hell can Michael Jackson get any sort of popular support without serious market manipulation. I smell a rat.

When did Rod Stewart and Queen become American?

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
I said majority.

Sorry, i don't mean every single american especially as I have relatives in america. I was making it as a generalised statement. I was using music as an example. Here are the current ARIA (Australian music charts) charts for albums.

1. Susan Boyle (BRIT)
2. Michael Buble (CAN)
4. Twilight
5.GLEE
6. Foo Fighters (USA)
7.Black eyed peas (usa)
10. Taylor Swift (USA)
12.Michael Jackson (USA)
13.P!nk (USA)
14.John Mayer (USA)
15.RATED R Rihanna (USA)
16.Rod Stewart (USA)
17.Mumford & Sons (BRIT)
18.Bon Jovi (USA)
19.50 Cent (USA)
20.Queen (USA)

With the american charts there is 19 americans and 1 british person.

I'm not saying all do but i think a lot of americans think they are superior tothe world. You will most likely shoot me down but if you are don'tcall me a racist because the statement is not that at all.

Looks to me like the Aussies seem to like the same music that the American's do, how come they are not proving American superiority by their choices in the top 20?

I am sure there are times that the top 20 in the US has a number of non-US performers. Just because most Americans think they are living in the best country does not mean they feel superior as humans to others (any more than is usual in human nature) - the attitude may have developed from centuries of immigration from other countries to the US though (again not superior - just that there is no other country most Americans would rather live in).

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Really?? Wow. Your bands need to get their shit together. If the market operates anything like the U.S. then disguised payola is responsible for who gets radio play.

How the hell can Michael Jackson get any sort of popular support without serious market manipulation. I smell a rat.

When did Rod Stewart and Queen become American?

Sorrry about that. i copied it off the site and it was all jumbled around as they had the record labe UMA which is Universal music and i mistaked it for USA. Sorry...

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
CentralCaliBike said:
Looks to me like the Aussies seem to like the same music that the American's do, how come they are not proving American superiority by their choices in the top 20?

I am sure there are times that the top 20 in the US has a number of non-US performers. Just because most Americans think they are living in the best country does not mean they feel superior as humans to others - the attitude may have developed from centuries of immigration from other countries to the US though (again not superior - just that there is no other country most Americans would rather live in).

With all the obama coverage we had on out tv's and listening to what some of the american people were saying about how good they are and just in general it rubbs off that you americans think your better than anyone else. i don't think that about all americans, don't mistake me but that's the vibe you get from an outisder looking in and what a lot of other aussies think as well.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Sorrry about that. i copied it off the site and it was all jumbled around as they had the record labe UMA which is Universal music and i mistaked it for USA. Sorry...

Glad I am not the only one...

Well - got to get some sleep, looks like we are going to get some winter sun and I have a day off to ride.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
With all the obama coverage we had on out tv's and listening to what some of the american people were saying about how good they are and just in general it rubbs off that you americans think your better than anyone else. i don't think that about all americans, don't mistake me but that's the vibe you get from an outisder looking in and what a lot of other aussies think as well.

I am aware of the "vibe" but we get it when we run into you as well, especially when it comes to swimming (soke of us are aware that people other than Michael Phelps have been dominant in the sport).

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
CentralCaliBike said:
I am aware of the "vibe" but we get it when we run into you as well, especially when it comes to swimming.

Don't worry, I understand that, we think our swimmers are the best and are completely innocent and don't take drugs like all the other countries (especially the yanks;)). Trust me, when we were at athens, cycling won a higher percentage of medals than the swimmers did except we had to keep on replaying the swimmers acheivements.

IN the australian media it is portrayed that cycling is the only drugged up sport and swimming is clean as a wistle when it is clean as my 60 year old dad's ****.

Cycling gets a bad, wrong stereotype.

auscyclefan94 said:

I don't think you are misinterpreting anything, most Americans do feel superior to the rest of the world. Some of us recognise it as hubris, but the majority see it as their "god given right as Americans".

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
I don't think you are misinterpreting anything, most Americans do feel superior to the rest of the world. Some of us recognise it as hubris, but the majority see it as their "god given right as Americans".

Why? Do you???

Hugh Januss said:

After having lived for so long outside of the US, I have to agree with this statement, at least as far as the fact that most Americans do feel this way. This attitude, along with that expressed by CentralCaliBikes about things being a "war" between the US and the rest of the world, make me happy that I no longer live in the US.

Susan

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:
After having lived for so long outside of the US, I have to agree with this statement, at least as far as the fact that most Americans do feel this way. This attitude, along with that expressed by CentralCaliBikes about things being a "war" between the US and the rest of the world, make me happy that I no longer live in the US.

Susan

Thank you Hugh and Susan
Why do people feel this way especially the way the share market, interest rates and unimployment rates in america

My father, may he rest in peace, was always saying "that's the kind of thing that can only happen in America" -- always something good of course.

Um, no, Dad, not really.

He was an intelligent, educated man, who traveled often and had an important job, but was never able to break out of his view that the US was the only worthwhile nation in the world.

I never shared or appreciated his view, especially after I left the US.

Susan

A

Anonymous

Susan Westemeyer said:

Susan

I used to joke that being a white Christian male conservative business-owner meant I was part of the last 'group' where it's perfectly ok to attack/discriminate/abuse at the drop of a hat. In fact, in my position, one gets very good at defending one's self.

It never occured to me to add 'American' to my list.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2008/06/americas_generosity_is_unmatch.html

"Americans are hearing so much these days about how bad we are that we're starting to believe it.

In a recent Gallup poll, 68 percent said they are "dissatisfied with the position of the United States in the world today," and 55 percent said they think that the rest of the world views us unfavorably."

The article goes on to talk about private philanthropy by Americans,

"From what I see and what the data shows, Americans don't need government to make them care, contribute, and volunteer. If anything, they need less government so they'll retain and keep control of more of what they produce and subsequently share with those in need.

Other countries may have their own motivations for what causes them to view Americans the way they do. But the data is clear. Americans are unmatched in creating prosperity and sharing it.

It's time to pay closer attention to what Americans do rather than what others say."

Thank goodness China is on the way to replacing the USA as a country to scorn;

http://people-press.org/report/569/americas-place-in-the-world

"The general public and members of the Council on Foreign Relations are apprehensive and uncertain about America’s place in the world. Growing numbers in both groups see the United States playing a less important role globally, while acknowledging the increasing stature of China. And the general public, which is in a decidedly inward-looking frame of mind when it comes to global affairs, is less supportive of increasing the number of U.S. troops in Afghanistan than are CFR members."

The good news for all of you that are weary of the "American Superiority" attitude is within another generation or so America likely will not be in the top three in terms of global influence. Maybe sooner if Obama keep spending like a drunk sailor.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:

Susan

I did not suggest a war between the US and the rest of the world - just a war between the US and fanatical Islam. They have made it clear that the whole world needs to be converted or dead. They are a small minority of Muslims but with nuclear, chemical, and biological weapons they can be every bit as devastating as any pre-nuclear military. They are not happy with Europeans and have demonstrated this with prior attacks in Europe, but if they get their hands on a nuclear weapon they will not be using it on Paris, London, or Berlin - they will use it here (and I believe most Europeans know this as well). While this minority hates all things not Muslim from a cultural perspective, they hate American cultural most. So, that is why there is a war - not because we declared war with them, but because they declared war with us.

Scott SoCal said:
I used to joke that being a white Christian male conservative business-owner meant I was part of the last 'group' where it's perfectly ok to attack/discriminate/abuse at the drop of a hat. In fact, in my position, one gets very good at defending one's self.

It never occured to me to add 'American' to my list.

Considering I am also a white Christian business-owner American (although female and not conservative), I hardly feel as if I were discriminating against myself or my ilk.

I do not "attack/discriminate/abuse" America, merely point out a few flaws. And if I thought it was such a horrible place, I would have long ago given up my citizenship there.

Before I leave this thread for good, I should also mention that I have far more problems with previous presidents than with the current one.

Susan

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:

In thinking about this overnight I still do not see a higher percentage of Americans believing they are better as humans than others (any more than non-Americans have the same attitude). I do believe a higher percentage may believe they are more fortunate than those living in other countries in that we the US has not had the high cost of major battles on our soil for more than a hundred years, has a fairly high standard of living, has a history of providing the opportunity to get ahead, and until recently had a decent economy.

I wonder if the idea that this country is the best place to live in the world came in part from the fact that most people who live here originally came from some other country thinking this was a better place to live - this also may be a reason for the problem many have with a large number of recent immigrants who have been vocal about their thought that the US is not their favorite country, just the one they came to illegally.

CentralCaliBike said:
I did not suggest a war between the US and the rest of the world - just a war between the US and fanatical Islam. They have made it clear that the whole world needs to be converted or dead. They are a small minority of Muslims but with nuclear, chemical, and biological weapons they can be every bit as devastating as any pre-nuclear military.

What about fanatical Christianity?

Ann Coulter: "We should invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity."

The scary thing is that these nuts live in a country that has nuclear, chemical, and biological weapons. Those weapons are not just a fantasy of a flock of chicken hawks looking for the Big Lie to justify an unprovoked invasion. The weapons actually exist. A year ago their kindred spirit had the presidency. Perhaps the U.S. needs some invadin'.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:

Ann Coulter: "We should invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity."

The scary thing is that these nuts live in a country that has nuclear, chemical, and biological weapons. Those weapons are not just a fantasy of a flock of chicken hawks looking for the Big Lie to justify an unprovoked invasion. The weapons actually exist. A year ago their kindred spirit had the presidency. Perhaps the U.S. needs some invadin'.

I think I will wait until Ann Coulter straps a bomb on her 14 or 15 year old and sends them to blow up the Muslims.

I see that you are in agreement with the Muslims on the invasion thing - nice we give you the option of your beliefs.

A

Anonymous

Susan Westemeyer said:
Considering I am also a white Christian business-owner American (although female and not conservative), I hardly feel as if I were discriminating against myself or my ilk.

I do not "attack/discriminate/abuse" America, merely point out a few flaws. And if I thought it was such a horrible place, I would have long ago given up my citizenship there.

Before I leave this thread for good, I should also mention that I have far more problems with previous presidents than with the current one.

Susan

I probably could have been clearer on my comments.

I have a better idea. You stay and I'll go. What was mildly entertaining is now becoming mildly offensive with stuff like this "Perhaps the U.S. needs some invadin'. ".

I'll show myself out.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:
I probably could have been clearer on my comments.

I have a better idea. You stay and I'll go. What was mildly entertaining is now becoming mildly offensive with stuff like this "Perhaps the U.S. needs some invadin'. ".

I'll show myself out.

Sorry to see you leave - much has been entertaining on this thread. Certainly the views BroDeal recently expressed are offensive but I am not in favor either forcing him to think differently (if that could be done) or letting him comment without pointing out the fundamental flaws in that logic, since there might be others out there who are unfamiliar but willing to listen to an opposing viewpoint.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:

Christian Fundamentalists scare me more then Islamic Fundamentalists could ever do.

Status
Not open for further replies.