• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

World Politics

Page 449 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Clinton, Blair befriended businessman charged in UK bribery case

Victor P. Dahdaleh, who was charged with bribery by British authorities on Monday, has no shortage of powerful connections. The international businessman counts former U.S. President Bill Clinton and former British Prime Minister Tony Blair as friends and beneficiaries of his generosity.

Peter Mandelson, who was EU commissioner for foreign trade, introduced Dahdaleh in a 2006 speech to the Canada-UK Chamber of Commerce as "Victor my friend" and described him as "a business dynamo, a public-spirited figure and a big-hearted personality all rolled into one."

Britain's Serious Fraud Office (SFO) allege Dahdaleh was also corrupt. They have charged him with paying bribes to officials of Aluminium Bahrain B.S.C., a smelting company whose majority owner is the Bahrain government.

The SFO said the payments, made between 2001 and 2005, were connected to contracts that the American aluminium giant, Alcoa, Inc., made for supplies of alumina shipped to Bahrain from Australia.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/10/25/idINIndia-60117720111025

Charges against Dahdaleh

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
...appears that the New NeoCon American Revolution, as introduced by Ronald Reagan, has a ways to go before it becomes truly world class...

"One percent of American people own 90% of the wealth. One ten-thousandth of the Chinese people own 90% of the wealth. In the end, who should have a revolution? Which street should be occupied?" wrote Wu Xianjian on his Sina microblog last weekend.

....from....http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/wor...g-grows-nervous-about-occupy-wall-street.html

Cheers

blutto

May 13, 2009
Visit site
blutto said:
...appears that the New NeoCon American Revolution, as introduced by Ronald Reagan, has a ways to go before it becomes truly world class...

"One percent of American people own 90% of the wealth. One ten-thousandth of the Chinese people own 90% of the wealth. In the end, who should have a revolution? Which street should be occupied?" wrote Wu Xianjian on his Sina microblog last weekend.

....from....http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/wor...g-grows-nervous-about-occupy-wall-street.html

Cheers

blutto

Well, they tried Tiananmen square, but we all know how that went.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Cobblestones said:
Well, they tried Tiananmen square, but we all know how that went.

When google.cn used to exist I googled Tiananmen square, the Tank man's presence was conspicuously missing.
Now there's only google HK.

Blutto, good article that, holds true for many countries.

A

Anonymous

VeloCity said:
Odd how the tea party folks weren't all that outraged when spending and deficits were soaring under Bush. Odd how they weren't outraged at the incredible waste in Iraq - how much have we spent there now? Could you imagine if Obama did something like this?

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jun/13/world/la-fg-missing-billions-20110613

Man, you'd think that sending 21 cargo planes filled with $12 billion worth of shrink-wrapped cash, $6.6 billion of which simply disappeared, would've ****ed them off a bit, but nope, apparently not.

Odd that they weren't protesting the raising of the debt ceiling what, 7 times during the Bush years?

They really didn't seem to have much of a problem with all of the things that they're supposedly so mad about now that there's a black Democrat in the White House. Kinda makes one suspect that it's not the economy or the deficits or spending that really ****es off the tea baggers...

Odd how the tea party folks weren't all that outraged when spending and deficits were soaring under Bush. Odd how they weren't outraged at the incredible waste in Iraq - how much have we spent there now? Could you imagine if Obama did something like this?

TP started in 2009. I suspect many of the same people were grumbling about many things Bush had done and was doing.

Man, you'd think that sending 21 cargo planes filled with $12 billion worth of shrink-wrapped cash, $6.6 billion of which simply disappeared, would've ****ed them off a bit, but nope, apparently not.

That's horrendous, no matter who's in charge. Prison time is not a harsh enough punishment for those that are responsible here.

Odd that they weren't protesting the raising of the debt ceiling what, 7 times during the Bush years?

Fair criticism. Obama has increased the national debt by over 40% since he took office. I guess those concerned with the debt should just STFU?

They really didn't seem to have much of a problem with all of the things that they're supposedly so mad about now that there's a black Democrat in the White House. Kinda makes one suspect that it's not the economy or the deficits or spending that really ****es off the tea baggers..

This is particularly true when one is predisposed to paint anyone a racist who disagrees with the modern liberal's position.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
This is particularly true when one is predisposed to paint anyone a racist who disagrees with the modern liberal's position.[/QUOTE]

...well considering that particular relationship has been a very long, rich and storied part in the American historical experience it not that odd that one could be predisposed to make that connection....because to be completely honest about it the cast of characters that have played in the theatre of American political life really haven't changed that much over the last couple of centuries....

...and as long as we are discussing racists in American politics has anyone else noticed the number of times SoCal dregs that theme up...I wonder if it is just some sort of like a weird verbal tic....

Cheers

blutto

A

Anonymous

blutto said:
This is particularly true when one is predisposed to paint anyone a racist who disagrees with the modern liberal's position.

...well considering that particular relationship has been a very long, rich and storied part in the American historical experience it not that odd that one could be predisposed to make that connection....because to be completely honest about it the cast of characters that have played in the theatre of American political life really haven't changed that much over the last couple of centuries....

...and as long as we are discussing racists in American politics has anyone else noticed the number of times SoCal dregs that theme up...I wonder if it is just some sort of like a weird verbal tic....

Cheers

blutto[/QUOTE]

???

Uh, yeah. I just randomly bring up racism in politics because it answers so many questions for me. :rolleyes:

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Oh I have no problem saying it flat out: imo the fact that Obama is black is a very big reason why many tea partiers (not Republicans generally, not conservatives generally) hate him.

A

Anonymous

VeloCity said:
Oh I have no problem saying it flat out: imo the fact that Obama is black is a very big reason why many tea partiers (not Republicans generally, not conservatives generally) hate him.

That's why many of those same people opposed Clinton as well.

Yeah, it's racism.:rolleyes:

May 18, 2009
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:

Except you liked Clinton of course for reasons that defy logic, conveniently in unprovable hindsight.

Yeah, what a coincidence. :rolleyes:

A

Anonymous

Cobblestones said:
Clinton, during his time, was sometimes dubbed the 'first black president'.

True, but he's actually a white guy who once accused the Obama campaign of "playing the race card" against Hillary during th '08 primaries.

Of course this means nothing because Bill, Hill and BO can't possibly be racist because they are not conservative.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:
True, but he's actually a white guy who once accused the Obama campaign of "playing the race card" against Hillary during th '08 primaries.

Of course this means nothing because Bill, Hill and BO can't possibly be racist because they are not conservative.

I was just about adding a link to give it context. It wasn't a positive attribute at first.

Scott SoCal said:

Or we could also just as easily say that the GOP presidential candidates and Tea Partiers aren't above suspision of being racists, because they aren't liberals.

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:

Of the two candidates running for president in '08, one we know for a fact was born outside of the US - John McCain. But it was the other one - the black one, with the foreign-sounding name - who the far right demanded produce a birth certificate. Why d'ya suppose that was?

Course, then there's this:

For instance, the Tea Party, the grassroots movement committed to reining in what they perceive as big government, and fiscal irresponsibility, also appear predisposed to intolerance. Approximately 45% of Whites either strongly or somewhat approve of the movement. Of those, only 35% believe Blacks to be hardworking, only 45 % believe Blacks are intelligent, and only 41% think that Blacks are trustworthy. Perceptions of Latinos aren’t much different. While 54% of White Tea Party supporters believe Latinos to be hardworking, only 44% think them intelligent, and even fewer, 42% of Tea Party supporters believe Latinos to be trustworthy.

http://depts.washington.edu/uwiser/racepolitics.html

A

Anonymous

ChrisE said:
Except you liked Clinton of course for reasons that defy logic, conveniently in unprovable hindsight.

Yeah, what a coincidence. :rolleyes:

I did not appreciate the job Clinton was doing at the time economically. I never said I liked him while he was in office.

What I said was I would vote for him today over any of the choices I will have in 2012. In hindsight, I have to agree with Art Laffer... What clinton accomplished was impressive.

Not that any of this will impact your trolling... so keep firing away

May 23, 2010
Visit site
With Liberty and Justice for Some

""As multiple episodes demonstrate, a belief that elite immunity is both necessary and justified became the prevailing ethos in the nation’s most influential circles. In countless instances over recent years, prominent political and media figures have insisted that serious crimes by the most powerful should be overlooked— either in the name of the common good, or in the name of a warped conception of fairness according to which those with the greatest power are the most entitled to deference and understanding.""

http://www.salon.com/2011/10/25/book_excerpt_with_liberty_and_justice_for_some/

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:
can't possibly be racist because they are not conservative.
No one says that except you - racism exists everywhere, and there are plenty of liberal racists. But I don't think even you can deny that racism is far more prevalent among conservatives than it is among liberals. It's a big reason why Republicans get so little minority support, even when they agree with other factors like economic policy. But why would any African-American or Hispanic vote for the party of Rush Limbaugh?

May 23, 2010
Visit site
VeloCity said:
No one says that except you - racism exists everywhere, and there are plenty of liberal racists. But I don't think even you can deny that racism is far more prevalent among conservatives than it is among liberals. It's a big reason why Republicans get so little minority support, even when they agree with other factors like economic policy. But why would any African-American or Hispanic vote for the party of Rush Limbaugh?

Why would any woman vote for the party of Phyllis Schlafly???

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
VeloCity said:

I would like to believe that deep down even Scott knows this to be true, it is so incredibly obvious to everyone else.

I particularly like #11.:D

15 Major Differences Between Occupy Wall Street And The Tea Party Protests

1. Occupy Wall Street is a grassroots movement, funded by people around the world, without corporate sponsorship.
The Tea Party is an AstroTurf movement, receiving most of its funding from corporate sponsorship, and Fox News and its supporters.

2. Occupy Wall Street wants less corporate influence over our Government.
The Tea Party wants less Governmental influence over corporations.

3. Occupy Wall Street didn’t receive mainstream media coverage until several weeks after it began.
The Tea Party held rallies across the country sponsored by Fox News, and even small rallies with minimal turnout received attention from other media outlets.

4. Occupy Wall Street protesters are unarmed.
The Tea Party protesters openly carried a large variety of guns, including assault rifles.

5. Over 1,000 Occupy Wall Street Protesters have been arrested.
Zero Tea Party Protesters have been arrested.

6. Occupy Wall Street doesn’t endorse either political party.
The Tea Party actively endorsed the Republican Party.

7. Occupy Wall Street protests have sparked similar protests around the world.
The Tea Party protests were ridiculed around the world.

8. Occupy Wall Street protests have more than 50% approval from the general public.
The Tea Party protests peaked at 18% approval from the general public.

9. Occupy Wall Street protesters represent the poor, the disenfranchised, and the people who don’t feel like they have a voice in our Government.
The Tea Party protesters represented the wealthy, the elite, and the corporations who already have too much influence in our Government.

10. Occupy Wall Street doesn’t want politicians to co-opt their movement.
The Tea Party protests regularly featured speeches from conservative political figures like Sarah Palin and Glenn Beck.

11. Occupy Wall Street protesters signs are spelled correctly.
Many Tea Party protest signs featured glaring spelling and grammatical errors.

12. Occupy Wall Street is supported by the youth in this country.
A majority of the Tea Party’s support came from middle-age citizens and people 65 and up.

13. Occupy Wall Street represents the 99% of Americans who aren’t millionaires and billionaires, and who don’t have a voice in our Government.
The Tea Party represents the wealthiest Americans, and wants the Government to stop trying to tax them.

14. Occupy Wall Street protesters are setting up camps across the country, to get attention from the media and to show that they’re serious.
The Tea Party went home as soon as their corporately sponsored rallies were over.

15. Occupy Wall Street has received endless criticism from the right-wing.
The Tea Party received endless and unconditional praise from the right-wing.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2011/1...ccupy-wall-street-and-the-tea-party-protests/

A

Anonymous

VeloCity said:

No one says that except you

And you. Your words;

They really didn't seem to have much of a problem with all of the things that they're supposedly so mad about now that there's a black Democrat in the White House. Kinda makes one suspect that it's not the economy or the deficits or spending that really ****es off the tea baggers...

the party of Rush Limbaugh?

Which party does he run?

But I don't think even you can deny that racism is far more prevalent among conservatives than it is among liberals. It's a big reason why Republicans get so little minority support,

Would it surprise you to know the Tea Party began with an emails exchange between a Hispanic American woman and an Asian American woman? Imagine that. Minority women starting the Tea Party.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
ramjambunath said:
Amster, I read both articles and I am left with a question nagging me. What exactly does child abuse refer to within the frame of the article? Does it include both mental and physical abuse or only physical abuse.

The word neglected is used but mental / psychological abuse isn't encompassed by neglect.

I'm really not sure, but I would guess that the instances they are referring to are ones that are either reported or witnessed at a hospital, or by a doctor or some kind of social services, so that they become a 'statistic'. That suggests that on the whole, they're talking about physical 'injury' abuse. I would again guess that much of what might be called neglect, rather than outright abuse, goes entirely unrecorded. How do you find out about the neglect that leads to abuse when you don't have the means to check on or help these people?

May 23, 2010
Visit site
"""
The oil services giant did a lot of business in Libya -- before, during, and after whatever passed for sanctions over the decades.

ABOUT HALLIBURTON

Libya

"We hope Iraq will be the first domino and that Libya and Iran will follow. We don't like being kept out of markets because it gives our competitors an unfair advantage," John Gibson, chief executive of Halliburton's Energy Service Group, told International Oil Daily in an interview in May of 2003.1

Some of the most significant sanctions against doing business with Libya were put in place by President Reagan in 1986, in response to the country's use and support of terrorism against the United States and other countries. The sanctions banned most sales of goods, technology and services to Libya. They provided for criminal penalties of up to 10 years in prison and $500,000 in corporate and $250,000 in individual fines.2

Despite these sanctions, Halliburton subsidiary Brown & Root had worked in Libya ever since the 1980s. The company helped construct a system of underground pipes and wells that purportedly are intended to carry water. But according to Congressman Waxman, "some experts believe that the pipes have a military purpose. The pipes are large enough to accommodate military vehicles and appear to be more elaborate than is needed for holding water. The company began working on the project in 1984 and transferred the work to its British office after the 1986 sanctions were enacted in the United States.3

In 1995, Halliburton was fined $3.8 million for re-exporting U.S. goods through a foreign subsidiary to Libya in violation of U.S. sanctions.4 The company reportedly peddled oil drilling tools (pulse neutron generators) that critics say can be used to trigger nuclear bombs.5 So, while the Bush administration triumphs over Libya's recent surrender of weapons of mass destruction programs to U.S. authorities, it was Halliburton which contributed to their creation in the first place. ""

A

Anonymous

More contrast to the Tea Party;

Pair Living With Occupy Boston Protesters Arrested For Selling Heroin

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2011/10/24/pair-living-with-occupy-boston-protesters-arrested-for-selling-heroin/

And;

classic_occupy_wall_street_protest_signs_640_22.jpg

Now comes some coherence in their messaging;

classic_occupy_wall_street_protest_signs_640_11.jpg

Impressive. Really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS