• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Worlds 2018 teaser

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Valv.Piti said:
What be an absolutely epic race that would be! As far as I can understand (which is 0,00000005% when it comes to Italian), its the proposed route and UCI needs to accept it?

Suggested primary route from Innsbruck yes. So 98% chance for UCI to mess this up.

Final climb is too long and too steep. 3km at 11% would scare riders, could turn into a shitty murito race where nothing happens for 250km except for a war of attrition and a group of 20 take on the climb. Needs to be shorter. Maximum one and half km at that percentage. 3km has to be at 9% maximum. It can have 400m at more than 15% but the rest needs to be fairly shallow imo. If the ending is too hard then it just turns into an Ardennes race.

Yes, apparently it's the proposed route.

Re:

Brullnux said:
Final climb is too long and too steep. 3km at 11% would scare riders, could turn into a shitty murito race where nothing happens for 250km except for a war of attrition and a group of 20 take on the climb. Needs to be shorter. Maximum one and half km at that percentage. 3km has to be at 9% maximum. It can have 400m at more than 15% but the rest needs to be fairly shallow imo. If the ending is too hard then it just turns into an Ardennes race.

On one hand you might be right that the climb will scare riders. On the other hand I don't know if riders won't be all over the road anyway after 269 km full of climbing.

Re:

Brullnux said:

Well, on the other hand, it is so hard that only the very best can wait for it. Everyone else needs to start it before the favorites, a bit like in the OGRR.

Re:

Brullnux said:

It sounds like you are genuinely disappointed with this route......

Hardest WCRR since, when, Colombia in 1995? There's probably even more climbing on this one.

Re: Re:

Netserk said:
Brullnux said:

Well, on the other hand, it is so hard that only the very best can wait for it. Everyone else needs to start it before the favorites, a bit like in the OGRR.

True, but 9 man teams. I struggle to believe Italy and Spain will not chase down a lot before the last 30km loop. I am not sure if GvA will be allowed out again.

Of course, it is so hard that riders will be strewn across the road. But I don't necessarily want a war of attrition, I want tactics to play a big part as well. All I really want is a shorter second climb and that would make it the most fun route in many many years.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
1jxbmt.jpg

I like Schögelsbach as the first climb and the final is just nasty, it would still be a great route if they replaced the Gramart climb with something a bit easier it would still be a monster WC route.

Brullnux said:
Netserk said:
Brullnux said:

True, but 9 man teams. I struggle to believe Italy and Spain will not chase down a lot before the last 30km loop. I am not sure if GvA will be allowed out again.

Of course, it is so hard that riders will be strewn across the road. But I don't necessarily want a war of attrition, I want tactics to play a big part as well. All I really want is a shorter second climb and that would make it the most fun route in many many years.
Then again which country attacked early because they thought their leader will lose on the last climb against other climbers?

The attack wasn't planned, it was in the spur of the moment. It was also with only one climb to go. I wouldn't be surprised if people attacked with 25 to go, but with this race I doubt any serious moves will go before the last loop. It isn't bad but it could be much better with the options.

Re:

Brullnux said:
The attack wasn't planned, it was in the spur of the moment. It was also with only one climb to go. I wouldn't be surprised if people attacked with 25 to go, but with this race I doubt any serious moves will go before the last loop. It isn't bad but it could be much better with the options.
Tbh, I agree that the route is still anything but perfect. But nevertheless I'm really looking forward to this.

I'd rather have that steep climb before the long climb and ofcourse it could be better, but this would be great.

So far too much chance of waiting for the final climb. Maybe it would be better to include that steep climb in the 2 rounds before the final round and leave it out in the final climb.

Val di Fassa '11 was 7h27'
Firenze '14 was 7h25'
Last WC over 7h before that was '95 @ 7h09'
Briançon '00 (TdF) was 7h56' <-- Does anyone know why it was so slow?
Petrano '09 was 7h11'
MSR '08: 7h14'
MSR '05: 7h11'
MSR '04: 7h11'
MSR '01: 7h23'
MSR '00: 7h11'

I just poked around a bit, but it doesn't seem like it happens very often that a race is over 7h. I'm sure there's some obvious GT stages that I haven't checked that are there as well (in CQ's time frame).

BTW I think it's a bit stupid that none of the flatter worlds are anywhere near MSR in length...

Re:

Netserk said:

It was a long day and they soft-pedaled the first two hours at 30 km/h.

In Giro 2000 there was a medium mountain stage which took 7h50'. 1996 even 7h55'...so for the gruppetto almost nine hours.

Longest WRR should be Frascati 1955. 8h43' in an oven by the end of August near Rome for 296 kms.

portugal11 said:
This race will be the longest in modern cycling. Almost 8 hours of racing should be epic but i fear that GB and Australia will kill this race

8 hrs of cycling means 7:40 of crying why nothing is happening. :D

Re:

Netserk said:
Firenze '14 was 7h25'
Petrano '09 was 7h11'

I just poked around a bit, but it doesn't seem like it happens very often that a race is over 7h. I'm sure there's some obvious GT stages that I haven't checked that are there as well (in CQ's time frame).

BTW I think it's a bit stupid that none of the flatter worlds are anywhere near MSR in length...
The 2015 Giro stage to Fiuggi was 7h22'. 264km, headwind, on hilly terrain. Can't have been a nice recovery ride for Bertie

Red Rick said:
Netserk said:
Firenze '14 was 7h25'
Petrano '09 was 7h11'

The 2015 Giro stage to Fiuggi was 7h22'. 264km, headwind, on hilly terrain. Can't have been a nice recovery ride for Bertie

Yes and no. The sheer length in itself is/was a problem, but the fact that it was a headwind and if I remember correctly, a very boring and uneventful stage bar the finale, his heart rate average and wattage averages have been waaay down.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts